Request: Follow command

Forgive me if this has been asked for and discussed to death. If it has, you are excused, but I'd like to see a follow command that I can issue to units. As it stands now, getting a column of vehicles (of different speeds) down a road all together can be a nightmare. Faster units bump into slower ones and cause a backup that looks like the traffic in Seattle.

A FOLLOW command would tell that unit to follow the selected unit at whatever distance they are at that point, regardless of their speed. Thus, you could set up columns not to mention saving time since you wouldnt have to plot out 10 vehicles. You could direct one to a location then the rest follow. You could then break the follow command by issuing a MOVE command during the plot by selecting an area for that vehicle to break off and head to OR you could stop it altogther at the next movement phase.

With respect to infantry, you could plot a course for one unit using multiple waypoints and other could follow him with one click.

Whadya think?

TeAcH

Im wishing for acceptance in a CM1 patch or CM2. Thanks

------------------

"Ah-ah, I know what you're thinking. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5. Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful hand gun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky. Well, do ya punk?"

[This message has been edited by TeAcH (edited 08-29-2000).]

Guest Pershing Predator

The notion of a follow command seems cool. It makes me wonder if any sort of formation command could be included with it? Nothing complicated but a wedge or a reverse wedge, etc. I know that may seem to a lot of people like a venture into the other types of RTS games, but it'd be worthwhile to be able to order your units into certain formations, and then have another formed-up group behind them follow.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

There is already one order that works; MOVE.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're dreaming. Try moving 10 or so vehicles down a road togheter. The crash and bash into each other the whole way. It's impossible to coordinate.

A "follow" command would be a HUGE help in those scenarios where the weather is "Mud" and vehicles have to stick to roads.

As it is now, I skip those scenarios if there are a lot of vehicles. It's nothing more than an exercise in frustration.

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 08-30-2000).]

The other day I was playing a scenario against a buddy and wanted to shuffle all my troops to the other side of the map via a back road. Try as I might, It was a mess. The endf result was a major loss of turns trying to get these vehilce laden with troops to move at top speed (as fast as the slowest could go).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

Forgive me if this has been asked for and discussed to death.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are forgiven. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I, too, started one of many threads about this a while back, so I know where you're coming from.

Lost of people seem to want it, but I can't remember seeing any offical BTS comments on it. confused.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb wink.gif

[This message has been edited by IntelWeenie (edited 08-30-2000).]

I'd say no for a follow command.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...you could plot a course for one unit using multiple waypoints and other could follow him with one click.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is too much like a RTS game command, which CM is definitely not. Simply use the move command; group all the units in a dragable box and click move for the lead vehicle. This was discussed to death when people wanted a convoy waypoint command. More useless "simplifying" imho.

-johnS

Tiger, thanks for your opinion. I disagree. No amount of tweaking to this game WILL EVER make it a RTS clone in any regard. Dont look at a FOLLOW command like that. Sure you can drag a box around units, but I suggest you try that. Try to get a column of units down a road single file making turns all the way. Cant do it. Besides, just because something works in one genre (RTS games) doesn't mean it is wretched and evil for this one.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

Tiger, thanks for your opinion. I disagree. No amount of tweaking to this game WILL EVER make it a RTS clone in any regard. Dont look at a FOLLOW command like that. Sure you can drag a box around units, but I suggest you try that. Try to get a column of units down a road single file making turns all the way. Cant do it. Besides, just because something works in one genre (RTS games) doesn't mean it is wretched and evil for this one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have not tried this.....are you saying they will all start and stop at the same time without crashing into each other or driving off the road? If so, problem solved.

I'd put a Follow command on the top ten list of basic enhancements. Currently some of the scenarios, like Xmas in Hemroulle, are unplayable without it. Some of you take the purity principle too far; it won't turn CM into C&C.

I can see it now: Red sun rising, a hot dusty morning on the steppes and the long snaking line of T-34s waiting on the roads to Mogilev, motors rumbling- on my soon to be upgraded machine.

Add me to the list for 'Follow' or something similar - convoy micromanagement can be a real pain when you have tons of vehicles, and just want to move them all from one area to another in a line/formation. As it is, trying to coordinate a column formation with the 'MOVE' command is fairly inaccurate, because if you place the cursor to move one tank where another is currently sitting, the cursor 'floats' over the waypoint, making "precision" movement difficult/impossible. I agree with Teach - I don't think this would introduce any RTS elements into the game, because all it is is a movement simplification command...no it doesn't have to be perfect (that wonderful CM randomness coming into play), but tanks moved in columns all the time in WWII...didn't they? This is just to help us with some of the micro-management.

Gol

I frankly cannot see how someone who has played this game enough can shoot this idea down. Again, this does not only have to apply to vehicles. It could apply to soldiers as well. I could plot out lets say a half squad giving them a string of waypoints, and the rest of the platoon I could click FOLLOW and click the half squad. Movement Done. Of course, still the primary reasons remains...that is to help in directing a large string of vehicles.

Count me in. follow command seems like a no brainer to me. i think the past (ridiculous)criticism of this idea consisted of something along the lines of it would give my opponents an unfair advantage if they are otherwise too lazy to micromanage troop movements.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CommanderC:

Even better would be a formation command.... select multiple units, then select "column" or "line" or "wedge" etc and the selected units would move to the indicated location whilst maintaining the indicated formation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even something like a Maintain Interval command would help. You select it then click on the unit you want to formate on.

Michael

Howdy,

Teach it has been discussed although I don't think it's been discussed "to death". smile.gif

For you're reading pleasure I did a quick search and came up with: http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/006977.html

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/008652.html

I myself am not really sure whether or not a new command is needed. After all I believe that historically that it was (and probably still is) difficult to move a column of troops and tanks especially under fire. If this command is implemented will it make it too easy too move columns? To a certain extent shouldn't it be difficult. I'm not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be improved but to what extent? Does anyone have any historical data about moving tanks and troops?

Geez, I'm chock full of questions aren't I?

I probably shouldn't post when I've taken the day off. I tend to ramble even more than usual. smile.gif

Cardinal Fang

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

P.S. The smilies in this post snuck in and they are in no way an attempt to annoy Mr. Peng. A person(?) whose wrath I'd prefer to avoid. Come to think of it I can't think of anyones wrath I wouldn't want to avoid.

See. I told you I ramble.

I'll shut up now.

Thanks everyone for your input thus far.

Fang:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>After all I believe that historically that it was (and probably still is) difficult to move a column of troops and tanks especially under fire.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, its difficult but not impossible. Correct me if I am wrong but tanks did operate in formations from time to time. Moreover, were talking about a follow command that might be broken and overidden by a unit that tries to seek cover or take evasive action as they do now under the move or hunt commands.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If this command is implemented will it make it too easy too move columns? To a certain extent shouldn't it be difficult.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too easy does not equal bad. I agree. It shouldn't be as difficult as it is now. As I mentioned earlier, I tried to move a line of vehicles down a back road during a PBEM and not only had to spend a crazy amount of time trying to get them to do so in line, but one crash and bash caused me to lose several turns trying to play traffic cop.