A basic CMx2 graphics resolution question (eyesight and text size)

Here's something I've been wondering.  It's a simple question, but I don't know the answer.

I play CMx2 games at a native 1920x1080 resolution.  Now that I'm getting older and have a more serious glasses prescription, I find it difficult to read the tiny briefing and other informational text.

I have a decent graphics card.  If I were to buy a larger monitor and kick things up to 2560x1440, would the game text be larger, or would it remain the same tiny size while only the area for actual game action became larger?

1 hour ago, Holman said:

Here's something I've been wondering.  It's a simple question, but I don't know the answer.

I play CMx2 games at a native 1920x1080 resolution.  Now that I'm getting older and have a more serious glasses prescription, I find it difficult to read the tiny briefing and other informational text.

I have a decent graphics card.  If I were to buy a larger monitor and kick things up to 2560x1440, would the game text be larger, or would it remain the same tiny size while only the area for actual game action became larger?

No, they get smaller. Your best option is a bigger monitor (40" is good) and keep the resolution at 1080p that will make it easier to read.

11 hours ago, nightops said:

Your best option is a bigger monitor (40" is good) and keep the resolution at 1080p that will make it easier to read.

Maybe a cheaper solution would be to keep your existing monitor and go to a lower resolution, say 900X600 or something like that. Since I haven't tried that with CM I can't guarantee that it will work, but it seems to work in general with computer graphics and text.

Michael

Yeah, it's an annoying issue.  Even though I have a 30" monitor capable of 2560x1600, I have to reduce resolution to 1920x1200 just to be able to read the text.  :(

I wonder why that hasn't been addressed in all these years.  My next monitor will be UHD and unless it's huge like a 50+" TV, the res will have to be reduced.

10 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Maybe a cheaper solution would be to keep your existing monitor and go to a lower resolution, say 900X600 or something like that. Since I haven't tried that with CM I can't guarantee that it will work, but it seems to work in general with computer graphics and text.

Michael

Cheaper and nastier, 900x600 is brutal.

• 1 month later...

The problem is that with computer monitors as the screen area goes up so does the resolution; meaning the text gets even smaller.

Now 1080p (Full HD) for TV's is always 1080 x 1920.  Whether that is a 20" TV or 80" TV.  Your pixels and text just get bigger.

I have two displays.  A 21" 1600x1200 NEC Monitor and a 32" 1080p SONY TV.  The TV is great for games with small text.

But some older games that only support 4:3 or have scalable text, I play on the 21" like shooting pool; somewhat crisper image.

The resolution will only "go up with a larger monitor" if that larger monitor is capable of higher resolutions than your smaller monitor.  If the "larger monitor" is only capable of the same resolution as the smaller monitor, then the text will get larger just as with your TV example.

And of course you can reduce the resolution of a monitor to get larger text.  I play on a 30" 2760 x 1600 res monitor.  But I reduce res to 1920 x 1200 just so I can read the text. 

Am dismayed that BF can't provide scaleable text options after all these years.