Russian doctrine in CMRT

JasonC, how much resistance is needed before you stop your first wave and start blasting?

I mean, if you advance as a company, each of your platoons could be one wave. They advance on a broad front to avoid bunching up.

Now, imagine one of the squads take fire from a machinegun some 300 metres distant, but because of terrain, the rest of your squads in first wave don't see anything.

Do you then continue advancing those other squads till the entire line has enganged, or do you stop and blast that one machine gun before rolling up wave two?

Bulletpoint - a company doesn't use platoons as waves, and won't advance them side by side, and certainly won't stop because one squad takes fire.

A company is more like the minimum unit of maneuver for a Russian Rifle style infantry attack.  Sure there are SOPs it follows inside and we can talk over those, but the first thing to understand is that a Russian rifle company gets *one* mission, on *one* axis of advance, as *one* wave.  Not 3.  As for how broad a front that company should advance on is, 400 to 500 meters, tops.  If you've only got one company and the frontage is a full kilometer or more, you might have a small patrol to cover the part of the frontage you won't be using, but almost the whole company will advance in the 400-500 meters you are using.  

Such a flank patrol might be a single HQ team, a single squad, split, and an ATR.  Maybe a second split up squad and a sharpshooter in addition.  With like half the battlefield just for them.  They are just eyes they pick forward very carefully (a few movers at a time, max) and stay in cover etc.  They can't attack anything and can't really even defend anything, but they will see it coming and give a bit of warning if the enemy leaves his positions on that part of the field trying to flank the main company attack.  I am just explaining what I mean by a flank patrol, understand.  Better is if the next unit over provides such flank security, but beggars can't be chosers sometimes.  The key thing is *not* to spread out to the full width of the map in an even spread.  That just prevents you having the depth anywhere, to fight the Russian rifle formation way.

What is a typical formation for the advancing company, with or without such a slight detachment, in the place where you are actually attacking?  A blob.  Either a wedge with one platoon up, or a square with two platoons up and two following in their foot steps.  One of those could be company weapons or an ad hoc platoon led by the company commander.  Each platoon is then, again, in a blob formation, not a single skirmish line.  There could be several layers to the company as a result, but those aren't really the "waves" talked about previously, they are all one wave.  They are all in mutual supporting distance, a grenade throw or less from each other, similar sight picture from one to the next.  You don't want a single artillery shell to take out too many of them, they maintain their interval in that sense.  But the whole group is still a continuous cloud, not a thin line.  

What do they do if a leading unit takes MG fire from a single shooter 300 meters distant?  The single unit fired on hits the deck and avoids fire by crawling to the nearest available cover, more likely back than forward.  Everyone else keeps right on going.  It is going to take a heck of a lot more than one distant MG to stop the whole company.  That's kind of why there is a whole company coming.  If the MG shifts its fire to another, the first rallies and gets back up and comes on again.  The new group shot at hits the deck and crawls to cover and so forth.  Good luck stopping 20 units that way with just 1 shooter.  You probably won't have a good "spot" of the firing MG, but since it can't remotely stop you from getting closer and changing that, there isn't much reason to care.

If you do get close enough, it is the company's own heavy weapons that are charged with suppressing isolated, single MGs.  If battalion 82mm mortars back at the line of departure can chime in, great, but not strictly necessary.  None of this counts as the wave being stopped or calls for any pause to fire at the defense with major fire support.

If, instead, we are talking about the entire leading edge of the company coming under fire, and shells falling as well, and half a dozen enemy shooters heard (a full platoon position with HMG supplements or similar), then the company wave may stop and fire back and call for fire support.  It uses its unshot elements to reach reasonable cover near where it was first "checked"; it can avoid the fire (everyone prone etc) if it is hot enough and there is going to be fire support help soon.  Or it can try to fire back itself and see if it can achieve fire dominance from its own internal resources.  

The key thing there is not to press if it isn't working.  The problem is not one of movement and it isn't a charge; the company either has the firepower to blow away what has confronted it or it doesn't.  If it doesn't, deny closer engagement (cover, prone, short withdrawal etc) and wait for the fire support; the company's mission is to rally in that case, and to hold, ratchet fashion, whatever ground it already covered, that has any terrain worth holding.

The whole battalion is supposed to see that company advance result, and assign fire and direct the next company attack wave based on how it went and what it discovered.  Immediately, with no pause in the overall combat.  "OK, you showed me that position to check A company, my fire elements will chew on that, thanks.  Whatcha got vs B company?"  The idea is to induce the defender to reveal himself, to commit his reserves, to show you where his main body is and reveal the whole plan and intention of the defensive scheme.  The attack then directs itself at that scheme, in a "hit them where they are", firepower method.  It is not a hunt for gaps, but for targets, targets that are then plastered, and assaulted once duly plastered.

For that to work, the waves have to find serious positions, enough to justify major fire allocations to deal with that.  That is *why* the waves are substantial in size.  It isn't a matter of feeling forward with half squads looking for safe routes or trying to cover ground.  The wave is supposed to be heavy enough that it either goes right into or through the enemy, or he reveals real strength to stop it.  That strength is they directly smashed, by fire and the next assault.  There is nothing subtle about this...

I hope that helps.

I'm really appreciating this discussion! I was handling armour okay before but my infantry kept getting shot up.

If I suspect the Germans are in the treeline that I want my company to advance to, do I use pre-planned fire to hammer them until my guys are right on top, or should I be shifting further to the rear? Are guns or mortars (if so, from what level?) providing the fire?

As far as commands go, am I using "fast" the whole route of advance, or Quick-Fast-Assault? At what distances do I use which move orders?

The trickiest thing is what to do with the infantry weapons. Are the weapons platoons advancing with the companies? What the heck do I do with the Battalion weapons company? I have no idea what to do with all those machineguns!

So far in the Russian campaign my strategy has been basically this: pre-planned artillery, up to and including organic mortars on suspected enemy strongpoints.  The Russian C2 is just too limited to be able to accurately and quickly bring artillery fire during the fight, perhaps with the exception of the company (battalion?) mortars. Only a handful of officers have the capacity, and wait times are usually 8+ minutes (playing elite). The few fire missions I have called in during action have come in 300-400 meters off, as well. 

I usually start with the weapons company machine guns (and any available rifle company machine guns) setting up in overwatch of my planned route of advance - pioneer platoons are the first forward, to sort out any mine fields that lay ahead, particular along roads and paths. I am specifically trying to identify anti-tank mines, as I need to ensure the limited numbers of SU-76s (or whatever mobile gun / armor) can safely advance along with the infantry. 

Then, each infantry company is sent forward along this route. Armor moves "slow" along with the infantry, who are always set to "quick", unless maneuvering far from the front, in which case they move at a walking pace to preserve energy. The infantry company usually stays about 100-150 meters ahead of the armor, to hopefully spot any AT gun positions. Once the rifle platoons start taking small arms fire (usually medium-heavy machine guns at 400 + meter ranges), the SU-76s are moved forward to blast away at the machine guns. If AT guns are spotted, either by infantry or when they kill a SU-76, I try to move multiple guns and bring HE on top of them from several positions.

Rifle companies bound forward, along with armor at this pace, eliminating strong points as they appear. One thing I have done is to split up the rifle platoons into their smaller sections, when advancing. This is tedious normally, and even more so when commanding a battalion of infantry, but because they advance as one large group, it does prevent excessive casualties when the machine guns do start up. I usually plot "quick" commands up to the destination with 10-15 second pauses every 30 meters or so. This helps keep them fresh, and also further splits up the company to minimize casualties. As far as the distance covered total, I advance forward towards the next available cover, that is in range of my guns and overwatching machine guns. 

This process is then repeated until the final objective is secured. Weapons company is moving forward once there is enough machine guns from the rifle companies set up at the next base of fire. Then the weapons machine guns set up from there, and the pioneers set out again, etc, etc. It is definitely a slow going process. 

This has worked fairly well - casualties are taken, especially when close assaulting strong points or entrenched infantry. I generally try to soften these spots up as much as possible, but eventually my guys have to physically occupy those positions - and a few remaining MP44s or machine guns or potato mashers can do a lot of damage.  

Probably my biggest fear is enemy artillery. Since entire companies are advancing as a singular supported unit, and my strategy thus far has required long periods of static over watch as other units move - enemy artillery has caused most of my casualties. 

How do you avoid heavy losses to artillery when an entire company is packed together like this? 

So far in the Russian campaign my strategy has been basically this: pre-planned artillery, up to and including organic mortars on suspected enemy strongpoints.  The Russian C2 is just too limited to be able to accurately and quickly bring artillery fire during the fight, perhaps with the exception of the company (battalion?) mortars. Only a handful of officers have the capacity, and wait times are usually 8+ minutes (playing elite). The few fire missions I have called in during action have come in 300-400 meters off, as well. 

I usually start with the weapons company machine guns (and any available rifle company machine guns) setting up in overwatch of my planned route of advance - pioneer platoons are the first forward, to sort out any mine fields that lay ahead, particular along roads and paths. I am specifically trying to identify anti-tank mines, as I need to ensure the limited numbers of SU-76s (or whatever mobile gun / armor) can safely advance along with the infantry. 

Then, each infantry company is sent forward along this route. Armor moves "slow" along with the infantry, who are always set to "quick", unless maneuvering far from the front, in which case they move at a walking pace to preserve energy. The infantry company usually stays about 100-150 meters ahead of the armor, to hopefully spot any AT gun positions. Once the rifle platoons start taking small arms fire (usually medium-heavy machine guns at 400 + meter ranges), the SU-76s are moved forward to blast away at the machine guns. If AT guns are spotted, either by infantry or when they kill a SU-76, I try to move multiple guns and bring HE on top of them from several positions.

Rifle companies bound forward, along with armor at this pace, eliminating strong points as they appear. One thing I have done is to split up the rifle platoons into their smaller sections, when advancing. This is tedious normally, and even more so when commanding a battalion of infantry, but because they advance as one large group, it does prevent excessive casualties when the machine guns do start up. I usually plot "quick" commands up to the destination with 10-15 second pauses every 30 meters or so. This helps keep them fresh, and also further splits up the company to minimize casualties. As far as the distance covered total, I advance forward towards the next available cover, that is in range of my guns and overwatching machine guns. 

This process is then repeated until the final objective is secured. Weapons company is moving forward once there is enough machine guns from the rifle companies set up at the next base of fire. Then the weapons machine guns set up from there, and the pioneers set out again, etc, etc. It is definitely a slow going process. 

This has worked fairly well - casualties are taken, especially when close assaulting strong points or entrenched infantry. I generally try to soften these spots up as much as possible, but eventually my guys have to physically occupy those positions - and a few remaining MP44s or machine guns or potato mashers can do a lot of damage.  

Probably my biggest fear is enemy artillery. Since entire companies are advancing as a singular supported unit, and my strategy thus far has required long periods of static over watch as other units move - enemy artillery has caused most of my casualties. 

How do you avoid heavy losses to artillery when an entire company is packed together like this? 

I hope that helps.

Definitely, thanks. But it seems this plan assumes that the enemy will be sitting in a very neatly defined strongpoint that can then be smashed by artillery.

I find that most maps I play (I don't have CMRT yet), the enemy will hardly ever be concentrated. Instead, my lead elements will come under substantial fire from machineguns in several different places on the map, with long sight lines.

So, assuming I had a battallion worth of troops, my rifles can't just roll forward; they are useless at long range, and calling in artillery against each of those separate machineguns would take forever and a day. How did the Red Army deal with this kind of situation?

How did the Red Army deal with this kind of situation?

They just rolled forward, not worrying about the casualties. Unlike your situation in this game/sim, back then there were always new units available to send forward. There is a reason why the total Russian millitary casualtes of WWII are estimated at almost 9 million men.

Bulloetpoint - a company doesn't use platoons as waves, and won't advance them side by side, and certainly won't stop because one squad takes fire...

What would a typical CM scenario look like for such a company attack, in terms of map size and assigned frontage? You say they would attack on a 400-500m frontage... would they have sister battalions close up right on their flanks, or would there be 200-300m of empty space on both sides of an attacking company? Did company commanders have much leeway on their avenues of approach or were the frontages so specifically assigned that their approaches were all but predesignated? Did the followup companies have room to maneuver or would they just push straight through?

They just rolled forward, not worrying about the casualties. Unlike your situation in this game/sim, back then there were always new units available to send forward. There is a reason why the total Russian millitary casualtes of WWII are estimated at almost 9 million men.

Hm yes, but I think that in the game, the squads would very quickly stop moving forward, get pinned down and then fall back.

Did the Russians try to suppress the enemy machineguns while the company kept rolling, or was it all just rrah rrah?

Or should I understand it as all the guys being suppressed being the clue to start bombarding and prep the second wave?

Maybe isolated machinegunes are taken care of continually by your assault guns/light mortars, without stopping the company advance?

Trying to get my head around what triggers a company halt / full bombardment phase and wave change. Fascinated by this tactic of wave attacks, as it's so different from my natural instincts and the way I play CM.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Several questions... First to Doug.

Don't use "fast'.  Running troops are very vulnerable, and the problem is not one of minimizing exposure time.  Fast should only be used in your own "backfield", to reposition a reserve inside a friendly town, for example, or to route-march down a road out of LOS of the enemy until you near a jumping off point - with friendlies ahead to ensure there is nothing enemy along the route.

The normal move order for advancing troops is "quick", in short dashes, which they can complete in a minute or less.  Before firing starts you can even use "move to contact", to have them all stop and get down as soon as fire is opened.  Inside woods or similar cover, and for heavy weapons teams that can't keep up "quick" without becoming exhausted, just use "move". But don't use that command (or "fast") once under fire.  If they can't "quick" they should probably not be moving at all, but sometimes "slow" to crawl 20 meters to cover may be necessary. While under fire already, mind.

The big mental adjustment is to just completely drop the idea that the problem is one of movement in the first place.  You aren't trying to get somewhere.  You are trying to keep the company alive and in good order, and presenting firepower to the enemy.  The only reason you are moving is (1) you don't have spots yet and (2) infantry firepower is higher at closer range.  If you don't have fire superiority in small arms terms, you emphatically would not want to close - you would just be driving up enemy firepower faster than your own.  Only if reason (2) is going to operate in your favor by a large amount does reducing the range benefit you.  Because you are not trying to solve a problem of movement or get anywhere.  You are trying to win a war of attrition by killing the enemy, preferably before he kills you.  

The biggest reason to walk towards him, therefore, is (1).  If you don't have any targets where you are, either you are expecting a change on the enemy side to give you some presently (whether from a movement of his, or from hiding guys coming off hide to fire, or similar), or you have to move to get to locations that can see enemies.

Next, do you prep fire at a merely suspected treeline?  If you have artillery fire support to burn and not a lot of time, you can fire at likely enemy positions directly along your planned path of advance, and follow that barrage as it walks along your route.  But usually you won't have enough fire support for this.  Indirect FOs are commonly put on only the single most likely enemy held position, either the objective or a point with good cover near the clearly most important route to the objective.  There needs to be a very high chance of a significant number of enemy under the barrage footprint to justify firing off a full module of ammo at a map reference, with no known target.

Otherwise, you can have an FO of a "reactive" artillery module call for fire on such a treeline and have the minutes counting down, while you advance.  If you don't find enemy, then you adjust the aim point of the barrage farther on.  You hold the barrage in readiness, in other words, a few minutes out, ahead of the advance.  As soon as the enemy threat becomes actual, you just stop adjusting (or make one final, adaptive adjustment to where the enemy is thickest) and let it count the rest of the way down and land on him.

Faster response comes from the on map HE weapons - the 82mm mortars, SU-76s, T-34s.  They don't "area fire" without a target.  They get LOS to that suspected treeline before your infantry steps out.  They are "overwatch", you only advance the infantry at positions your overwatch can see.  When the infantry reach a body of cover, they clear it of any enemy and check it and occupy its forward positions and look out at whatever they can see.  Then the overwatch displaces forward to that body of cover, or to peek around it, at the next LOS blockage.  When the overwatch is in place again, the infantry steps out again - not before.

Note, this is not a matter of the overwatch HE shooters helping the infantry move.  The infantry is clearing LOS blockages the HE shooters can't see through.  If you could already see the enemy and he couldn't evade or get away by ducking, you'd sit right where you are and casually murder them all with HE fire, from range.  It is only because the enemy is hiding or behind LOS blockages that anybody needs to advance in the first place.  Then the threat of your infantry walking right over them forces them to reveal themselves and fire.  If they don't, then your infantry finds them anyway, at a point blank range with maximum firepower etc.

You say the trickiest thing is what to do with the infantry heavy weapons.  They are like the HE shooters above - overwatch, and the 82mm mortars in particular are the most important weapons in the whole battalion.  HMG teams, ATRs, and snipers are also part of the overwatch element, along with the mortars, FOs, supporting armor.  The difference with the infantry heavy weapons is just that they are cover-loving like the squad infantry, rather than cover-blocked like armor.

That just means the normal place for the infantry heavy weapons is the last place the squad infantry just cleared.  Squads check out that woods, no enemy.  OK, so the HMG and mortar can set up there.  What can they see from there?  Well, why did you pick it as a place to reach and clear, if it couldn't see stuff that mattered to the next step of your planned advance?  An avenue of advance is, precisely, a sequence of cover positions each of which covers the move to the next one, by having observation of that next step in the chain.

If the range to the next little step is 80 yards, no you don't need to fetch up your 82mm mortars.  At that range, the infantry squads are their own cover fire.  But at 300 or 400 yards, their rifles and LMGs aren't going to do diddly; the infantry heavy weapons need to come up and cover that move, instead.

Of course defenders try to separate you from your overwatch.  Meaning, pick spots that can see your leading infantry, but that every part of your side of the field can't easily see.  That's normal.  Take all the spots they can't cover that way first, the locations they could only see from that "up" position on the front treeline or a top the hill, or from the forward line of buildings.  Those spots your overwatch *does* sweep, so those are where you head *first*, with the squad infantry.

Once you "own" those, you pick next locations because the squads can cover themselves (short distances, good cover), or you bring up the heavy weapons.  So if the enemy is on a reverse slope, first take your own side of that slope.  Get squad infantry up into the first cover positions on the slope, to spot what is immediately beyond.  Plan your next "move" after you determine all that, with your heavy weapons safely in your dead ground but near the crest, so they can pick whether to engage.

Every move the enemy picks has a counter.  If he is "up" and can see everything, then you "counter" with overwatch firepower from range.  If he is "back" and hiding and can't see much, you advance to take the ground he thereby ceded to you, and then you pick just a few of him to "overload".  He usually can't pick *both* to be hidden and also to have all his weapons bear on any of yours.  So you either rely on full overwatch to take on the whole enemy position, or you set up a many on few, then another, and pick your way through only a few of the enemy positions, enough to open a route and dislocate his defense scheme.  You don't get to decide which of those approaches to use.  The enemy sets up one way or another, and you have to use the appropriate "counter" to his chosen mix of "up" and "back" positions (wide LOS and forward slope each, vs narrow LOS and reverse slope each).

The next point for Doug should go without saying, but don't rush onto the enemy position.  Movement doesn't take ground - fire takes ground.  You normally clear a position by plastering the enemy on that position and them abandoning it as too hot (or routing away, or dying where they stand) before you send anyone there yourself.  Send shells and bullets, not bodies.  Only send bodies yourself when there is nothing left by bodies in the other sense of the term, as defenders.  OK, occasionally you may "assault" when the remaining defenders are heads down and cowering, but when it doubt, wait and shoot some more.  Get someone into cover at grenade range, or at least good SMG range, first.  It is usually the 3rd unit that "assaults", while one is taking reply fire and occasionally pinned as a result, and the second is firing back continually and keeping the enemy head's down (and freeing the first to add its fire etc).  Never quick or walk at an equal number of enemy shooters - you are just giving them free kills and are not a danger to them at all.

It may help to visualize the later stages of the attack, that you are trying to set up.  Every covered position 400 to 500 yards from the enemy with any LOS to any of his positions has MG teams along its forward edge, and HQs spotting for 82mm mortars farther back, hiding behind that cover, and FOs and ATRs and snipers.  Every covered position within 200 yards of the enemy has squad infantry lining every forward spot, with rifles and LMGs at the ready, the men rallied, even if a few have been hit and are down etc.  Supporting armor is peeking around a few of those (either kind), ready able and willing to toss in direct fire HE at any MG that the forward infantry discover.  Then the nearest cover "emits" small teams that "bound" forward at "quick", to any shellhole or house or clump of trees they can find, 75 yards from that enemy.  Then 30 yards from that enemy, after any spots at the 75 have "filled up" with teams that made it.  Anybody shoots at and stops those teams, the whole company sentences to death by firing squad and executes said sentence immediately.  Then another few teams repeat the procedure - as many times as the enemy likes, until they are dead or shut up and go to ground.  It only ends when there are squads rallied with SMGs at the ready at 75, and a few grenade throwers get to 30, alive.  They throw, and throw a little more, and then enemy has stopped firing.  Now someone moves "quick" into the actual cover they used to be firing from.  Same procedure if those get shot.  Repeat until they don't.

It isn't fast, isn't meant to be, doesn't have to be.  There is no panicking.  No "oh no, someone is shooting at us, we must DO SOMETHINK!!!"

It is combat, being shot at is normal.  The something one does about it is shoot back.

I hope that helps Doug...

T-70s - button them, follow infantry scouts if there is any cover (yours or the enemy's) and shoot what tries to interfere with your foot scouts.  It is easier to see stuff that is shooting.

In open, they can go ahead, but only in the open.  Avoid the idea of recon by death and trying to find things be just getting them to shoot at your light armor.  One, that isn't what light armor is for. Two, if you must, us a BA-64 for that, not a whole T-70.

T-70s are deadly to enemy light vehicles and to infantry that doesn't have real cover.  That's all they need to be deadly toward.  One T-70 suppresses one enemy shooter.  Actually attacking is something 3 to 5 of the things do together, not just 1.

A well of great information, Jason. Thanksalot! I remember playing your scenarios in CMBB, learned a lot about how to handle my guys back then.

I know this is the thread on russian doctrine, but maybe you could give your opinion on how the german army would fight in similar conditions, infantry branch, in contrast to the russian rifle units( if there is a difference).