Which BMP to Choose?

MOS:96B2P

If you do some tests you'll see that T-64 Bulat reactive armor stops the BMP-3 ATGM.

Fair enough, but either I don't know all the anti-tandem properties of Nozh ERA, or 9M117M is not represented correctly. Since I can't test now, does all ERA defeat BMP-3 missiles, or just T-64BM's?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a different test I can tell the T-64BV ERA is capable of neutralizing the AT-10 ATGM launched by a BMP-3M.

Seems to me the game represents the 9M117 missile, without the tandem warhead.

In an old report, Charles indicated that the game is using the tandem "Arkan" version of the ATGM.  Do you have a save of the test?

Found a great write up on the BMP-3. It covers the vehicle in great detail.

Of relevance to this discussion - various protection schemes, types of ammunition and fuses for 30mm and 100mm as well as the ATGMs in use. The current ones are tandem and have some kind of beam focusing charge as well.

http://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.my/2014/10/bmp-3-underappreciated-prodigy.html

In an old report, Charles indicated that the game is using the tandem "Arkan" version of the ATGM.  Do you have a save of the test?

I see, "Arkan" is the codename for 9M117M1 missile family, which definitely should be tandem. 9M117M missile family is called "Kan". In any case, both are fairly dated, standard tech at this point, with "Kan" being adopted for service in 1989, and "Arkan" following suite in 2005. For some reason I used to think that only "Bahcha-U" weapons platform could use Arkan, I no longer think that is the case since no limitations are written in by the manufacturer. 

re: BMP-3

It might just be me but the dang thing seems like a magnet to lethal fires.  Even going back to CMSF it seemed if something was going to catch that magic RPG-7/AT-4/grenade it was going to be the BMP-3, and it was going to go off like a bomb.  The 100 mm is nice though.  I still prefer the lower end BMPs because I tend to use IFVs (even M2s) mostly to move troops to assault points and then a rearward SBF (which while the BMP-3 is good for this, the 30 MM on the BMP-2 is up to snuff for suppressing objectives), or accompanying tanks (in which case the 125 MM can handle anything forward and has airburst).

It's all personal preference really.  I'll just always default to more tanks, less IFVs, and a general reluctance to place IFVs forward which makes something cheaper attractive.

Same. You don't seem em on Russian ToEs anymore but i'd go right ahead and pick the BMP-1 even today if it's available. I have a thing for gun-cannons over auto-cannons.