Question why no US airborne in April/May 1944

IIRC, there were no US Airborne units* at the front in Italy at that time, all units previously present having been withdrawn for operations outside Italy. US Airborne should make a brief reappearance in June in the next module.

*There may have been an artillery unit operating independently that remained in action in this period.

Edited by akd

Also I am very impressed that BF knew that and even more impressed that they would go to the trouble to make sure that that fact was modelled in the game.  I for one would never have known.  :-))

Check out some of the British/Canadian recon units. There are periods in the game where their structure and/equipment change on an almost monthly basis. I might have gotten carried away with the TO&E...

You guys are really extremely impressive.  I'm not just blowing smoke at you either.  I don't know that I will ever be able to look at another game.  This much realism just floors me.  All I can say is thank you and wish this

company the very best.    

there was a US para unit (509th PIR) still in Italy that was not pulled for Normandy.  It eventually participated in Operation Dragoon in August 1944 and from then on there were no US airborne units in Italy.  Reading through the US army Green books, there is little discussed about the 509th in Italy after the fighting in Anzio.

Still 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion at the time. There is little mentioned about the battalion in Italy after Anzio because they were pulled out of the bridgehead April 1 and put in reserve, then retasked to be part of the airborne task force for Dragoon. The 504th PIR was also still in Italy up until the end of March before returning to England. The regiment was cut out of the Normandy invasion due to the need to reorganize after their casualties in Italy.

Edited by akd

Still 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion at the time. There is little mentioned about the battalion in Italy after Anzio because they were pulled out of the bridgehead April 1 and put in reserve, then retasked to be part of the airborne task force for Dragoon. The 504th PIR was also still in Italy up until the end of March before returning to England. The regiment was cut out of the Normandy invasion due to the need to reorganize after their casualties in Italy.

yeah duh, so used to seeing the PIR, I missed it said PIB.