Looking for book about battles in Oosterbeek

If you just want to deal with Oosterbeek then Middlebrook is probably the best choice. However the reason I went with those three was for the blend of information.

Middlebrook covers the British perspective, Kershaw the German , and the Then and Now book provides detail and loads of photos and maps. The latter two books to however cover the wider operation while Middlebrook only deals with the British and Polish forces in the Arnhem area.

P

If you just want to deal with Oosterbeek then Middlebrook is probably the best choice. However the reason I went with those three was for the blend of information.

Middlebrook covers the British perspective, Kershaw the German , and the Then and Now book provides detail and loads of photos and maps. The latter two books to however cover the wider operation while Middlebrook only deals with the British and Polish forces in the Arnhem area.

P

I have both the Middlebrook and the Kershaw books, and as Pete says, they combine to give a very good view of the battle.

"The Cauldron" by Zeno is a novel about Oosterbeek not a history, but it was written by someone who was an NCO with 21 Ind Para Coy at Arnhem and Oosterbeek. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Cauldron-Zeno/dp/0330020897

He used a pseudonym because he had been convicted after the war for the murder of his wife's lover. His real name was Gerald Lamarque, but he signed up as Kenneth  Allerton and was known within the unit as 'Val'. If anyone has the After the Battle book, there's evidently a picture of Staff Sgt Allerton it.

http://www.market-garden.info/html-books/the-cauldron.html

It's been 20 years plus since I read it, but it's worth a look if you can find it. It goes from the pre-drop preparations, through the company's landing to set up the Eureka beacons ahead of the main drop, through the defence of the Oosterbeek perimeter and then the withdrawal across the Lower Rijn.  

Kampfraum Arnheim by Remy Spezzano has some great photos from Oosterbeek from the German side. Its not only about Oosterbeek but rather it follows a few german war correspondants all over the Market Garden area. 

That one looked interesting as well, unfortunately really expensive :(

For a great book about the breakthrough battles "Autumn Gale" has been VERY good. http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Schwere-Panzerjager-abteilung-Kampfgruppe-Recovery/dp/9080039381

OOP for now, and a bit expensive, but I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It covers the German defenses to the "Market" aspect of the operation in incredible detail. Period photos, great maps, "now and then" comparisons, detailed battle analyses, etc.

Ken