unbuttoned tanks and AFVs

I believe that I have a pretty good handle on the rewards and consequences of unbuttoning tanks and AFVs in the WW2 CM games.

How much advantage does unbuttoning a tank/afv have in CMBS? In the WW2 games, unbuttoning a tank makes a big difference in it's spotting ability. I'm not so sure that it would make nearly as much difference in CMBS. Up until now, I've mostly been playing with my tanks and afvs buttoned up in CMBS.

Anyone care to come forward with any observations or advice?

Doug Williams,

Classically (Cold War early-mid '80s) the US Army's official view was that a buttoned tank was only 50% as combat effective as an unbuttoned one, but I suspect that, depending on range and other conditions, has changed, at least for the US. And I expect the driver in this notion of mine will be the CITV. The CITV provides undreamt of capabilities compared to then, such as being able to see through smoke and fog, utterly eclipsing a TC scanning the battlefield with eyeballs and his Steiner binos. panzersaurkrautwerfer, can the CITV used by the TC while unbuttoned, or are the controls and display configured such that this can't be done? In my latest, yet to be reported QB, my Abrams platoon, left as is by me, always fought buttoned, as was true in my first QB and in my toe dipping exercise before that. For sure, it frustrated my sniper in the latest QB, for there wasn't a TC head in sight!

Regards,

John Kettler

I always use the vehicle in buttom down configuration even in the other iteration. The problems i have with having the tc out even in the older iteration of the gane is that they seems to react always to late and end up dying from fire. By that i sometime see a panther or sherman , etc... tc receiving burst who come close during sometime more than 30 sec or just dying before and just not taking cover inside the tank. Also, in cmbs, i dont know wich tank/ifv that would be better to unbottom the tc.

Some vehicles do not get benefit from their primary thermal sensor if buttoned:

M1152 Recon Humvee

M1167 ATGM Humvee

M1127 Stryker RV

M1131 Stryker FSV

M1200 Armored Knight

Thanks akd.  That was good info I didn't know.  I think you had a typo on the first one M1151 Recon Humvee.  But I knew what you meant.   :)