Tank AI improvement idea

I have seen this situation in many of my turn based battles, also in game engine version 4.0.

In turn planning phase I give my tank a Face order, let's say turn 90 degrees Then during the 60 second movie this tank starts turning and while this is mostly still in progress a dangerous enemy unit appears, like infantry with AT weapons or enemy tank. Despite this my tank continues turning AND cannot use its gun before turning has finished.  Often this means the enemy unit kills my tank which just keeps turning its hull instead of defending itself.

the improvement:

IMO once this dangerous enemy unit is spotted the tank should stop turning and use its gun for defense. Once no dangerous enemy is at sight (like the enemy moves behind cover or gets destroyed) then continue turning the hull. Or I can redo the Face command during next turn. But DO NOT TURN THE HULL for ages while your enemy unit can kill you.

The new threat could be hundreds of meters away, but
1) it is lethal  
2) my unit has spotted it  
3) may soon spot my unit.

Maybe MGs can target something while tank hull is turning, but the main gun cannot.
So I see this "stop turning the hull" as similar self defense trick as existing popping smoke and reversing to safetty.

Edited by SlowMotion

5 hours ago, SlowMotion said:

Maybe MGs can target something while tank hull is turning, but the main gun cannot.

Something like this can be really annoying. Not long ago I had a situation where my tank spotted an enemy tank and started to rotate the turret to engage it. That was the proper thing to do. But then the driver began to rotate the tank so as to present the frontal armor to the enemy, but in the process making it impossible to bring the gun onto the target. This continued for several seconds until the enemy tank noticed this big tank in its field of view, fired, and dispatched my tank. Now note that I had not given any movement order to the tank including rotation. This was entirely at the behest of the AI, and while presenting its best armor to a possibly dangerous enemy was a sound move, it should only have taken place after the main gun had fired and was being reloaded.

Michael

I don't know if this works the same way in all tanks or can the problem be in just some tank types.
The battles where I've seen it while using game engine 4.0 had British against Germans. Tanks like Cromwells against Tigers etc.
These tanks rotate their hull very slowly so the bug often means losing the rotating tank.

I have seen this happen on numerous occasions lately when fighting against the AI and also in FB and RT. It seems more prevalent in V4.0 The problem seems to be when you end the tank's movement with a facing order and an enemy (tank or infantry) appears from another direction. It seems to confuse the tank AI, which doesn't know whether to obey the facing order or attack the threat so it rotates the hull and turret back and forth without firing at anything. It looks ridiculous and needs fixing.

There are two separate things that are similar. The first is the driver turning the hull while the gunner is trying to aim and therefore never getting a shot. This has been fixed. I think it was fixed in 3.0 but I forget exactly when. If you see something like that please save the game and report it.

The other issue is what @Hilts describes where the crew seem to flip between executing thier face order and targeting the enemy they just spotted. I actually don't know if this is even reported, mainly because I never experience it any more. I never give vehicles face commands now. I make sure their last move order is along the direction that I want them to face. Doing that eliminates the problem.

Having said that it is a bug and if anyone has a save lying around please share it. Lord knows when I'll get around to trying to reproduce it.

43 minutes ago, SlowMotion said:

I made a QB to demonstrate this. I have the turn file where this bug is clearly shown and saved game files from planning phases from both players before this "bug movie".

Cool. PM me a link to a zip file on drop box or send me your email and I'll create a folder for you to put the files.