Bug in Dropzone Charlie?

Gents, I am playing Dropzone Charlie from the battle pack. Defending with the Germans, I received a reinforcement prompt, that approx 150 Paras just landed. Well, since the Germans don't have any, they must be US. ?

Is that as it should be? I have never seen reinforcement notifications for the other side before.

I don't know this scenario but a technique that has been used to send messages to the player is to have a small reinforcement arrive with that message.  I suspect that you just received a small team or truck at the same time and their arrival message was what you just saw - likely to simulate what @ASL Veteran mentioned.

No bug, another scenario has used something similar to simulate an air-raid warning. CW NEDFORCE will tell the German attacker with a false reinforcement message when 'allied planes have been spotted.' Sounds like a similar situation; its a neat trick. The little radio squelch you get with those messages helps enhance the feeling of getting something over comms. 

On 21. April 2016 at 8:22 AM, JonS said:

Yeah, as others have noted that is a deliberate and definite design decision. As @ASL Veteran notes, it’s pretty tricky to hide a flock of Dakotas trundling over and dumping large numbers of parachutes out the door :D 

Hm, is it? I thought they would fly in low and jump from 30m. ?

I must say the "intro sequence", well first few minutes, of this scenario, with the air attack warning sirens, the humm of the Dakotas, the P47 attacks and finally this reinforcement report are pretty immersive.

We'll see how the fighting works out.

6 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

Hm, is it? I thought they would fly in low and jump from 30m. ?

That would be kind of suicidal. If your first parachute did not open, which was often the case, there would be no time/space for your reserve chute to open. I think safe jumping altitude was somewhere around 200-500 feet, or about triple the altitude you mention.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

That would be kind of suicidal. If your first parachute did not open, which was often the case, there would be no time/space for your reserve chute to open. I think safe jumping altitude was somewhere around 200-500 feet, or about triple the altitude you mention.

Michael

I know, I know. That was supposed to be a joke.

I recall 100m as minimum altitude for special forces, which fits nicely to your 200 to 500 feet range and is certainly nothing for "ordinary" WW2 paras.

30m? Even jabos don't fly that low.

IIRC, the drop alt for regular paras was about 400m. Photos of the MARKET GARDEN drops - which aren't hard to find - seem to be even higher, although judging altitude from photos is notoriously difficult.

At the time I was crafting that scenario I gathered considerable detail on drop altitudes, the drop speed of the a/c, and the time it took for everyone to shuffle out the door. I used those three variables (well, the second two especially) to determine how long each stick was likely to be once they landed, and that was in turn used to figure out how strung out the reinforcements should be once they arrived.

Edited by JonS

16 hours ago, JonS said:

30m? Even jabos don't fly that low.

IIRC, the drop alt for regular paras was about 400m. Photos of the MARKET GARDEN drops - which aren't hard to find - seem to be even higher, although judging altitude from photos is notoriously difficult.

At the time I was crafting that scenario I gathered considerable detail on drop altitudes, the drop speed of the a/c, and the time it took for everyone to shuffle out the door. I used those three variables (well, the second two especially) to determine how long each stick was likely to be once they landed, and that was in turn used to figure out how strung out the reinforcements should be once they arrived.

See above, my friend. 

On April 24, 2016 at 1:37 PM, StieliAlpha said:

That was supposed to be a joke.

How was anyone reading it supposed to know that, hmmm? This is a good place to use some kind of emoticon or at least give some kind of indication that you are not meant to be taken seriously. Even better would have been to forego that "joke" altogether.

Michael

19 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

How was anyone reading it supposed to know that, hmmm? This is a good place to use some kind of emoticon or at least give some kind of indication that you are not meant to be taken seriously. Even better would have been to forego that "joke" altogether.

Michael

Eh, I used an emoticon.

But you are right. It is difficult to show emotions in texting.

Business wise, I try to avoid that completely. And then people say, that my correspondence is too cold, factual, engineer like. 

Well, I guess one can't do it right for everybody.

36 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Well, I guess one can't do it right for everybody.

You got that right. One size does not fit all. You have to make a shrewd estimation of your audience and what they can and can not follow. And even then you will get it wrong now and then because people will simply surprise you. You have to expect that and be ready at all times to apologize or at least explain with good humor what it was you meant to say. And don't forget the first line of my sig.

:D

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

You got that right. One size does not fit all. You have to make a shrewd estimation of your audience and what they can and can not follow. And even then you will get it wrong now and then because people will simply surprise you. You have to expect that and be ready at all times to apologize or at least explain with good humor what it was you meant to say. And don't forget the first line of my sig.

:D

Michael

I think, I explained myself sufficiently and I do not see a reason to apologise for anything, but I am tempted to say: "Yes, yes."

Let's look forward to constructive discussions in other threads. ?????

Edited by StieliAlpha

6 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

On my screen, your emoticons just show up as little boxes. But I still understood it was a joke :) Humor Teutonicus I guess.

Thank you, Sir.

Hm, boxes seem appropriate for an engineer, but I guess I'll better use old fashioned letters this time: :-)