Anyone use an SSD card w CM games?

Zenomorph

Hello all,

Well, maybe I'm the last to know this but I've seen where some folks use an ssd card to speed up their video games.  I haven't see the difference for myself but it seems ssd cards can make even the most high-end, resource-intensive games operate much, much faster vs computers that don't use them. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this with CM games, if so how you set it up and if the cost/benefit is worth the investment. Thx!!

Yeah i use a SSD with all my games. I play CM games in 4K my monitor resolution even if i change to the game settins res its something less then 1080p looks crap i still get the same frame rates so i play in 4K and it looks great i must say I done alot of testing to see if i could get high FPS.

I play with AA off as not needed on a 32inch 4K IPS monitor. A Titan X and i7 4770k with 2 500gb SSDs and 16GB Ram. I would say SSDs are worth it loads windows fast and other games. I think it would help with this game. As my Titan X gets about 30% use on CM games when i monitor it so a powerful GPU will not help.

I would like to know if the CPU helps better then a GPU for this game.

If i zoom in on troops or a small group of tanks and troops i get 60fps, but if i look right across a big map can get big drops to 20-30fps and moves up and down as i move the camera. Still very playable as its not a FPS so no need for 60fps

But i would go for a SSD and use it for windows and your favorite games you wont be disappointed   

Check around the forums since I am not an expert. But I recall that CM responds more to CPU speed than increases in GPU speed. In fact, I am happy with CM on my laptop having no graphics card. That will change, the laptop that is, towards the Holidays. :D. Nothing like taking CM with you on vacation. 

Kevin

The general impression I get from various reports is that the SSD really only affects load and save speed for CM. Ideally, the game should hardly be accessing the disk at all when you're playing a replay turn, or issuing orders, or generating a turn, or playing Real-Time generally.

My HDD crashed on my back in February and I replaced it with a SSD and I definitely would not go back to a HDD. The boot up time for Windows 7 went from about 3 minutes download to about 20 seconds on my old i7-920. Games load much faster now including CMx2 like others have mentioned. Performance wise though, there is no difference.

But despite being upset having to reload everything from scratch and the cost of the SSD, I'm very happy having with the SSD.

Edited by WallysWorld