maps and accuracy

On 2016-11-04 at 3:13 AM, simovitch said:

I have hi res scans of most of the Ardennes; 1943 GSGS 1:50000 and several of the 1:25000 1938 German ones of the Eifel area. Also some very cool 1:25000 scans locating the westwall bunkers and dragon's teeth. These look to be like the actual asbuilt plates, not the overlays on the modern topo that you find on the internet. I'll post some screens when I get a chance.

That is a resource I've been looking for. I'm making a scenario for the opening days of the Ardennes attack, as the Germans try to cross the Our at Ouren. The westwall reached Sevenig some 3 km east of Ouren. These fortifications were occupied by US troops prior to the German attack. If you can post or send pics of what the fortifications around Sevenig, Harspelt and Lützkampen looked like I would be very grateful :)

On 11/3/2016 at 3:35 PM, benpark said:

STTP- it is really variable as far as map availability. This site was helpful for comparisons of the BoB areas, personally:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=50.0645&lon=5.6680&layers=gsgs4042&b=1

I subscribe to this website, which has generally very useful aerial imagery from 1944-1945 sorties (primarily):

http://ncap.org.uk/

Otherwise, it is sleuthing. I always do searches in the native language of the areas I'm looking into. Dumb luck sometime wins out as far as finding things, too.

Oh wow, excellent sites. Thank you. And sleuthing can sometimes be fun.

• 1 year later...

McMaster University has the best/most usable collection.

These publications from the war explain how the maps were made, how accurate they were, how they should be used (i.e. 1:100,000 scale maps were recommended for use by armored units), if they were available, plans to produce more/future availability, etc. For example, topo lines in Germany were interpreted from hatch marks on German maps from the 1930s so were good for approximation and strategic planning, but were not precise.

G.S.G.S Maps of France, Belgium and Holland

G.S.G.S. Maps of Italy, Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica