Please BFC, no more titanium trees

13 hours ago, cool breeze said:

I live in CA so when I think of big trees redwoods come to mind first, but I know that's not fair for Europe.   So here's a pine tree in CA ( still unfair, I know, we win the tree game). 

DSC_0162.JPG

That's one amazing tree. I wonder how old it is.

Most trees are much smaller though. I would like to know how strong a regular big oak tree (too big to wrap your arms all the way around) would be against bullets and shells.

Edited by Bulletpoint

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

I remember long ago when I began driving my brother advised me that if I had to hit a tree, to pick one less than six inches in diameter. But I imagine that a high velocity AT shot could penetrate a lot more.

Michael

I was thinking HE would make a lot of matchsticks if it hit a tree, but I could see an AT shot being stopped as the tree absorbs all that kinetic energy so well.

I did a first test. Three Shermans (75 mm at about 250m) two "D" trees, HE shots (aimed at houses). Shots aimed low to hit trunks. Both trees defoliated after first hit and both disappeared after third hit. I will run the test again and aim at the canopies to see if the result is different. And then try the test with AP.

On 2016-04-02 at 1:38 PM, rocketman said:

I did a first test. Three Shermans (75 mm at about 250m) two "D" trees, HE shots (aimed at houses). Shots aimed low to hit trunks. Both trees defoliated after first hit and both disappeared after third hit. I will run the test again and aim at the canopies to see if the result is different. And then try the test with AP.

Test two: aimed at the canopies and the result was pretty much the same. Once defoliated the canopy seemed a bit harder to hit. Again, the test needs to be run with AP. Also, this is for one type of tree. There might be differences.

Test three: a field of bushes (C). Really hard to get a hit with a low enough trajectory, but the one hit I got eliminated the bush instantly. What will AP do? IRL would it just pass through.

Edit: test one and two were at 450 m and not 250 as stated previously.

Edited by rocketman
Correction

I noticed in a recent H2H battle that one (1) HE shot from a Sherman was enough to strip a tree of its leaves. That seems to be something new that was introduced in the latest patch (?) If my memory serves me right, it used to take several HE bursts to remove the foliage from a tree. 

Happy to report that I noticed for the very first time in any CM game I've played, a tree trunk being hit by tank round that removed the foliage, followed by the next round that hit the trunk that actually removed (destroyed) the trunk!  This was in CMFI BTW.

Probably would not have noticed it (again) if it wasn't mentioned in a thread like this that these things CAN happen in the game.

44 minutes ago, Lt Bull said:

Happy to report that I noticed for the very first time in any CM game I've played, a tree trunk being hit by tank round that removed the foliage, followed by the next round that hit the trunk that actually removed (destroyed) the trunk!  This was in CMFI BTW.

Probably would not have noticed it (again) if it wasn't mentioned in a thread like this that these things CAN happen in the game.

It definitely happened before too, that HE and even MG fire would strip a tree of the leaves, but the question is if it now happens faster than it used to..

I believe that sometimes, you need to move the camera close to the tree to see how damaged it is, as it will just show up as a generic tree when in the distance, until it loses all the leaves.