How to get infantry into shellholes?

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get infantry to take cover in shellholes, not even the big ones. When they panic and flee, they often end up in a crater, but when deploying and moving, they seem to really want to sit on the edge. And of course I want them to take cover.

Any ideas how to convince them a shellhole is a nice comfy place to be?

EDIT: Ok, in rare cases I did manage to get them into the craters, but I haven't been able to figure out a reliable way to do it. Often the holes will cover 3-4 squares, and I think it depends on both the direction of travel, the exact square travelled to, and the facing command given at the last waypoint. I wish they would be a bit more attracted to this kind of cover by themselves.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Seems like a common issue and recurring question.  I think someone posted that a squad split into teams will fit into a shellhope or foxhole, but not if united as a squad.  So, split into teams so they fit.  Makes no sense.

My assumption used to be that the guys who are not in a shellhole or foxhole are actually calculated as being protected and it was only a graphics limitation to show them outside.  However, people tell me that those guys are actually (dangerously) exposed.  So, be careful.

1 minute ago, Erwin said:

Seems like a common issue and recurring question.  I think someone posted that a squad split into teams will fit into a shellhope or foxhole, but not if united as a squad.  So, split into teams so they fit.

This is good advice for foxholes, but it's doesn't work the same way for the artillery craters. My team is already split.

It seems they disregard the shellhole completely, and it's only if they randomly position themselves up where the hole is that they enter it.

Hm... thus far (at least until V 3.11) any sort of shellhole was a huge attractor for the TacAI seeking cover for the pixeltroopers, even overriding foxholes in the same AS. So something has changed in V 3.12? Beside that, the TacAI always positioned the soldiers near the edges and not using full cover, probably for the same reason that no full use of ditches ( the -2m ones) would be made (gaining LOS/LOF takes precedence before gaining full cover). Off course there´s a number of more variables involved, like presence and lethality of enemy units in sight, facing command used and that.

31 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Hm... thus far (at least until V 3.11) any sort of shellhole was a huge attractor for the TacAI seeking cover for the pixeltroopers, even overriding foxholes in the same AS. So something has changed in V 3.12?

I think I remember the same thing, but was wondering if it was just my imagination..

I just plopped down a bunch of crater of various sizes in the CMBN 3.12 editor and set a US machine gun crew in the same action square. In every instance they stuck to the crater like glue. I literally can't get them to not take cover in it regardless of facing, which mirrors my experience in every other CM game.

2 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

I just plopped down a bunch of crater of various sizes in the CMBN 3.12 editor and set a US machine gun crew in the same action square. In every instance they stuck to the crater like glue. I literally can't get them to not take cover in it regardless of facing, which mirrors my experience in every other CM game.

I tried it out in the editor and in the scenario, and I guess it's a matter of definition if they are "in" or "out". Troops do stick somewhat to craters, especially when placed in the editor. But when moving into position they often sit so close to the edge that they are practically out of the shellhole, and one or two guys will often decide to stay on flat ground entirely.

My personal preference would be that they placed themselves as deep as they could, stayed prone if close to the edge, or crouching if deep enough in a big crater.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I'm not offering this as a solution, but just as a matter of interest, do you give them a "Hide" command when you move them into an AS containing a shellhole? 

I did that a couple of times, and didn't notice any difference, apart from them staying prone whereever they end up.

I also see no difference in behavior in 3.12 with regard to shellholes. What you might see sometimes is that craters are placed in a somewhat randomized pattern on the ground mesh, not always matching the 8x8m nodes within the AS. These nodes is where the single pixeltroopers move to accurately. You can see those relations more clearly using my ground mesh grass mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxbbgrc122rqzhc/ground grass.rar?dl=0