Blind Quick Battles

On 30/08/2016 at 10:00 AM, IanL said:

Seems like a good idea.  One suggestion - use different names from the in game difficultly level names to prevent confusion.  How about Tiny Meet QS 001 Arduous, Tiny Meet QS 001 Tough, and Tiny Meet QS 001

Also there is a tool that helps you to envision what your scenario's victory points would feel like. I find it useful to establish the amount of points to assign to each category.

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=4236

I checked out the tool and it confirmed what I was thinking. I have also play tested a couple of the scenarios with the updated scoring system and it works great. It is possible to achieve a total victory on the hardest level but it takes a lot of work, one mistake is OK but two mistakes and a minor or tactical victory is all you will achieve. 

I have 14 tiny probe QS battles laid out and am finishing up with the AI groups. I hope to have these battles available by the weekend. I am finding the AI does not place fortifications in very wise locations. I need to place these myself and give them an AI grouping with no orders to get them to stay put. 

Heirloom_Tomato,

I played out your quick battle #13.  Very nicely done.

The first time through I managed a minor tactical victory.  The AI hung back and I had to hunt a bit for them, losing units in the process.  While I took the victory location, it was not enough for a big victory.

I then played it a second time, changing my approach just a little, as I wanted to see if the AI would react differently the next time through against essentially my same approach from the first game.  Damn, the AI came on like gangbusters, and I managed to prevail by having gotten units into good overwatch positions sooner than the enemy, which was guesswork on my part because I had no idea where the AI would be the second time around.  I lost more units than the first time, but won a total victory as I was able to pretty much wipe out the enemy forces. 

I'll add that the AI didn't appear to stupidly rush the objective - they moved in somewhat carefully and the units seemed to react the way one would expect them to.  I was quite pleased with your efforts.  Very nicely done.  And that was just one of the 14 you have posted.  :)

Heinrich505

Thanks for responding @Heinrich505 I am glad you enjoyed the battle and hope you find the other ones to be as entertaining. I would like to clarify that the AI plans are the original ones which came with the map from Battlefront. I just add the units and the set the parameters. 

A quick question about the battle, did you find the forces used on the map to be realistic? As I continue to make more of these battles, I would like to know the force selections I am using represent the types of battles people hope to play.

@Vergeltungswaffe  Here is a link one medium meeting battle for Red Thunder. I have included three versions of the exact same battle. They are regular, professional and expert. The units are the same, the AI plan is the same, the only difference is the degree of difficulty in achieving a Total Victory gets more difficult between the battles.

Let me know what you think of the battle!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/58kkh10eqlslc2c/AACR-P8GWaohEdKcDK71Vaota?dl=0

Heirloom_Tomato,

I thought the troop mix was good.  It appeared to well represent a scouting mission and the AI units would be consistent with that as well..  I played it as Axis and found the use of the equipment was a good challenge.  I find that the fun is in getting an unexpected mix of equipment, and using other troops and vehicles forces one to keep in mind the various strengths and weaknesses of the forces while attempting to successfully work the mission.

When having the computer choose your troops for you, often you get some weird eclectic mix of equipment.  I remember one battle where I had 8 Wirlbilwinds as part of my troop mix.  Sort of fun to play, but not something you'd normally expect for a probe mission. :huh:

Heinrich505

Thanks @Heinrich505. After looking in the editor at all the various TOE provided, there is a very wide selection of equipment I have never seen in a scenario particularly from the Italians. Some of the formations they have are very unique and would provide a challenge to fight as and against as well. I have been trying to choose some of these to give players a different feel to each QS battle they play.

On 9/3/2016 at 11:19 AM, Heirloom_Tomato said:

@Vergeltungswaffe  Here is a link one medium meeting battle for Red Thunder. I have included three versions of the exact same battle. They are regular, professional and expert. The units are the same, the AI plan is the same, the only difference is the degree of difficulty in achieving a Total Victory gets more difficult between the battles.

Let me know what you think of the battle!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/58kkh10eqlslc2c/AACR-P8GWaohEdKcDK71Vaota?dl=0

Played this against one of my regular opponents and we really enjoyed it.  Not having any idea what we were facing was great.  Both of us are really slow, recon types anyway, but we both advanced really cautiously, figuring the other guy had armor when we had none. 

I won a minor, but it was a draw for all intents and purposes.  Afterwards, we compared and it was a good balance.  The russian side having more MG's and mortars evened it out nicely.  You had a few high motivation units, which we normally don't do because it's our opinion they tend to act more realistically at normal and below (especially armor), but it was only a handful, so it didn't cause any problems.

Overall, a great experience.  Hope you stay motivated to make more of these.  Looking forward to playing some of the FI pack battles.  We're into RT these days, but that shifts every so often.

We played the expert one, fyi.

Edited by Vergeltungswaffe
To add which one we played

@Vergeltungswaffe Positive feedback goes a long way to keeping the motivation levels high!

I picked all the forces, for all the battles, with everything set at "typical". I wanted to have a consistent factor while choosing units and this one seemed to be the best solution.

And FYI, I am working on some more for Red Thunder.....

• 6 years later...