10:20 PM Still Light Outside?

For 2017 sunset in Caen on 1st August will be 21:40, for  31st August it will be 20:46. So twighlight at 22:20 in early August may not be too far off the mark.  Anecdotally it is still pretty light here in North Western England well after 22:00 at the moment.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/france/caen?month=8&year=2017

Edited by cyrano01
Add URL

AFAIK in the summers of 1941 to 1945, during the Second World War, Britain was two hours ahead of GMT and operating on British Double Summer Time (BDST). So essentially in the same timezone as continental France. Central European Summer Time (CEST) is 2 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).

In many british and canadian unit diaries for june you can read that first light was about 04:30 hours and last light was about 22:30 hours. That is pretty much within Nautical Twilight as you can glean from the info here:

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/france/caen

June Solstice (Summer Solstice) is on Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2017, 06:24 in Caen. In terms of daylight, this day is 8 hours, 2 minutes longer than on December Solstice. In most locations north of Equator, the longest day of the year is around this date.

Earliest sunrise is on 16. Juni. Latest sunset is on 25. Juni.

So CM seems to be reasonably close with dusk- and dawntimes in the twilight phases for summer 1944 in normandy.

On 7/4/2017 at 0:27 AM, Wicky said:

Yes star fields are depicted and if you look carefully it even features the space station orbiting above along with assorted meteor showers....

I saw two shooting stars last night / I wished on them / but they were only satellites / it's wrong to wish on space hardware / I wish I wish I wish you cared... 

14 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

I saw two shooting stars last night / I wished on them / but they were only satellites / it's wrong to wish on space hardware / I wish I wish I wish you cared... 

God, I had a full head hair when this came out. Ah, we were all so much younger then.