Rifle Fire Knock Out StuG???

Today I was playing a battle of US Airborne Vs Germans 3 StuGs. I did not see any m7 spigot on his gun at end game review map and I don't know the distance that the stuG iiig mid was. I hope they will add a distance line checker at end game review map because I like to check distance kills. Anyways all I saw were shots from a split 3 man team 1 BAR and 2 garands, don't know what it was but they knocked it out somehow. I have a screen shot of the event if anyone is interested. It was right hand side of tank that took the fire. Again no m7 spigot seen on the two garand guns and they were quit a distance a way. Tankers bailed. Tank status is: knocked out and a US soldier has the kill. Panned around and found no 60mm or 66mm marks anywhere. The 3 soldiers were watching it for a long time.

Edited by user1000

Cool.  I had one KO'ed from a strafing run the other day.  Killed the TC and then multiple additional hits through the hatch until the vehicle was knocked out.  Ah that sucks.  Normally strafing runs against closed top AFVs amount to a hill of beans. I guess the key is to actually close the top :)

Back to yours.  Do you watch them actually KO'ing the stug or just see the end screen giving them credit - I am not clear from your post which it is.  Not specifically addressing your instance but be aware that the grenade count does not go down as grenades are used during the turn.  As you watch the play back the grenade count is set to the value that the unit will have at the end of the turn. So it is possible for stuff to happen as a result of grenades even though as you watch the unit seems to have none.  For example if a team of you men have two grenades as the move through the forest and just as the turn ends the spot some enemy soldiers.  In the next turn play back you would likely see they start the turn with zero grenades but if you watch the play back you will see them throw two of them.  Like I said not sure what is up in your specific situation yet because we need a bit more info.

Is the engine vulnerable to small arms fire from the rear sides anywhere? It wasn't turn by turn. I saw rifle fire and then the bail out could it be engine disable? I still have review map game on my desktop if there is a way to save it.

Edited by user1000

I don't think rifle fire can disable the engine or penetrate the sides. But I have seen withering fire make Stug crews nervous and backup and I have seen crews bail under heavy not very threatening fire when they are in bad shape morale wise but never from just small arms (always from cannons to small to penetrate but keep hitting the tank).  I don't know if you can save from the end screen but I am also not sure if that would help any.  It is hard to tell at the end of the game much about how any particular kill came about or how far the units were from each other when the KO happened.

A save game file is created whenever you save the game. Yeah, I know, but that's all it is. With that, someone could watch the replay to see what might have occurred here. I might suspect that they bailed if the (unbuttoned)TC was killed while immobilized, but I see nothing (such as shell craters nearby) to suggest this was the case. What were the ground conditions? The three dead crewman might offer a hint that one was still inside (dead TC). But that's only a guess and he could have gotten away.

And if my theory were correct I think it would say 'dismounted' or 'abandoned' and not 'knocked out'.

Edited by landser

On 11. April 2016 at 11:40 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Check out the many other posts about stugs getting knocked out by small arms. It's an evergreen topic.

Yes yes, I opened one only a few weeks ago. Small arms fire is not actually knocking out the StuG, but killing the crew. I have seen crews, which were down to two men. But still fighting. THAT's the spirit. ?