Armored Car vs. MG42

Two questions here:

What are these armored cars that fire what looks to be a flash at night and yet acts like a grape shot against infantry?

How close do I have to be with an MG42 to kill it with a frontal shot, and does being in a 2nd story building or higher at around 100-200m away help with armor penetration?

There are several (well, at least two) armoured cars which might have canister rounds. The M8 is probably the most common. I don't think you can penetrate their armour frontally with any rifle-calibre weapon, and you'd have to be pretty high up at that range to have the plunging aspect provide more than the occasional "Hit: Opening; Penetration" result, which probably won't kill any crew but might make them a bit squirrelly.

I don't think you can penetrate their armour frontally with any rifle-calibre weapon, and you'd have to be pretty high up at that range to have the plunging aspect provide more than the occasional "Hit: Opening; Penetration" result, which probably won't kill any crew but might make them a bit squirrelly.

You can actually kill it with rifle fire from about 50 metres distance. I know because I played a lot of armoured infantry only games lately, and I had one instance where I had to bring up an M8 to provide close fire support inside a forest area. However, it does seem to be a bug of some kind, as there's no "penetration" message (or maybe they aim for the vision slits? But in that case, it should display 'Hit:Opening', I guess?

There's also another bug with it, where it acts as if the two front hatches open up when you unbutton, but they are not shown opening. Had long-range machinegun fire kill both the crewmen inside the wagon, without any penetration messages. I reported the bug and Vanir sent it to BF.

Yeah, I think there are a couple of models where there's a gap somewhere between the plates that didn't orter be there. They're small, but when the volume of fire gets high (as you get closer and the grunts increase their RoF) the gap gets hit. But other than bugs, and rare vision slit hits the front of an M8 is pretty rifle-proof.

Two questions here:

What are these armored cars that fire what looks to be a flash at night and yet acts like a grape shot against infantry?

How close do I have to be with an MG42 to kill it with a frontal shot, and does being in a 2nd story building or higher at around 100-200m away help with armor penetration?

I know for sure the M8, and Stuart tanks fire Canister shot.  If you have the ability to supply your MG42 teams with AP ammo, do so.  I have ripped apart many crews in M8 scout cars and even the M3 halftracks.  So if you have SPW 251/1 halftracks you can supply your MG42 squads with AP ammo.  Its what I do if I have either the vehicles in a mission, or even QB.  1 halftrack has I think 2000 rounds of AP.  Obviously range is a key factor and canister shot is pretty devastating.

I know for sure the M8, and Stuart tanks fire Canister shot.  If you have the ability to supply your MG42 teams with AP ammo, do so.  I have ripped apart many crews in M8 scout cars and even the M3 halftracks.  So if you have SPW 251/1 halftracks you can supply your MG42 squads with AP ammo.  Its what I do if I have either the vehicles in a mission, or even QB.  1 halftrack has I think 2000 rounds of AP.  Obviously range is a key factor and canister shot is pretty devastating.

So only AP rounds from an MG will pierce their armor with a frontal shot?

BTW...if my MG team grabs the halftrack's extra AP ammo, will they use that before the regular non-AP ammo they're issued?

no german rifle round or mg-42 is going to penetrate the M8 greyhound front and side armor, dunno about rear

Not true. I've seen German smg rounds penetrate the M8 Greyhound sides at close ranges. Plenty of "penetration" and "partial penetration" messages. No real damage though, but the (green) crew panicked.

Also, I've seen rifles open fire and kill the crew from the front at around 50 metre range.

Edited by Bulletpoint

I grabbed my Hunnicutt 'ARMORED CAR" reference book to check on the M8 AC armor specs.

Turret is 19.1mm all around angled between 15 and 18 degrees.
Front has various thicknesses. Upper front it 19.1mm at 45 degrees, middle-front is 12.7mm at 60 degrees and lower front is 15.9mm at 30 degrees.
The sides, though, are only 9mm at 22 degrees. Not much at all.

I used to work with an old WWII jungle fighter whose CO blew a hole through the unit's M3 HT side with his .45 pistol as an example of why the infantry should not rely on their HT's armor for cover during a fight.  :)

@ bulletpoint I don't think so... In REAL life anyways...

Bulletpoint was not talking about going through vision slits but armor penetration, Besides do you know how hard it is to penetrate a vision slit with a spray and pray smg like the mp-40?? Good way to waste ammo/get KIA trying and virtually impossible.

penetrating armor sides with the 9mm smg no go as well

@ Mikey I believe the .45 story on the m3s.. But US half-tracks don't compare to greyhounds..

Edited by user1000

If anyone wants to create a saved game or two showing the inappropriate armour penetrations please do. I am way to busy myself but I can get a few precanned saves into the system. If you set up the US ac as fanatic with a short cover arc they will let you get the enemy weapons as close as you want. Possibly immobilize the ac if it tends to run away.

Share them here via drop box or similar or PM me if that will not work and we can sort out some other way.