German armor in Anzio

sttp

the Italian frogmen was interesting, don't think I've ever seen pictures of them, besides that 2 photos caught my eye

kHMF6Ps.jpg

this because it looks weird with the Tiger in the background, I suspect this lack of juxtaposition was done on purpose to fool people into thinking that Panzer II had a big gun (this was of course an era before Photoshop.) if not then the Photographer was awful because that's a poor way to lay out a composition.

2kDtbfx.jpg

and this caught my eye because in FI we don't have access to the Pak 36, but here are some fallschirmjager hanging out with one. now its probably a staged photo. but its interesting to note that Pak 36's were still floating around somewhere near the front

Edited by Cobetco

14 minutes ago, Cobetco said:

2kDtbfx.jpg

and this caught my eye because in FI we don't have access to the Pak 36, but here are some fallschirmjager hanging out with one. now its probably a staged photo. but its interesting to note that Pak 36's were still floating around somewhere near the front

Since they are paratroops they probably needed some kind of lightweight anti-armor protection that was air transportable and hand maneuverable. While of little to no use against the frontal armor of medium tanks, they could probably have penetrated the side armor. As well, they would still have been effective against such light armor as armored cars and halftracks. So, worth bringing along if you couldn't manage anything bigger.

Michael

Sturmpanzer Abteilung 216 had a platoon of 5x Pz II at this time, an addition unique to this battalion.  The photo is not staged, but from a series of the Sturmpanzer battalion moving past an immobilized Tiger of Schwere Panzer Abteilung 508.

37mm Pak 36 is in CMFI as an option for the Fallschirmjager regimental AT company.

1 hour ago, akd said:

37mm Pak 36 is in CMFI as an option for the Fallschirmjager regimental AT company.

GAH you are right! I mistakenly assumed the Luftwaffe Panzergrenadiers would be using them as well and didn't switch to the airborne infantry tab. interesting note they are available in FB too, but only as teams, not organic units. and are not listed in the manual.

On 2/18/2017 at 4:40 PM, akd said:

Sturmpanzer Abteilung 216 had a platoon of 5x Pz II at this time, an addition unique to this battalion.  The photo is not staged, but from a series of the Sturmpanzer battalion moving past an immobilized Tiger of Schwere Panzer Abteilung 508.

Yeah when i was putting this album together i was surprised to see the Sturmpanzer Units had Panzer IIs attached. What would have been the reasoning been behind that? Similar reason as to why the kind of early Tiger units had Panzer IIINs perhaps?

29 minutes ago, Saferight said:

Yeah when i was putting this album together i was surprised to see the Sturmpanzer Units had Panzer IIs attached. What would have been the reasoning been behind that? Similar reason as to why the kind of early Tiger units had Panzer IIINs perhaps?

Can't really speak to why the PzKw II got the job, but in the case of the IIIn it was to provide support to the heavies. The IIIn had the short L/24 gun useful for soft targets and such amenities as smoke, leaving the heavies to take care of what only they could do.

Michael

The 1943 Sturmpz Abt TOE actually has three Pz III:

http://www.sturmpanzer.com/Default.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=302&item=1&sec=2

Seems they were never issued though, with the origin and tasks of the five Pz II in the abovementioned battalion being uncertain. Probably they were meant as recon, close protection and general runarounds just like the Pz III in the Tiger battallions.

• 2 years later...

Say I know this thread is old as hell, but couple questions.  I was just reading about some battles around Anzio.  I think there is something wrong with the TOE or maybe it is date specific.  I tried to do some work in the Scenario Editor and can not locate any Waffen SS units.  Even though a KG was involved in the Anzio area.  Later it operated as a Division from May 1944 till its surrendered in Austria.  Interesting note was that its Training Replacement Battalion was involved during the Arnhem battles.

Anyways its been awhile since I loaded up Gustav line and cant get Northern Italy... so maybe I asked this question earlier, will this be available in the next installment.

Best regards,

James.

There will also be Luftwaffe Field Divisions. From what I've seen there were two of them deployed in Northern Italy, and shortly torn apart after being engaged on the front just like most of them.

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/11/21/the-19th-and-20th-luftwaffe-field-divisions/

Gebirgsjaeger are also coming, probably.

Edited by Frenchy56