Windows 10 and CMx2

You cant install the upgrade yet, afaik your can only reserve a copy. Release is planned for August IIRC, but if you want to check out the new Windows, you can download a free trial version here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

If you want to do a service to the CM community, DL Windows 10, install CM and tell us how it runs :).

In general you should expect software that was released when XP or an earlier Windows was the latest Windows version to be incompatible with Wndows 10 and software that was released when 7 & 8 were the latest Windows versions to work well with Win 10. Of course there might be exceptions or patches to get old software to work under Win 10, but IIRC that' s what i heard at a Microsoft presentation of Windows 10 i attended 2 weeks ago.

Edited by agusto

If you want to do a service to the CM community, DL Windows 10, install CM and tell us how it runs :)

I sincerely hope that someone at BFC does this and tests all CM*2 games for Windows 10. It will be especially important since it will be a free update that will make people more inclined to upgrade. And if you hate Win 8 (like I do), Win 10 will be more than welcome. But only if CM works, that is.

But anyone outside BFC who want to take it for a spin, please do report to the rest of the community.

If you perform an 'in-place upgrade' from Windows 7 or 8/8.1 to Windows 10, then you MIGHT run into some issues. The copy-protection system may detect that the OS is not the same as when it was activated and give you an error ('Error: errorcode' or something to that effect) when you attempt to start the game (with the game not launching). This may not happen for everyone, but it is a very likely scenario for many of us. If that DOES happen, then you will need to contact the Helpdesk and request the 'gsClean' utility for your game/modules. Before doing so, you will want to try out EVERY ONE OF YOUR BATTLEFRONT GAMES to check to see if any of them have the error from the copy-protection system. I'd suggest rebooting your machine a few times and with each reboot attempt to launch all of your games (one at a time, of course) to see if they launch properly or give errors.

Each game and its modules will have a different version of gsClean for it, so you will want to be specific with your request to the Helpdesk for the gsClean utilities.

For eLicense protected games (CMSF, CMA, etc.) you will want to UNLICENSE the game(s) and all of its modules BEFORE upgrading to Windows 10. Try to play the games to make sure that they have been unlicensed; you should get a dialog box requesting to activate the game/module if you've been succesful. Once you have fully finished the upgrade then you should be able to activate the game/modules. However if you plan on installing any newer drivers or making other changes to your computer you may want to hold off activation until you are done with these changes. Any game that did NOT need the gsClean utility may need it if you make significant changes.

Beyond this I'm not expecting any incompatibilities directly with Windows 10 itself. However new driver releases for Windows 10 (or simply the ones included with Windows 10) have the potential to cause problems.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Quoting Steve from a related thread:

Schrully is, of course, totally correct. Not that I expected any thing other than that  ;)

We have had a few customers run into problems with Windows 10 so far. However, in each case the next beta release fixed the problem. Which is to say, so far, any compatibility issues with Windows 10 have been due to development hiccups with Windows and not with our games. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what the final state of Windows 10 will be.

Steve