How do you guys manage multiple units at once, without turning around and finding half your units are dead?

Well if they're so limited in resources that they don't have the time to code a follow command, where did they find the time and money to develop all the new 3D models, research the realistic characteristics, design new missions and campaigns, and develop a storyline for Black Sea?

Because none of the things in bold require engine coding effort. There are exactly two personnel to work on the engine itself. Others do the modelling, the OOB/tech research and mission/narrative design.

Off the top of my head, major changes that have been done that require Brain in Jar (and PhilC) time include: revising the entire way the graphics textures are rendered; adding the capacity for tank riders; adding the capacity for flame weapons; additions to the UI capabilities; changes to the way support assets are handled; adding the ability to progressively (and, it is anticipated, indefinitely) upgrade the engine so you never have to play without the new features, even in old games; update the way the game is installed.

There are probably a dozen other large changes and innumerable small ones, but the most significant is the continuous upgradeability of the engine for its life. Any other company would be either charging a monthly subscription or would have ended the development of the BN and FI core engines by now. Am I saying it's optimal? No. Does Steve think they'd do it the same way, given the benefit of hindsight? No. Take Hearts of Iron: the three iterations of that game have all been sold anew with a fourth on the way. The three expansions for HOI3 didn't add as much as any of the expansions for CMx2 families, but were charged nevertheless.

... that's just bringing us to the level we had in CMx1.  What else is there?

That's like saying the introduction of the rule in chess that allows a pawn to convert to a queen when it reaches the 8th rank of squares brought the game up to the level of checkers.

Not the same game. Not a single line of common code. Not relevant.

The fact that this roster concept was brought up and heavily discussed over 3 years ago only solidifies my fear that not a damn thing in the Combat Mission series is ever going to change. 

That is simply venting.  It is blatantly wrong, even ridiculously so.  It is totally human to be frustrated, but venting like that will immediately get you a reaction on these boards.

Yep - aka a hissy fit.

Actually for the most part, most of the reactions I am getting have been quite positive and supportive, and I feel we've been having a really productive discussion here, don't you?  I think one person was highly offended by my criticisms.

I suspect you are referring to me - don't flatter your self :)  I don't really care enough about your hissy fit to be offended.  I just think you are flat out wrong and off base.  And no your contributions have not created a productive discussion.  We have had lots of productive discussions on the subject of managing units in this game and this is not one of them.  The thread that was linked earlier contained a productive discussion.

And yet, there is plenty of evidence to show that it happens.  My point is that the fact that a company hasn't disappeared after 10 years isn't necessarily an indicator of a healthy business strategy.

This is just an odd statement.  You might not like the games a company produces, you might not like the quality a company produces but a company that has been around for 10 years must be doing something right even if that something is something you don't like. 

Guys I think it is time to stop feeding this guy.  I don't think we can really call him a troll because he has not been insulting but this stuff is so far out in left field what is the point? 

Yeah that is the best solution I've come up with, is hanging the camera in a position that keeps all my units in view.  Of course there are instances when you really need to zoom in on something to target or navigate it properly.

Yeah, other than a decent micro/macro rhythmn, there isn't much else. CMx2 isn't exactly blazing the trail for UI so you just have to get used to fighting the interface to get things done.

moeburn,

I gave you my philosophical answer, but now it's time for the brutal truth. I don't manage large forces well. I specified a Small QB--and got a MT-LBM Battalion with some T-90s, a BMP-3, an FO vehicle, etc. ! My combat results so far are neatly summed up this way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wzcd12e7siyfyuh/Screenshot%202015-06-06%2001.16.23.png?dl=0

Bonus pic  Ultimate gamey edge hugger (trees off). This thing killed at least a MR platoon and F-Killed a tank before I finally located and killed it. BTR-82s are nasty!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5ptkm62i75z56a/Screenshot%202015-06-06%2000.54.36.png?dl=0

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Anyone know a way to make screenshot thumbs big enough to see in DB?

Edited by John Kettler