BMP-2M not using AGS-17?

Marwek77 aka Red Reporter,

When I first read your question, I thought perhaps the AGS-17 was carried internally and had to be acquired. After looking into the BMP-2M "Berezhok," I now understand the AGS-17 is a fully integrated weapon in the turret. Have you tried Target Light? In any event this video is a wonderful (though only in Russian w/o English subtitles) piece on the BMP-2M "Berezhok," its weaponry, target types it can engage, range bands and more. Two things which really stood out were that 1) it can fire Kornet on the move (US can't do that with TOW 2B or TOW 2B Aero) and 2) apparently ripple fires two very closely spaced ATGMs. I believe this is to provide an assured kill against even the toughest ERA equipped target.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Yes I tried target, target light, target briefly... close range and long range... 30 mm always goes first, then 7,62mm coax follow... but no AGS... even not when infantry was near... thats the reason i am asking others... AGS was shooting before 4.0

Video is presenting ability to shoot Kornets on the move... but its not in the game... i let my BMP-3M move slow for 1000m against Abrams and it never fired Kornets... when it stops it is different story...

Also i parked BTR 82A, BMP-2M and BMP-3M side by side an they fired at same Abrams parked 1000m in front of them.

BTR depleted all ammo except ABHE but once it even tried to fire with it... no kill

BMP-2M fired 30mm main gun first and then tried Kornets... mostly killed target, but sometimes even 4 Kornets were useless... 2-3 times 3rd rocket hit the ground after launching... Also the animation is strange, it fires sometimes right and left tube and then second salvo goes all from left side... If not sucessfull BMP-2M is fighting until it depletes all ammo except 30 mm HE.

What is interesting BMP-3M never uses AT-10 ATGM and it stops after a while to fire at the Abrams. It just sits there and wait. Thats it, i tried to kill you, i cannot so lets just wait whats happen...

BMP-2M is harder fighter :)

Edited by Marwek77 aka Red Reporter

7 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Two things which really stood out were that 1) it can fire Kornet on the move (US can't do that with TOW 2B or TOW 2B Aero) and 2)

I'd be very leary of accepting that it can fire a Kornet on the move. Yes, the video shows it doing it, but videos, especially a manufacturer's promotional video is always suspect. Is the Kornet wire-guided or laser beam riding? If it's wire, wouldn't you be running the risk of driving over the wire and breaking or disrupting it? Did you also notice it taking down an attack helicopter with an ATGM? I take the video with a grain of salt.

24 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

I'd be very leary of accepting that it can fire a Kornet on the move. Yes, the video shows it doing it, but videos, especially a manufacturer's promotional video is always suspect. Is the Kornet wire-guided or laser beam riding? If it's wire, wouldn't you be running the risk of driving over the wire and breaking or disrupting it? Did you also notice it taking down an attack helicopter with an ATGM? I take the video with a grain of salt.

I'm pretty sure the Kornet is SALH, so no wires to worry about - and the same should be also true about all GLATGMs in the Russian arsenal.  Doctrinally, one of the reasons for having them besides being able to reach out and touch NATO tanks was also to interdict low-and-slow-flying helicopters, so I wouldn't put it out of the realms of possibility.

I saw BMP-2M shooting AGS to long distance target, like 1000m+, which was my Corsar ATGM team. This is 4.0 version we are talking about. At first I didn't recognize what was hitting me. But I replayed and figured out that the BMP-2M was shooting AGS like a mortar lol. IMO it seems that the system prioritize 30mm over AGS if it is facing infantry within close distance. 

Edited by exsonic01

@Marwek77 aka Red Reporter I've noticed on the BMP-2M and the BTR-4 the vehicle will usually use the grenade launcher once it has depleted its cannon ammunition but needs to engage infantry. Also, from playing against the BMP-2M, the vehicle will sometimes used the grenade launcher when engaging my infantry behind a slight berm or wheat field in which cannon will be less effective.

Side note: What the hell is even the point of the AGS-17 when you have a perfectly good 30mm autocannon to the left?

6 hours ago, exsonic01 said:

I saw BMP-2M shooting AGS to long distance target, like 1000m+, which was my Corsar ATGM team. This is 4.0 version we are talking about. At first I didn't recognize what was hitting me. But I replayed and figured out that the BMP-2M was shooting AGS like a mortar lol. IMO it seems that the system prioritize 30mm over AGS if it is facing infantry within close distance. 

do you have a save?

Vet 0369,

The Russians showed that, with enough very expensive R&D and tons of pricey specialized gear in each tank destroyer,  way back in 1967 they could fire ATGMs on the move. The ATGM was radio-commanded SACLOS. See IT-1 Drakon video below. It shows the IT-1 has sufficient sight stabilization to be able to operate on the steppe at typical tank attack speed. The BMP-2M has to have far better tracker optics stabilization than that, so I don't see why it couldn't. What I'd like to know, from our TOW people, is why TOW can't be fired on the move at all. Is it something intrinsic in having guidance wires?

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

BMP-2M has following ammo:

30mm HE x 250 for AGS-17 - finaly i have seen it in action, vehicle use it when main ammo depleted, but very bad accuracy

30mm HE-I x 340 for main gun - vehicle use it against infantry behind cover, but not so good results

30mm APFSDS x 160 for main gun - vehicle use it against enemy IFV, when all Kornets depleted it use it against tank too

AT-14 Kornet ATGM x 4 in 2 doble tube launchers - main weapon against tanks, quite good

7,62x54R x 500 for coax

BTT-82A has better ammo:

30mm APHE x 150 for main gun - very good against infantry even in cover, airburst... i wish same ammo could be in BMP-2M!

30mm APFSDS x 150 for main gun - vehicle use it against enemy IFV

7,62x54R x 500 for coax

So i expected more from AGS-17 in BMP-2M, because it has quite problems with infantry behind walls for example... stationery AGS fire more and more accurate... why?