Why do I need LOS to an area which I want helos to scout?

So why does anybody need LOS? Calling in fire missions and air attack runs only requires coordinates. I can tell coordinates by a map without having LOS.

Because Helos have eyes on what they're shooting at, so can, theoretically, abort mission if targets other than hostiles are at risk. Less true with lobbed bombs and entirely not true with artillery. Sure, it's not a perfect representation of the realities of fire control, and how they vary even within the game environment, but it's enough reason to  have some restrictions.

So why does anybody need LOS? Calling in fire missions and air attack runs only requires coordinates. I can tell coordinates by a map without having LOS.

It's still rarely done unobserved.  You have a finite number of shells, even if you think the enemy is somewhere around grid 38S AB 12345678 or whatever, the rounds could still be off, or that gridpoint could very well be in the right area, but just outside the kill radius of what you're trying to explode.

Rotary aviation is different because it's low and slow enough, with some sensors that'll let it go to an area and poke around, possibly find targets (your mileage varies on the helicopter type).  But artillery needs someone to see where the rounds are going to verify they're doing a thing, and fast movers are generally coming in fast enough they really need to know broadly where they're aiming and what they're aiming at.

Re: TRPs

Look in the same category that trenches and barbed wire lives in on the unit purchase menu for Quick Battle.  There's an item called TRPs which stands for "Target Reference Point."  They're a little red circle with an x on it when you place them on the map.  They represent places the artillery guys have already crunched the numbers for.  What they do is allow you to call in an artillery strike quite quickly with a high degree of accuracy within a fairly small radius wherever you've placed the TRP during the setup phase.  They're really useful if you place them places that the enemy will almost certainly occupy, or have to pass through so you can bring the hurt down once you've got a few of the ? type target markers vs a solid contact.

I did both, but I didn't memorize them.

Also as I said above, there is no TRP buying in my campaign so far.

My thread wasn't meant to investigate the rules but to question them.

Have a nice day.

You can't purchase units in campaigns or "battles" only in quick battles, so what you see is what you get in the Russian campaign and I believe there are a few missions with TRP's.

You can't purchase units in campaigns or "battles" only in quick battles, so what you see is what you get in the Russian campaign and I believe there are a few missions with TRP's.

yeah I know but the guy writing post #7 didn't consider me playing the campaign obviously.

Because Helos have eyes on what they're shooting at, so can, theoretically, abort mission if targets other than hostiles are at risk. Less true with lobbed bombs and entirely not true with artillery. Sure, it's not a perfect representation of the realities of fire control, and how they vary even within the game environment, but it's enough reason to  have some restrictions.

This.  While fast-moving jets might attack coordinates in a strike far from friendly units, there is simply no way that they would be allowed to attack targets near friendly lines without a spotter on the ground clearing them for the strike.

Rongar, welcome aboard! You will learn and adapt, if you stick with it, and trust me, CM is worth it. :-)

CM isn't like any other game you have ever played, and this forum is unique.

Worst thing you can do on this forum is get defensive. You will be dropped into the shark tank if you go down that road.

Link please, I'll do that

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119396-the-peng-challenge-thread-some-one-get-me-a-drink-and-tell-me-whats-going-on-eh/page-7

The Peng Challenge is an old battleront.com forum tradition. You poke fun at other forum members until one of them gets enraged and challenges you to a Combat Mission PBEM multiplayer game. You must accept the challenge then, otherwise you will dishonour yourself, lose your face forever and be thrown in a real shark tank. Yes, Battlefront has a real shark tank for people who decline PBEM challenges in the Peng Challenge Thread.