Meanwhile, back to Improvement suggestions

A small artillery-UI suggestion....B)

Have the artillery function in a simular way as AI-groups do now.

The artillery should have its own seperate kind of AI-groups...Called artillery groups, maybe...asigned by using shift-numberkeys

The designer should be able to asign each (or multiple) artillery asset to an artillery group (1 - 16 (or 32))

The Artillerygroups would work in a simular way as AI-groups...That is have a number of orders (targets) that would be carried out in succesion.

Like with AI-groups these orders (targets) could be 'set-off' and stopped by game clock or by a triggered event (using terrain objectives).

If the artillery asset is not asigned to an artillery group then the AI will be free to use it at its own discretion.

Instead of setting things like DASH, ADVANCE and CASIOUS, ACTIVE for example there could be options more sutable for artillery...like rate of fire, duration, fire pattern or something like that...

A small example of a scenario...a reduced german battalion is ordered to assult a russian held village after first having to cross some open ground with the russians dug-in on a ridge infront of the village...

art group 1 - 122 mm howitzer battery

art group 2 - 122 mm howitzer battery

art group 3 - 122 mm howitzer battery

art group 4 - 122 mm howitzer battery

art group 5 - 122 mm howitzer battery

art group 6 - 122 mm howitzer battery

art group 7 - 81 mm mortar section

art group 8 - 81 mm mortar section

art group 9 - 81 mm mortar section

art groups 10 - 81 mm mortar section

min 1 - 3 artillery groups 1 to 4 fire HE on 4 seperate target areas.
min 2 - 4 artillery groups 5 and 6 fires smokerounds at specified areas to cover the intitial german advance across open ground.

min 10 - 12 artillery group 7 and 8 targets likely player locations ahead of the AI advance (or could have a triggered artillery target each that will spring if player forces are spotted there)
min 14 - 16 artillery group 9 and 10 targets further likely player possitions

min 30 - 33 artillery groups 1 to 4 fires HE at the village in preparation for an assult
min 31 - 33 artillery groups 9 and 10 fires smoke screens to cover german assulting troops as they advance into the village

min 40 - 42 artillery group 9 and 10 fires HE on the primary objective in the village in preparation for a final assult on  that objective.

18 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yes, that's what I personally would like to see.

We already have this: the Target command.

This would be the "Target Light" command.

I did some casual testing and found that I needed two light machineguns (M8 scout cars) and one heavy machinegun (M1917) to suppress a building enough that my assault team could approach with total impunity. But of course these results vary with a lot of different factors.

You know what I meant! There will always be a combination that isnt covered by any combination of orders if you go down the micro-control route. "Fire the SMG but hide the riflemen", or "throw half your grenades but keep the rest".

How long do you think you should fire at a building to suppress it? That sounds like a lot of firepower, and I would guess does it in a minute? You shouldn't treat minutes as 'turns' in (e.g.) ASL in my experience. 2 or 3 mins fire is usually necessary with the type of firepower more normally available (depending on what you are suppressing and what sort of cover they have).

2 minutes ago, Sailor Malan2 said:

How long do you think you should fire at a building to suppress it? That sounds like a lot of firepower, and I would guess does it in a minute? You shouldn't treat minutes as 'turns' in (e.g.) ASL in my experience. 2 or 3 mins fire is usually necessary with the type of firepower more normally available (depending on what you are suppressing and what sort of cover they have).

I don't know how long it should take. Just sharing my findings. My example was testing how much would be needed to suppress the building in 60 seconds.

Good point about sustained fire. I think suppression is basically about the balance between how much suppression pours in, minus how much continually drains out (due to leadership etc). So in some cases, you might have just a small surplus of suppression, and it takes several minutes to build up.

Just now, Bulletpoint said:

I don't know how long it should take. Just sharing my findings. My example was testing how much would be needed to suppress the building in 60 seconds.

Good point about sustained fire. I think suppression is basically about the balance between how much suppression pours in, minus how much continually drains out (due to leadership etc). So in some cases, you might have just a small surplus of suppression, and it takes several minutes to build up.

Agreed. My play improved immensely when I stopped thinking of minutes as 'Turns'... (i.e. one turn 'prep fire' then assault.. or more accurately die)

Would love to have "ears" locked in place to where the men are, rather than being able to fly them about as some sort of unfettered acoustic detection system. Find it ridiculous that LOS has to be from where the observer is, but hearing is at will and anywhere. At the very least, I feel this should be implemented in Iron, but would favor its being in effect well before that. This would, I believe, be especially useful in infantry combat, where recon would become even more valuable. This could also permit implementing noise discipline as a game feature. I feel such measures would allow worthwhile patrol scenarios and such. Contrary to the ill-designed challenge on "Mythbusters: The Search," sound can be more than adequate to deliver a killing blow, especially if using grenades, which are pretty much sourceless to the recipient, start bursting!

Regards,

John Kettler

6 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Would love to have "ears" locked in place to where the men are, rather than being able to fly them about as some sort of unfettered acoustic detection system. Find it ridiculous that LOS has to be from where the observer is, but hearing is at will and anywhere. At the very least, I feel this should be implemented in Iron, but would favor its being in effect well before that. This would, I believe, be especially useful in infantry combat, where recon would become even more valuable. This could also permit implementing noise discipline as a game feature. I feel such measures would allow worthwhile patrol scenarios and such. Contrary to the ill-designed challenge on "Mythbusters: The Search," sound can be more than adequate to deliver a killing blow, especially if using grenades, which are pretty much sourceless to the recipient, start bursting!

Regards,

John Kettler

Agree.  In fact I would like Iron to limit map scrolling to within a couple of hundred metres of your troops, creating a frontline / fog of war effect.

9 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Would love to have "ears" locked in place to where the men are, rather than being able to fly them about as some sort of unfettered acoustic detection system.

I've noticed in recent months that moving the camera with its mike around the battlefield to find sources of sound doesn't seem to work as it used to. I can still hear fences and hedges being crunched if I don't have eyes on the area, but no longer can hear engine sounds or pinpoint muzzle blasts. I don't know if that is an intentional feature or a peculiarity of my setup.

Michael