nahverteidigungswaffe

Background:

This is a current battle (QB meeting engagement) with DellieJonut, a favorite opponent of mine in the Few Good Men club.

DJ's forces managed to immobilize one of my Panthers early in my hasty push towards the VL on his side of the map. This Panther has been a thorn in his side ever since.

Fast forward a bit, and DJ has my Panther surrounded by TWO Shermans and at least a platoon of infantry. My Panther has been popping smoke every turn. But now....it's time to engage the Naverteidgungswaffe!

Hang on! There is more next turn!

Apologies to DJ (who is likely going to win this battle). ;-)

Haha. If you're wondering what my tank is doing at 30 seconds in the video, it spots the Panther, and seeing that the Panther's gun is facing the other direction and having an incredibly easy shot into it's flank, pops smoke and backs away  :o  So many lives down the drain. I hope c3k approves  :P

Edited by delliejonut

Thanks, DJ, for posting in my Skinning Cats thread about this. Ugh, that looks like a really frustrating battle!

Does one have to do anything to activate the Nahverteidighngswaffe or does the unit just use it when appropriate? I assume that Doug didn't actually specifically target your assaulting infantry?

Edited by Bud_B

Yea, seeing one in use has been rare for me also. I understand DJ's tactics....he didn't want to try to take the Panther out at range so he used smoke to get in close with two Shermans on either side of the Panther as well as using infantry (I think my claiming it was a full platoon earlier may have been a bit exaggerated, but it was at least a full squad) to close assault the Panther.

A damn good plan except for the Naverteidgungswaffe, and the fact that one of his Shermans, who could have scored an easy kill, instead panicked and reversed. 

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out after work today.

Edit: You should have seen me last night. We were doing a turn every few minutes and my wife came in the room wondering why I was laughing evilly.

Edited by Doug Williams

Yea, seeing one in use has been rare for me also. I understand DJ's tactics....he didn't want to try to take the Panther out at range so he used smoke to get in close with two Shermans on either side of the Panther as well as using infantry (I think my claiming it was a full platoon earlier may have been a bit exaggerated, but it was at least a full squad) to close assault the Panther.

A damn good plan except for the Naverteidgungswaffe, and the fact that one of his Shermans, who could have scored an easy kill, instead panicked and reversed. 

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out after work today.

Edit: You should have seen me last night. We were doing a turn every few minutes and my wife came in the room wondering why I was laughing evilly.

Brutal. This is when people complain the game is broken. But exceptional events like this happened in the war, crazy accidents and stunning miracles are the fodder of countless WW2 bios found in books. Bad luck for DJ indeed, but incredible to watch.

Brutal. This is when people complain the game is broken. But exceptional events like this happened in the war, crazy accidents and stunning miracles are the fodder of countless WW2 bios found in books. Bad luck for DJ indeed, but incredible to watch.

Agree - half the descriptions for medals like the VC or MoH or equivalent describe things/events that should have been impossible - it's just that they didn't know that.

Hey, I'm not complaining. I've had a bit of a losing streak lately but it's against great opponents and I get a great story for every loss. Not gonna say I didn't throw a few things during those turns though LOL

The screenshot alone was worth it. That Panther is just surrounding by death of his own making.

I knocked out that halftrack and the Doug positioned the Panther behind it. I knew he was there but my tanks couldn't get eyes on so I just area fired. The shots penetrated THROUGH the halftrack and hit the tank 4 or 5 times, immobilizing him. The whole time the Panther is just firing on every infantry it could see. I laid down smoke and moved up in stages till I was right on top of him with a whole platoon of infantry and 2 75mm tanks, one of which only had 3 crew members that had panicked and run around the map disembarked for the last 5 turns. The entire time I'm hoping my platoon on the other side of the map can just hold on until I take out this tank and move my armor to support them. My three man tank crew said no thank you and backed away, and then that damn nahverteidigungswaffe ruined my day.

Wouldn't trade it for anything :D

Edited by delliejonut

Looks like DJ got bitten by the "Tank targeting at close range takes much longer" feature meant to prevent tanks from mowing down close assaulting infantry.

That was certainly one epic staredown! I can almost hear the armrest pounding screaming frustration "just shoot him [bleeping bleep!]".

I like the technique! If the game had lasted a little longer, you know that the secondary explosions from the Shermans would've knocked out that Panther. It shows a highly developed tactical acumen to see that possibility and maneuver the Shermans close enough so it can work. A lot of folks would've tried to do that, but then ruined it by allowing their Shermans to actually SHOOT at the Panther. I laugh at their newbness.

DJ gets the award for low-level use of high-level tactical strategery.

Oh, and it's properly spelled "narwhalegangwaffe".  ;)

Followed shortly thereafter, it would be discovered by allied intelligence that Said Panther was the only operational Panther in the entire company(the rest being under repair for broken final drives), and American armor would surge over Nazi positions and capture the remaining Panthers and use them for the Isigny tests.  :D

Edited by shift8

What is that mod you're using that shows the armor thickness(?) of the tank? 

Looks like Marco's UI - he has various options you can install - colour-coded, numbers etc.

I find his compass mod ( in the same "pack" ) very useful too.