Recon question pls.

Howday folks, hope your all having a good weekend!

Iam new to CM so please forgive me if this has been brought up before. Trying to get used to the forum and where everything is. I dont know where I red this in the forum but someone did mention this somewhere. I thought I red this in "tips and tricks" but not so.

As I understand it, and I might be wrong, you can only give one comand for each waypoint besides the pause comand but to the real question and I might be wrong...

Somone said or I might be dreaming, that it´s a good idea to set a short target arc to your recon units in order to NOT have them fire back if they spot a enemy unit thus giving away there position and getting them killed. Taking into account that there not spoted first!

So, let´s say I give my recon unit a move order into the woods in order to do there job, "recon", but I don´t want them to be spotted. Can you move and set a short target arc at the same time?

Care,

Red...out

Every waypoint can have a Target-type command. The last command carries on until replaced by another. 

Waypoint 1: FACE East

Waypoint 2: Covered Arc, 360^, 100m

Waypoint 3: Target Briefly

Waypoint 4: Hide, Covered Arc 50m

Additionally, you can PAUSE at each waypoint. So, Waypoint 3's Target Briefly is a 15 second order. I would give a 15 second pause at waypoint 3.

Two techniques to "erase" target-type (combat) commands:

1: override it with a FACE at the last waypoint

2: wait until the next turn and give the unit a "Clear Target" command

There's lots of good info in the forums. Search, but don't be afraid to ask.

Ken

And when it comes to arcs, I don't think it's mentioned in the manual that if you hold the SHIFT key the arc becomes a full circle, allowing you to set not a narrow arc but rather an overall limit to how close in your unit will engage enemies. I find this handy for small isolated units (like recon teams) that may by the one tends use them end up with enemies not just to the front but the flanks as well.

Also, a Target Arc command  (of less than 180degrees) will set the "orientation" of the unit, the same as a Face would, so can be used to make sure an infantry element is anticipating contact from the right (assuming you're correct in your assessment :) ) direction.

Beware of setting narrow Target Arcs, just to achieve an orientation, though, since it's easy to have the enemy pop up outside the area in which your element would return fire...

Generally, though, yes, setting a TA for your scouts (probably circular) is a good idea if you don't want them to engage the first thing they see, and give away their position.

Excellent!!! Your advice and game mechanics makes CM much better then I though! This opens up for me alot of  tactical ideas to try. This is such a great game  :)

Thank you all for your kind help and advice! Hope to be prophiciant with CM as I can in the future! Really enjoying every minute I play and your help just makes it better, thank you!

As a side note. Yesterday I watched the movie "Fury" (Brad Pitt). The first battle they incounter they used the "smoke the enemy tank" with a smoke charge tactic which I belive you can use in CM too, so you learn something new everyday! A bit disappointed with the movie though, just two battles throughout the whole movie  :( , but the gear used in it was worth watching it, and that smoke tactic!

May you all have a great week, and once again, thanks a bunch!

Good care,

Red

Edited by red2112

Somone said or I might be dreaming, that it´s a good idea to set a short target arc to your recon units in order to NOT have them fire back if they spot a enemy unit thus giving away there position and getting them killed. Taking into account that there not spoted first!

My theory on recon or scouts, is different. Private David Webster of E Co. 506 once wrote that it's the scout's job to draw fire so that other units can find the enemy and eliminate them. A scout isn't likely to see much if he himself is sneaking around and isn't spotted by the enemy. You might get lucky from time to time and actually spot an enemy unit but it's not going to yield a lot of results.

There are times when I don't want my scouts to fire and will give them a covered arc but mostly I want them to defend themselves if needed. I also like to keep them alive which is why I almost always use the Hunt command with them. They will stop and drop when they do see an enemy, usually preserving their lives to be used for future scouting missions.

Edited by Pak40