Problem with the split teams function

When I split axis squads using the assault team function, the panzerfausts are allocated to the half team with the MG42, and not the half team with the MP40's.

Given that panzerfausts are short range weapons, I think it would be more logical to give the MP40 half team the panzerfausts.

The Assault Team is for light rapid-fire weapons and lots of hand grenades. It's good for clearing out buildings and doing grenade assaults. If you're hunting tanks, split off an Anti-Tank Team first, then split off your assault team if you can. Some squads won't allow splitting after a scout team, or anti-tank team is detached, but some do. It depends on the overall squad size and flexibility.

Most German squads only allow for two teams, regardless of the size. You can split a scout team off from a grenadier squad and leave the other with 2 MGs, unable to split. The only exception IIRC is German squads who have a 3rd element set aside with a Panzershreck. When you split them evenly you get two LMG teams and a Panzershreck team.

I would recommend to use the 'split team' command. It gives you equal firepower and mobility in both sub-units (given you have a standart 'two-MG42-squad').

If you use the 'Anti-tank team' command, you have one very small group with not much firepower and one with two MG42s - which is quite some overkill in my opinion.

This firepower is easy to neutralize as well - just one well placed HE tank round or a lucky mortar hit can strip you off your precious 'ammo throwers'. ;)

Best regards

Good points made by all.

Regarding a standard split, I like separating the short range automatic weapons from the long range ones, because that way you avoid the situation where one weapon is out of its comfort zone, so the Assualt Team split is standard.

Regarding the weight factor if the SMG half team had fausts, I agree that would undermine their role as a fast and manouverable unit.

Therefore, taking into account all previous comments, I would like to modify my request to one that would enable the Axis squads to split again after an AT two man team has been created, then the SMG, LMG, and fausts could all be separate.

Edited by noob

When it is possible to split a squad into three teams my SOP is the following in most cases:  

First I split off an assault team which will take most of the grenades (A-Team)  Then I split off an anti-tank team (C-Team).  This leaves the base team (B-Team) with the LMGs.  I think this type and order of split is the most useful in most situations.  If you split off the anti tank team first they will take most of the grenades.  I want my assault team to have most of the grenades since they are going to close and hose if/when necessary.  Also if the AT team is a separate two man team they can be given an armor cover arc and be better positioned/used for their anti-tank role.  If the AT team remains part of a bigger team they will likely be involved in infantry fire fights and may become casualties.  Then you get involved in attempting to buddy aid the AT weapon and rockets and probably around that time an OpFor tank comes rumbling up the road........

So at least in theory B-Team provides the base of fire, A-Team maneuvers (close & hose) & C-Team deals with any armor that might show up.              

Most German squads only allow for two teams, regardless of the size. You can split a scout team off from a grenadier squad and leave the other with 2 MGs, unable to split. The only exception IIRC is German squads who have a 3rd element set aside with a Panzershreck. When you split them evenly you get two LMG teams and a Panzershreck team.

actually not quite true.  If your unsplit squad occupies 3 columns in the UI it is 3 teams.  If only 2 then two teams etc.  Any losses incurred can affect that however.  A single guy remaining from your first team can not be split off for example.  If you simply split teams they will divide mostly as you noted above.

Edited by sburke

When I split axis squads using the assault team function, the panzerfausts are allocated to the half team with the MG42, and not the half team with the MP40's.

Given that panzerfausts are short range weapons, I think it would be more logical to give the MP40 half team the panzerfausts.

Spin off an AT team - they should take the fausts with them.

A nine man Axis squad can only be split into two parts, which means that if a two man AT team is created, one is left with a seven man team, with all the automatic weapons.

However, IMO it's more important to split the SMG's from the LMG's.

Edited by noob

Also, just to note, if you only have 4 or less men left in your squad, no matter how many teams you have (for example, 1-2-1 men in 3 teams), they cannot be split.  Worse, they will occupy the number of action squares corresponding to the number of teams, so in my parenthetical example, those 4 men will occupy 3 action squares.  Can be a pain at times.