Axis Ammo Dump Found

user1000,

You got me! I thought you were talking about a buried WW II German ammo cache. The British, after all, had quite the excitement some years back when they uncovered a stock of very twitchy SIP (Self-Igniting Phosphorus) grenades, which are glass bottles and were both thrown and (gulp) fired from the Home Guard expedient weapons the Northover Projector and Bates Bottle Thrower. I wasn't expecting what looks like an RT sequence. Doubt the DIVARTY CO is happy with using his precious M7 as an assault gun. The infantry movement early on was bizarre, looking as though each man was zigzagging, but the next guy nullified that by doing the opposite pattern. The Priest certainly did the job on the Germans, but I think the real world version would've been in major trouble firing out of that foliage. I imagine Fuze Super-Quick would've been quite able to detonate hitting anything much bigger than a leaf, and maybe just from that. Thanks for the video!

Regards,

John Kettler

This inclined me to ask a question - 1) hitting a truck with loads of ammo stored - would that make a bigger bang than an empty one ? Secondly - and more imp. In CM, is there form of collateral damage taking place - as in - destroying a tank or truck next to other units... would the 'other' units suffer any damage from the possible debris/explosion taking place beside them ? 

Happy wargaming guys.

21 minutes ago, borg said:

This inclined me to ask a question - 1) hitting a truck with loads of ammo stored - would that make a bigger bang than an empty one ?

I am not sure if there is much difference between a truck full of ammo and one that is empty.  Good question.

21 minutes ago, borg said:

Secondly - and more imp. In CM, is there form of collateral damage taking place - as in - destroying a tank or truck next to other units... would the 'other' units suffer any damage from the possible debris/explosion taking place beside them ?

That is defiantly modelled.  Tanks, ACs, trucks anything that explodes when hit or cooks off an hurt soldiers or damage other vehicles close by.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

That is defiantly modelled.  Tanks, ACs, trucks anything that explodes when hit or cooks off an hurt soldiers or damage other vehicles close by.

Just lost an entire team to the cook off explosion of a TD they'd taken out 3 turns ago, and happened to be just now passing. Maddening, but realistic -- one of those unpredictable things you should always account for, but often find yourself disregarding. Really adds to the game's richness and depth, IMO.

Edited by sttp

30 minutes ago, sttp said:

Maddening, but realistic -- one of those unpredictable things you should always account for, but often find yourself disregarding. Really adds to the game's richness and depth, IMO.

For sure.  In the modern game I remember in early playing an enemy RPG triggered an APS intercept that killed two or three members of the squad near my tank.  That was a real oh crap moment.  I had to adjust how I positioned my forces. 

1 hour ago, sttp said:

Just lost an entire team to the cook off explosion of a TD they'd taken out 3 turns ago, and happened to be just now passing. Maddening, but realistic -- one of those unpredictable things you should always account for, but often find yourself disregarding. Really adds to the game's richness and depth, IMO.

Explosion of a TD ? Excuse my ignorance.. and btw sounds IMPRESSIVE. 

2 minutes ago, borg said:

Explosion of a TD ? Excuse my ignorance.. and btw sounds IMPRESSIVE. 

Might've been a jumbo, can't recall precisely. 'Chaos at Ferme de Eidenhove' mission in CMFB. Which is, truly, chaos. [Slight spoiler ahead?] All kinds of tanks and TD's and other armor everywhere. Minefields. Mortars and rockets. A nasty enemy dug into the forest. Immobilizations no matter how hard you try to avoid the mud. Insane spotting issues, due to the nature of some slopes. Very cool scenario as you go deep into it.

On 28-9-2016 at 8:25 PM, sttp said:

Might've been a jumbo, can't recall precisely. 'Chaos at Ferme de Eidenhove' mission in CMFB. Which is, truly, chaos. [Slight spoiler ahead?] All kinds of tanks and TD's and other armor everywhere. Minefields. Mortars and rockets. A nasty enemy dug into the forest. Immobilizations no matter how hard you try to avoid the mud. Insane spotting issues, due to the nature of some slopes. Very cool scenario as you go deep into it.

Nuts!

Driving me crazy.

3 hours ago, Mies said:

Nuts!

Driving me crazy.

Yeah. Crazy is the right word. Not to diverge from thread's topic too much, but.... just finished this one (the 'Chaos at Ferme Diedenhove' scenario from CMFB), and wow... what a wild ride that was. So many ups and downs. Finally got my total victory, w/ just 9 minutes left, but it came at a higher price than I'm used to paying. Cool scenario. Very nicely captures the essence of the first few days of the Battle of the Bulge. Kudos to the designer, whoever it was. (Author is not listed.)

I tell ya, nothing against the other CMx2 titles -- and I mean that, as CMFI is probably still my favorite overall... IDK, just has something special about it -- but the quality of the maps/missions in these BF titles just keeps getting better and better. The CMx2 players who are holding out on buying CMFB, for whatever reason... I really think you guys are missing out.

And now, back to the thread's true topic: ammo dumps. That's a cool little video you posted, user1000. Hope you'll make more. Thumbs up.

Edited by sttp

On 9/28/2016 at 6:02 AM, John Kettler said:

real world version would've been in major trouble firing out of that foliage.

If you can sight the target you can shoot it. They used their axes on the back to cut the hole in the hedge for that short 105, you never saw it on the game play but they did :D

1 hour ago, user1000 said:

If you can sight the target you can shoot it. They used their axes on the back to cut the hole in the hedge for that short 105, you never saw it on the game play but they did :D

Ahh, it's no wonder it took 5 minutes once the M7 got to the Hedge to shoot out...Good Editing Indeed. 

* Side-Note; I wish CMBN had a better provision for sighting delays Firing from a Tall Hedge that a Unit just moved up to...In RL, I would think a Unit would have to first Probe through the Thick Underbrush just to see what's on the otherside.  

Joe

Edited by JoMc67