CMhelper: Can I change the name of an ongoing PBEM?

I started a PBEM with the default title "Quick Battle 001", but my opponent says this is a problem for him because he already plays other games that use that naming/numbering scheme. However, if he changes the name of the file, that confused CMhelper and it stops recognising the incoming files.

Can I teach CMhelper that this game has changed name, or do we have to start over?

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

Can I teach CMhelper that this game has changed name, or do we have to start over?

I think it can be changed during the game (never tried it). If you right click on the game line in the CM helper window EDIT GAME will appear.  Use this to tell CM Helper where the Dropbox folder is whenever the Dropbox folder does not match the game file name.  You will both have to do this.   See if that helps at all.

As you probably know now, and hopefully your opponent, whenever using a Quick Battle map instead of a scenario for a PBEM I would always start the game file with a name like: Bullet vs Other Guy 001.      

3 hours ago, IanL said:

I'm not a user of CMHelper but can't you just tell it to forget about your game "Quick Battle" and then start the "new" game "Cool new game name" and live happily ever after? That's how to handle that issue in Whose Turn Is It?

Yep, we could do that. Would just need both players to re-purchase and then re-deploy. But since we'd get a new map, all hours spent pondering plans would be lost. No big deal, but if we could just rename the existing game, then it would be better.

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

As you probably know now, and hopefully your opponent, whenever using a Quick Battle map instead of a scenario for a PBEM I would always start the game file with a name like: Bullet vs Other Guy 001. 

Yes that's the way to go. I used to play H2H scenarios exclusively, so didn't run into this problem before.

1 minute ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yep, we could do that. Would just need both players to re-purchase and then re-deploy. But since we'd get a new map, all hours spent pondering plans would be lost. No big deal, but if we could just rename the existing game, then it would be better.

What, no that's not what I mean.

Just tell CMHelper you quit the game. The play a round with the new file name - manually. Then tell CMHelper to pick up the new game.

Don't re start just change it and lie to the computer - it wouldn't take offense :D

Anyone can delete the game name and type in a new one (put in the turn number too) and save it. Then the manually get the file to the other player. That player can play a turn and they new name should be the default. Done you have a renamed game that you are continueing to play. Now lie to CMHelper. Done :)

3 hours ago, sburke said:

I have changed game names so yeah it can be done.  Just edit the actual save and then refresh cm helper with the new name file 

You mean I open my turn (called something like Quick Battle 002), deploy, then click end turn button - and then change the file name to "Bulletpoint VS other guy 003"?

Then how do I "refresh" CMhelper with this new game file? 

I believe if you follow @MOS:96B2P instructions above you can figure it out.  I don’t have it handy right now to try.    It might even be that cmhelper will recognize the new save as a new pbem game. I semi recall that happening. You might just need to share that file with your opponent. 

17 minutes ago, sburke said:

It might even be that cmhelper will recognize the new save as a new pbem game. I semi recall that happening. You might just need to share that file with your opponent. 

Yes, I tried it and this is exactly what happened. I then right-clicked the "new" game file in CMhelper and initiated dropbox sharing with my opponent. Hopefully we can go on normally from here, and I can delete the old defect game.