What is the best drone to spot troops?

17 hours ago, Tempestzzzz said:

Subject says it all. And do you use area search or set a point over a forest area.

When playing as the US I do not use drones because the Tunguskas just shoots them down.  The US has one drone that can only be hit if it attacks but that one cost to much purchase points to be worth it.  So when US no drones.  

The Russian Zala is a god drone and can only be shot down by AAA which the US does not have.  (As a result some PBEM players have house rules against this drone). 

I have always used area search. 

As US I buy ravens as they're cheep  cheep. They get shot down sue but there's plenty of them. 

I avoid loitering surveillance -  that just means drone death. Instead I pop them up before an attack by me or when expecting or under enemy attack. I get a quick sense of the situ then cease fire on them. 

This does not guarantee they'll live,  a Tun is pretty quick at spotting,  but it gives them a longer life. 

The Russian drones are wayyy slower at spotting,  so they dont last long,  and they're NOT cheap. Zala seems to do OK. 

As US I buy ravens as they're cheep  cheep. They get shot down sue but there's plenty of them. 

I avoid loitering surveillance -  that just means drone death. Instead I pop them up before an attack by me or when expecting or under enemy attack. I get a quick sense of the situ then cease fire on them. 

This does not guarantee they'll live,  a Tun is pretty quick at spotting,  but it gives them a longer life. 

The Russian drones are wayyy slower at spotting,  so they dont last long,  and they're NOT cheap. Zala seems to do OK. 

I've had great success with Grey Eagles. I don't usually use Ravens in QBs, but in scenarios I usually try to use them as kinophile mentioned, although one is never enough and if I have only one Raven, I probably will save it for later and then never use it. But overall, drones take long to spot troops and they also take long to spot concealed vehicles, but will spot vehicles in the open in a turn or two.

But Grey Eagles are awesome. Invulnerable observation, plus 4 Hellfires? Yes, please. :D