How to get regular US inf in quick battles?

Every time I start a quick battle and select "infantry only" for the US side, I end up with armoured infantry, armed with rifles and bazookas only.. If I select "Mech Inf", I end up with armoured infantry again, but this time with halftracks and maybe a scout car or two.

How to get the regular infantry with SMGs and BARs that are used in the campaigns?

On the screen where it is asking the battle type, year etc I always choose mix.  (Never tried to enter anything else in that field).  Then on the purchase screen near the bottom left side all the choices (infantry only, Mech inf etc.) are listed again.  I pick infantry only at this stage in the process and never had a problem.    

If you're after something specific, you're going to have to go in after it yourself.

The Computer force-pick is not the strongest element of CM :lol:

Not after anything specific, just regular infantry. I like having the computer pick the forces and then work with what I get, instead of cherry-picking...

One thing you can do to still keep the computer selects the forces but you get some influence is choose human selected forces but instead of manually choosing use the suggestion button.  Have a look at what you got and if you like what you see hit suggest again.  Repeat as needed.

Mind you I have no idea if the rotation of choices will include regular infantry or not but worth a try.

I will make you an offer I hope you can't refuse.  Post exactly what kind of battle you are looking to play, the size of map and force selections you would to have to play with and if it matters to you as well what you would like to play against.  I will then set up 10 battles quick battles and send you a link to a dropbox folder where you can find them.  The battles will need to be loaded to the setup phase and then saved.  I would save an American Infantry only vs Waffen SS Infantry only as follows:  Am Inf vs SS Inf Large ME medium map night     This should tell you that you will be playing as the Americans, in a large Meeting Engagement, on a medium map, at night vs Waffen SS infantry only.  The weather will be set to random so you get whatever the computer chooses.   Sound good??? The catch? You set up ten quick battles for me, I care not what the size, type or force selections are only that they be on elite setting and single player wego battles. The rest is up to you.....

I did some testing, and it seems there's no difference between letting the computer decide on forces and going to the manual force selection screen and having the computer make a suggestion.

However, it DOES sometimes choose regular infantry, it's just very rare, something like 1 out of 8 battles.

It might have to do with rarity (I use standard rarity, were armoured infantry much more common than regular infantry in reality?)

Or, it might have to do with battle size. I play TINY battles these days (in very difficult terrain). Maybe there's something about the points constraints that make armoured inf and engineers the most viable choices..

Or maybe the force selection algorithm just plain sucks! Occam's Razor says yes.