We Band of Brothers campaign

Greetings fellow Combat Mission fanatics,

I’m thinking of creating a monster campaign called “We Band of Brothers”. It will be a campaign spanning all 3 base games (CMBN, CMMG and CMFB). This campaign will follow the footsteps of Easy company 506th PIR during their campaign in Europe starting from June 5th 1944 up until February 1945. In order to create this I’m looking for a team:

• 3 map creators (level awesomeness). I mean those maps from CMFB are freeking awesome. Be of that type of level (or a bit less) :D

• 4 scenario scripter’s who know how to script a scenario and campaign (because I can’t)

• 1 historian who can search for OOB’s for both sides and create the storyline.  

• I’ll create maps, help with the OOB’s and storyline.

• All maps will be checked by the rest of the team to put the dots on the i :)

All battle’s will be (semi) historical and some will be “what if”/“possible” scenario’s.

It will be a time consuming project but well worth it for the community.

Communication will go by Skype and email.

If you think you can fill one of the above role’s please contact me.

• Tell what role you think you can handle

• (optional) show some sort of resume of your (previous) work with scenario building

5 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I presume you are aware that your proposed campaign cannot be handled with a single campaign script because CMFB is separate from CMBN.

Yes I am. It will be 3 seperate campaign scripts. There some things I can not avoid. For example: if Lt Winters is killed in Normandy he is magicly brought back to life in CMMG. So you have 3 campaigns to play wich tell the story of Easy Company. 

An ambitious project, to say the very least. The good news is there's at least one scenario I can think of that's done already: Brecourt Manor. Being a fan of the the HBO series and the book, of course, I wouldn't mind contributing in some way. I've just started tackling making a campaign myself and I'm stumbling through scenario design by trial and error. Believe it or not the editor is pretty intuitive. I'm still struggling on finding a good way to edit elevations (versus editing every elevation point) but it's been fun taking on the challenge. Figuring out AI plans has been an exercise in frustration (when you screw it up) and triumph (figuring out what you screwed up and then fixing it). 

1 hour ago, bram1979 said:

Yes I am. It will be 3 seperate campaign scripts. There some things I can not avoid. For example: if Lt Winters is killed in Normandy he is magicly brought back to life in CMMG. So you have 3 campaigns to play wich tell the story of Easy Company. 

Good to hear so what is your plan for handling the reinforcement/replacement/TO@E issues across three different scripts then?

1 hour ago, bram1979 said:

No plan at this moment. That is an issue that will be on the agenda to discuss with the team. 

I'd have a plan because having LT Winters resurrect himself at any point if he gets killed pretty much defeats the object of having a campaign. Campaign players need immersion and a narrative and right now you have a plan based on a readily identifiable hook - namely 'Band of Brothers'. You need to do a lot more thinking about this.

5 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I'd have a plan because having LT Winters resurrect himself at any point if he gets killed pretty much defeats the object of having a campaign. Campaign players need immersion and a narrative and right now you have a plan based on a readily identifiable hook - namely 'Band of Brothers'. You need to do a lot more thinking about this.

Dude... I'm working on things. If you want to you can help but stop this. Thank you!

I'm no noob regarding CM. I've created many tournament, campaigns and scenarios over the past years. 

?? Stop what, pointing out issues that need to be though about ??

BTW your campaign is only across two games: CMBN and CMFB. The MG module is an add on for CMBN and therefor the location and units from that module can easily be used in one campaign.

My suggestion would be to make the campaign in CMBN and if you need to set some battles in areas not covered by that game then use tagged mods to make it look closer. Then you will have one campaign and continuity for the whole thing. The only thing you will be missing is some newer equipment but you can just substitute slightly older gear. It is not like they stopped using much of what was available in September 1944 by May 1945.

9 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I would agree with this. Part of the draw is immersing yourself in the role. Thinking of Silencing The Guns-Brecourt Manor scenario it was Lt. Winters who led that assault. With my CMBN luck I can see him as a casualty very quickly. Lol! Losing him is akin to a Campaign defeat. 

Now if it was Lt. Dike or Cpt. Sobel. I'd want to grant the player a magnimous victory! :D

On 4/17/2016 at 8:45 AM, bram1979 said:

Yes I am. It will be 3 seperate campaign scripts. There some things I can not avoid. For example: if Lt Winters is killed in Normandy he is magicly brought back to life in CMMG.

That's not so difficult.. You could just say he only gets seriously wounded no matter what happens, even if the game shows him as killed in action.

37 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

But ... campaigns work on immersion.

Yes, and it's unfortunate, but I think it would be a small suspension of disbelief. In war, sometimes people get hit and are assumed surely dead, but survive.

The other option would be to make it so you have to win every mission to stay in the campaign, and give a massive points penalty for losing the HQ unit so you would always lose the mission in that case.

Edited by Bulletpoint

18 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yes, and it's unfortunate, but I think it would be a small suspension of disbelief. In war, sometimes people get hit and are assumed surely dead, but survive.

Sorry but I disagree ... campaigns are about narratives/immersion. Those campaigns that are based on vaguely well-documented events (such as the premise of this one) need to be less reliant on suspensions of disbelief - particularly those that involve the protagonists. 

Anyway ... time to be positive - bram 1979, if you can convince me that this will work I'll do you a map for the CMFB timeframe..

What is going on at this point:

Over at my own community (the FewGoodMen) I've found some guys how wanted to help. I've openend a Google Document where we add stuff and communicate. I've added some ideas of maps/scenario's and we are all searching for information regarding Easy company. The general idea is to create 2 campaigns following Easy company. 1 campaign starting on June the 5ht 1944 (CMBN) and on to late October 1944 (CMMG). The other campaign will start on December 16th 1944 on to  late Februari 1945 (CMFB). Although two seperate campaigns it tells one story. And I want to use CMFB because of the weather options. And yes characters you've lost during the first campaign can be back on the second one because historicly they did not die during the first campaign or survived the war. These are things that I can not avoid. Most scenarios are documented and can be found on the internet and in books. Some will be fictional but can count as if they could have happened. They will be in the area where the historical scenarios took place.

I've any one create's a scenario I want him to find as many info regarding that scenario as possible. So it will take time to create one but we have the time ;) 

@Combatintman If you like to help you are welcome to join. For CMFB I would like a Foy map. There are a few scenarios around Foy. Easy was in the forrest around Foy and beat off several attacks before they launched their attack on Foy itself. I don't know if you are a member of the FGM or if you wish to join but I'm more active on that forum then here :) 

Edited by bram1979

58 minutes ago, bram1979 said:

No I haven't yet. Will look into it soon or do you have a link where I can find this scenario?

Hmmm. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Apparently I hadn't installed it when I built my current computer 2 years ago so it must be on the old computer. I'll check but I'm 99.9 percent sure I have it. I'll post up a dropbox link.

Edit: No wonder I couldn't find it. The scenario name is Silence The Guns - Brecourt Manor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdwg88l1ajv9cy9/Silence%20the%20Guns%20-%20Brecourt%20Manor.btt?dl=0

Edited by [MyIS] Buffpuff

On 4/16/2016 at 11:12 AM, bram1979 said:

Greetings fellow Combat Mission fanatics,

I’m thinking of creating a monster campaign called “We Band of Brothers”. It will be a campaign spanning all 3 base games (CMBN, CMMG and CMFB). This campaign will follow the footsteps of Easy company 506th PIR during their campaign in Europe starting from June 5th 1944 up until February 1945. In order to create this I’m looking for a team:

• 3 map creators (level awesomeness). I mean those maps from CMFB are freeking awesome. Be of that type of level (or a bit less) :D

• 4 scenario scripter’s who know how to script a scenario and campaign (because I can’t)

• 1 historian who can search for OOB’s for both sides and create the storyline.  

• I’ll create maps, help with the OOB’s and storyline.

• All maps will be checked by the rest of the team to put the dots on the i :)

All battle’s will be (semi) historical and some will be “what if”/“possible” scenario’s.

It will be a time consuming project but well worth it for the community.

Communication will go by Skype and email.

If you think you can fill one of the above role’s please contact me.

• Tell what role you think you can handle

• (optional) show some sort of resume of your (previous) work with scenario building

Don't bother, since you will be using CMx2, then expect Three-Fold more casualties then Historically was the case. So, the whole 506th should no longer be in existent after the 1st Campaign...Oops, you mean to only use 1x Company (Easy Company), then, I expect this to be done in one Battle. 

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

12 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Don't bother, since you will be using CMx2, then expect Three-Fold more casualties then Historically was the case. So, the whole 506th should no longer be in existent after the 1st Campaign...Oops, you mean to only use 1x Company (Easy Company), then, I expect this to be done in one Battle. 

Joe

Do you want to make a point or were youre 2 braincells in conflict... If you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all. All you guys do is bitch and moan about an idea I have. But don't worry I've found folks within my own community that want to help. And the proces is already underway. If you don't want to participate or help that is fine but bitching aint helping.