Just finished playing this one on real time as - surprise - the German side.

Very nice rendition of a battle I have possibly read four different accounts about. Managed to get within 25 meters of Lt. Bouck position, after suffering just 10 KIA, 13 WIA. 

The scenario isn't attributed... whomever was the author (or authors), thanks, this was quite fun to "reenact".

Did time run out at that point or did you manage to win in the end? 

Oops did I forget to put my name on it.  Sorry about that. That is a tough slog as the Germans for sure.  I probably made it a bit easier on the Germans given that people are able to get better than expected results as the Germans.  The actual engagement lasted most of the day and consisted of three separate assaults.  This battle represents the first one which in real life went terribly for the Germans with only a few wounded (all of whom kept fighting) US soldiers to show for it.

I am glad you liked it.  Oddly enough I actually had a pretty good time playing that H2H (as the US) as well - not sure how much fun my opponent had but I am sure it was challenging.

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

its ok. do some Aachen area fighting or the battles over Monschau.

Oh, I definitely want to do Monschau. I was there two summers ago and have lots of photographs. Absolutely beautiful town. It will be hard to make in the map editor though. The tight compactness and streets that don't conform to 90d or 45d angles will be a challenge.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

LOL sorry man.  There was a second assault over the same route a few hours after this one.  Followed by the final assault along the US right flank. You can easily make one of those if you like.

No problem :D, I suppose I could make it into a mini campaign too. So long as you don't also do Buchholz station. My grandfather was good friends with Captain Neil Brown. They served in the same battalion.

Edited by Pak40

2 minutes ago, Pak40 said:

Oh, I definitely want to do Monschau. I was there two summers ago and have lots of photographs. Absolutely beautiful town. It will be hard to make in the map editor though.

One of the master maps is set around Monschau. I'm not sure it'll cover the area you have in mind, but you should check it out. You may not have to make a map at all!

7 hours ago, IanL said:

Did time run out at that point or did you manage to win in the end? 

Oops did I forget to put my name on it.  Sorry about that. That is a tough slog as the Germans for sure.  I probably made it a bit easier on the Germans given that people are able to get better than expected results as the Germans.  The actual engagement lasted most of the day and consisted of three separate assaults.  This battle represents the first one which in real life went terribly for the Germans with only a few wounded (all of whom kept fighting) US soldiers to show for it.

I am glad you liked it.  Oddly enough I actually had a pretty good time playing that H2H (as the US) as well - not sure how much fun my opponent had but I am sure it was challenging.

I ran out of time - I didn't want  my pixeltruppen to be slaughtered.

Things got a bit "easier" when the .50 was taken down. There was a quite nice machine gun duel going on for a while.

The worst though, were the losses amongst my combat leaders: two platoon commanders, and six squad leaders... That didn't help with command and control....

Thanks Ian!

38 minutes ago, ChrisND said:

One of the master maps is set around Monschau. I'm not sure it'll cover the area you have in mind, but you should check it out. You may not have to make a map at all!

Well I was about to respond that I can't check out the master maps because only the demo is out. How wrong I was... Thanks for round about tip.

Anyway, I need the town itself. I'll check out the map when I get home tonight and download the game. Honestly, I hope it isn't done yet. I kind of like the challenge of making it myself. 

45 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

I ran out of time - I didn't want  my pixeltruppen to be slaughtered.

Things got a bit "easier" when the .50 was taken down. There was a quite nice machine gun duel going on for a while.

The worst though, were the losses amongst my combat leaders: two platoon commanders, and six squad leaders... That didn't help with command and control....

Thanks Ian!

Glad you liked it. Yeah that .50 cal is a beast. Had to tone it down a bit. In the real battle the inexperienced operators actually overheated the barrel and had to stop using. But that was later in the day not in the first engagement which this scenario is based on.

13 minutes ago, IanL said:

Glad you liked it. Yeah that .50 cal is a beast. Had to tone it down a bit. In the real battle the inexperienced operators actually overheated the barrel and had to stop using. But that was later in the day not in the first engagement which this scenario is based on.

With the period covered by this installment being so well documented in English, I can see many sensible and interesting what-ifs and other variants being made about many engagements (and this one is indeed one of the most notorious).

By the way, the duration of the engagement is just about fine - clobbering that lonley platoon in the ridge requires more firepower not more minutes in the clock...

4 hours ago, ChrisND said:

I've checked the Monschau master map but unfortunately it's not accurate in many respects,  no offense the map maker. It's just a really hard to do unless you have accurate information. The Monschau topo that I have is 1:25k and you can't even see any detail of the town. The contours are so tight there - it's just black lines. And the fact that the streets and buildings are tightly packed at odd angles make it really hard to pull off in the CM editor.

I have an inordinate interest in Monschau. Two reasons. I cant prove it was VTs first land combat use at all. But it definitely was an IMPORTANT early of use of VT and also unauthorized to boot. (see second citation)

Second because ol uncle Adolf reputedly said he thought it was Europe's prettiest city.  (source A Time for Trumpets. Forget the chapter. Though about 1/3 of the way through the book and yes if it becomes that big Ill go back re rent it at the library and find out what page.)

2 hours ago, Ts4EVER said:

I actually have been in Monschau and from my limited experience with the CM map editor I would say it is really hard, bordering on impossible, to pull it off.

Agreed, but I'm going to attempt it anyway :D

I will, for darn sure, make it more like the actual town. The topography on the master map is all wrong.