When is a tank considered knocked out?

9 hours ago, Kronolog said:

Is there any difference between a tank with a light red cross labelled "knocked out", and a tank with a dark read skull-and-bones labelled "destroyed"? Does it impact scoring in some way?  

I'm not 100% sure, but I do know there's a possible victory condition about "Enemy Condition", which I believe takes into account not only how many casualties the enemy has, but also their condition such as red/yellow wounded. I would assume that it also counts destroyed tanks as being in worse condition than knocked out ones, but this is a guess on my part.

• 3 weeks later...

In the game a tank is considered knock out when a Red cross appears. However when a tank has its main gun damaged, its engine killed, a track thrown and or had had some non entirely penetrating AP shot hits, it is still considered non destroyed, even if its employment is rather greatly reduced.

In real engagement usually in the heat of the battle a tank is primarily considered as knocked out when it blows up and or is set on fire and secondarily, when it is firstly, unable to fire back and secondarily when it is also unable to move (its crew having maybe bailed out).

Therefore, an abandoned tank or an immobilized one could  have been considered wrongly as being knocked out.

That explains the high difference found in the AAR of some tank battles. Each side having knocked out more tank than is admitted by the other side since their recoveries and repair could have been be done.

In some battles more than 50 % of the tanks accounted as having been knocked out were recovered and repaired by first, second or third mechanical echelons. It was done when the battlefield allowed their recovery.

In Combat Mission Campaign that is more or less found depending on the percentage of repair allowed by the player.

The Germans during WWII had a very efficient recovery system. unless the tank had been blown up and or had been in fire it was quickly recovered  unless the ground was lost to the enemy.