Your preferred mod setup?

robertiv

Hi all, relatively new CMBS player here - just wanted to get some mod recommendations.

Thus far I've been playing only singleplayer We-go campaigns, so mods oriented toward that experience are my main curiosity. I've installed a bunch of Kieme's excellent improved textures but beyond that am a little overwhelmed by the selection.

Are there good AI or balance mods out there? Other enhancements? Also any player-designed campaigns or especially cool maps that work well in SP are always appreciated. I do have The Eagle & Bear and Mountains of Allah campaigns installed (haven't tried them yet though).

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, robertiv said:

Hi all, relatively new CMBS player here - just wanted to get some mod recommendations.

Thus far I've been playing only singleplayer We-go campaigns, so mods oriented toward that experience are my main curiosity. I've installed a bunch of Kieme's excellent improved textures but beyond that am a little overwhelmed by the selection.

Are there good AI or balance mods out there? Other enhancements? Also any player-designed campaigns or especially cool maps that work well in SP are always appreciated. I do have The Eagle & Bear and Mountains of Allah campaigns installed (haven't tried them yet though).

Thanks in advance!

Get the Task Force Spartan Resolve campaign and mod set ;-)

5 hours ago, robertiv said:

Are there good AI or balance mods out there? Other enhancements?

As far as I know, it's not possible to mod the core gameplay of Combat Mission.  I think there's some "research" into changing models around, but nothing so far as AI or other gameplay changing mods.  Balance-wise, it's up to you, the player!

Shameless self-plug, but if you like explosions you might like mine:

Graphics-wise I run with a lot of Kieme's work, and in some places I use Aris' textures.

Thanks guys.

I've picked up the SR mod set (plus the others he recommended) and your explosions mod. The game definitely looks & sounds better, I appreciate all the hard work.

So it looks like the "finished" user campaigns are: Spartan Resolve, Mountains of Allah, Eagle & Bear. Do we know if there are any others in the works?

Also if anyone else wants to chime in with their recommendations, feel free!

22 hours ago, Erwin said:

For CMBS have you already got all Kieme's terrain and more recently, Oleks' vehicular and uniform mods?

I have both Kieme's terrain & vehicle textures installed. I'm guessing Oleks' would conflict with the latter though?

And thanks Mord - I already had the vehicle chatter one (very well executed), now installed the portraits. Big step up from the stock ones, although I wish the game allowed variation (randomized if nothing else) from one unit to another.

Glad you like 'em

32 minutes ago, robertiv said:

although I wish the game allowed variation (randomized if nothing else) from one unit to another.

I don't! That CMBS mod was tiny. The CMBN mod has 2500 portraits! The RT mod has around 900 (only because the Russians didn't use any identification for formations that I could find). I would've went insane trying to randomize them! However, I wish there were more portraits for formations within the different armies, like Engineers, Rangers, StuG Brigades, Tank Destroyers, etc.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Does putting all one's mods into a brz have any advantage re speed of loading etc? 

My concern is that mods get obsolete as newer versions of CM2 are released, and new, better mods are often produced.  It's very hard/very time consuming to keep up with everything that is available.  So, I have all mods unpacked and visible in my Z folders.