Truck Drivers, or

There Can Be Only One

Was playing the first mission from A Moment in Time the other day. I decided to advance up the left flank to the bridge, and left my trucks behind some buildings in cover. However, I dismounted my drivers to man the MG's on my halftracks.

Some ways into the battle I noticed that my trucks were being knocked out one by one. It took me several turns to realize the trucks were being knocked out whenever its respective driver was killed. 

I'm not necessarily complaining... truck driving is an art few are equipped for lol. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, is it a bug or intentional, yada yada. I could understand the reasoning for it... but then again it's thousands of rounds of ammo gone just like that.

The driver must have the keys. But seriously I think it would be nice if one was able to acquire some if not most of the ammo from a non-burning knocked out vehicle. Likewise I think it would be desirable to somehow be able to do buddy aid to casualties inside a vehicle.

The driver must have the keys. But seriously I think it would be nice if one was able to acquire some if not most of the ammo from a non-burning knocked out vehicle. Likewise I think it would be desirable to somehow be able to do buddy aid to casualties inside a vehicle.

Interesting and valid points both. It should be noted my vehicles took no damage of any kind though, and are open-backed. 

Teamsters Union strikes again!

Haha! I guess the trucks are remaining locked until the drivers receive full workers comp... unfortunately the ensuing court battle is out of the scope of a tactical simulation.

I just tried this.  I was not able to reproduce it.  What I did was put the two trucks and half tracks in a safe place and dismounted every one - passengers too.  I put one squad back in one truck just to see if there was a difference between an empty truck and a full one.  Then I put the crews up front and ran them to take the objectives.  All dead within two minutes.  All transport were find.

I am running the newest version 3.11 of CMBN

I'll see if I can recreate it or I might still have a save file for you guys to look at. 

I just tried this.  I was not able to reproduce it.  What I did was put the two trucks and half tracks in a safe place and dismounted every one - passengers too.  I put one squad back in one truck just to see if there was a difference between an empty truck and a full one.  Then I put the crews up front and ran them to take the objectives.  All dead within two minutes.  All transport were find.

I am running the newest version 3.11 of CMBN

The only thing I did differently was allowing the truck drivers to man the halftrack mgs.

That was my experience, too, Ian.

@ delliejonut, are you certain it wasn't just coincidental/observation bias? We're the trucks actually knocked out with appropriate destroyed icon, or just that they wouldn't take movement orders but otherwise had no damage?

That's entirely possible, but IIRC, I closely watched a turn in which my truck had been destroyed. I drew the connection between the driver and the truck itself when the driver bought it, then 5 or 10 seconds later the truck became knocked out. To clarify, the trucks were actually knocked out with a red X and everything, but appeared to have taken no damage. 

Given that, as I read it, Ian's test had the drivers "Banzai" into streams of lead poisoning afoot, and dellie's file has them dying at the spade handles of Ma deuce and her little brother, perhaps it's the crew dying while operating a vehicle that is causing the distant destruction.

Given that, as I read it, Ian's test had the drivers "Banzai" into streams of lead poisoning afoot, and dellie's file has them dying at the spade handles of Ma deuce and her little brother, perhaps it's the crew dying while operating a vehicle that is causing the distant destruction.

That's my assumption. Another test could be switching drivers to different trucks, and seeing if the original trucks still bite the dust. I'll try that now and report my results.

It appears that if you try to mount a driver into a truck that isn't his, he'll just hop in the back like normal infantry. Drivers can only drive their own trucks.

Oh, that applies to drivers too? Oh well... I thought and hadn't ever bothered to test, that drivers from the same platoon could get into any of the trucks in their platoon and drive them... I don't think it was always this way, and I get that restrictions were applied to stop people dismounting the driver, and having a generic grunt of a larger unit do the driving, and can even see where the logic is coming from even if it's not quite what you might expect (any mook can drive a jeep)...