Forward Observer can't call in airstrike, platoon leaders can

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

all the platoon leaders are able to call in even airstrikes...

Yep.  In CMFB anybody who can call in artillery can also call in airstrikes.  I'm not saying I think that its correct for this to happen but it has always been this way in CMFB.  I think I started a forum topic on this.  I'll see if I can find it.  

The F/O can normally call in air or artillery.  So maybe some problem specific to the campaign/scenario?   

EDIT:  Here is the link for the prior conversation we had on airstrikes in CMFB.  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Ok, I figured out what is going on:

It's a campaign where you continue playing with the same units. I lost both Forward Observers in an earlier battle, and while their manpower has been replenished, the actual replacement guy is not an observer.

So in a sense, I guess it is a kind of bug. They wouldn't replace the observer with a random guy with a rifle I suppose.

Bulletpoint,

Can't speak to how things are done in the game, but I can speak to the real world situation. People who could bring down airstrikes were few and far between. At GOOD WOOD, the British had a grand total of one Air Co-Operation tank, and it got knocked out almost immediately. That was it for British CAS. During fighting for the Bourgebous Ridge, the British had a prime Tiffie target, tens of Panzers milling about in the open, but it took 10 hours to get planes on the scene. On the American side, you didn't have the TACP or whatever you call it below Combat Command level, typically up front with the lead battalion when in action. Here's the best info I've found.

Case Studies in the Development of Close Air Support, Office of Air Force History, U.S.A.F. 1990

http://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100924-035.pdf

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...
On 30.4.2018 at 8:44 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Ok, I figured out what is going on:

It's a campaign where you continue playing with the same units. I lost both Forward Observers in an earlier battle, and while their manpower has been replenished, the actual replacement guy is not an observer.

So in a sense, I guess it is a kind of bug. They wouldn't replace the observer with a random guy with a rifle I suppose.

Good spot, that is probably the issue

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, gundolf said:

Same for all core teams in a campaign across the board. Assistant gunners in an MG team will take the weapon, but in the next battle the remnant will no longer have it. 

But if the designated gunner gets killed, will the replacement gunner still have the "gunner" tag?

On 6/9/2018 at 6:42 PM, Bulletpoint said:

But if the designated gunner gets killed, will the replacement gunner still have the "gunner" tag?

I believe if the gunner is killed, the A-gunner picks up the weapon for the remainder of the scenario. Then when the attrited MG team shows up in the next battle, it will be the same A-gunner, but he will not have the crewed weapon. If in contrast it was the original gunner who survives he will carry the weapon through. I have only tested this with the 191xA4 2 man mg team. But I believe it happens with other equipment too for core units in a campaign from one batte to another.

39 minutes ago, gundolf said:
On 9/6/2018 at 11:42 PM, Bulletpoint said:

I believe if the gunner is killed, the A-gunner picks up the weapon for the remainder of the scenario. Then when the attrited MG team shows up in the next battle, it will be the same A-gunner, but he will not have the crewed weapon. If in contrast it was the original gunner who survives he will carry the weapon through. I have only tested this with the 191xA4 2 man mg team. But I believe it happens with other equipment too for core units in a campaign from one batte to another.

Thanks for the info, but my question was about the "gunner" status, not the actual weapon...

Edited by Bulletpoint