CMPzC Operation "Bloody Christmas" (Ortona '43)

Axis Turn 30

We can now figure out a more precise intent of the German forces.

The 5 PZIV seen on the down slope of the ridge while moving toward our line have stooped their movement and 3 of them have reversed on the hill crest to adopt an overwatch position.  The 4th one is doing the same slightly forward . The 5th one have not been seen since few turns. I believe that it might be down in the valley draw scouting and or waiting.

The PZ III the 3 with a 50mm gun and the 4th with a short 75mm are not seen by our observers but they should be on their down the trail leading to a valley draw. The trail is on the right of Saskatoon, but it can not be seen easily.

An Hanomag with a Pz Gr squad has just been seen near the house where the trail moves down, starting to move down the trail

So, I think that the tanks are waiting for them.

Looking at the replay I was surprised to be unable to locate the only Sherman left. It had vanished. Well, not exactly, I had reversed it into an exit zone, inadvertently as well as a lorry from which troops had taken ammo earlier.

The fact that the Sherman which had no more fighting fire power besides an MG is not in itself bad news. The rear elements tank fitters will be able to give it a new life . At least I think that Koh might do it ?

Anyway that will be a tank that the Jerries won't destroy.

I think that this Sherman contributed to the fact that the German tanks attack did not move farther. The damages it got were not received for nothing in exchange.

Some readjustments are being done along the line and scouting team are moving to better positions to be able to spot the coming attack in time.

You will find some pictures taken from the German positions toward our lines. The draw is well seen down slope.

Close mortar burst, near the right most  Pz IV overwatching our lines

30-Mortar%20burst_zpsdxfh58ju.jpg

Field view from the most forward Pz IV on the ridge

30-Pz%20IV%20being%20forward_zpsqjtuxmws

3 Pz IV overwatch position on the ridge

30-%20Pz%20IV%20overwatch_zpsnfpqo7eu.jp

Pz Grenadiers's Hanomag moving down the draw to rejoin the Pz IIIs

30-hanomag%20moving%20down_zpsl33fzmq2.j

2'' mortar already ordered to smoke the area with wind drift taken in account. I am worried about the overwatching Pz IVs. I think I will have to smoke them. The bad thing is that I won't see for a while where they go ! They still think that my Sherman tank is somewhere and they are looking for it. It might be better to let them feel that way  and have them stay where they are. Better have a piecemeal attack that all of them together ?

Appropriately, today is the Regimental Birthday for the Royal Canadian Regiment. It was also on this day, in 1943, that the Regiment was holed up at Cider Crossroads. The initial assault on Ortona from the crossroads went horribly wrong, and the Regiment, already bled, lost significant casualties. It was here, among the few surviving officers, that the legendary "Ortona Toast" was born.  Major Strome Galloway (B Coy Comd,  who would survive the war and go on to write several books) was one of those officers. The toast consisted of rum, water and sugar, and was drunk out of plain white mugs (this tradition is still done within the Regiment today). They toasted the birthday of the Regiment on a most bloody day for the Regiment.

Pro Patria

Hi ChappyCanuck,

I don't know if that as something to do with the toast, but 4 Pz III have reached the main road and are deploying with some Infantry !

I think I need it. I have the rhum, the sugar and plenty of water, but I can't get my hand on a white mug. tradition being tradition, I have put aside my black mug and I shall ask, tomorrow, my wife to find one at the store.

Cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am still having huge Internet link problem. These are worst than the actual German attack ongoing and being fought by Stonecutter to whom I gave command, being more or less out of communication. I am able from time to time to keep in touch with him and follow the attack. We were just discussing about my return to Command during a lull, having good comms, when it started all again. So, first  I shall fight the provider starting on Monday and  second try to resume my Command as soon as I can.

I also wanted to share some pictures I had taken earlier with you and post a situation report, but it will have to wait just a few days. At least I hope so.

Meanwhile the Germans are crawling forward slowly at a snail pace. That goes well with me and as a matter of fact I like very much to eat snails "petit gris" (small grey) are the best, even better than the big "Bourgogne". Shall we eat the Germans snails soon that is the question ? 

Here after you will see the last pictures that the Military Intelligence board allowed us to release for your eyes only  !

As can be seen the enemy did not try to move forward its units fearing to fall into a trap, since our last release. They are not wrong since we have the sides of a 90 degree angle covered by some ATGs. That is a perfect ambush. At least when you read it in a tactical book. In practise it is somehow different. However we can fire at the tanks frontally and on their sides depending on their attack axis. The enemy commander, must have felt that we were doing just that.

He cleverly had some of its tanks and a SPW mounting a short 75mm gun, moving behind the cover of a tree line toward Saskatoon. Another tank stayed at the deployment area on the road overwatching Saskatoon and two SPWs are right now moving toward our right front, trying to envelop our right ATG position.

Our scheme brought at least three results up to now. The first one, is that the enemy is over cautious and is moving piecemeal forces and rather slowly. The second is that we have been able to destroy its leading Pz III 5Omm tank. The third is that after its lost, its friends are backing up and removing some pressure on Saskatoon. We can now feel a bit more confident while awaiting reinforcements.

Tanks and SPW deployed abreast facing Saskatoon

deployment%20area_zpsictpnnte.jpg

Axis movements and  PSW 233 with its 75mm short gun overwatching the valley

Attack%20axis_zpsv4ghishs.jpg

Pz III 50 mm destroyed near Saskatoon

Saskatoon_zpszbqsvb1z.jpg

The front line at the end of turn 83

front%20line%20turn%2083_zpsengllpoj.jpg

Well gents, I have to relinquish my Command at a time which is not the best, but being away my laptop can not open the ema file. Whatever I do, lowering the setting in the options is done to no avail. Too bad, but Stonecutter immediately accepted to carry on the fight on my behalf. I am confident, not to say sure that he will stop that German counter attack and go on to victory. I have now some good reasons to plan my 2007 laptop change in the months to come.  it did fare well all these past years, but CM is now too much for it and i have to admit it even if I have difficulties doing it.

Cheer

Hey Frank I just got caught up on the last 4 turns...good job smoking a MkIV and I see the Kittyhawk finally arrived and made a new well :)  He appears to have withdrawn in a defensive stance, placing a ring around D Coy.  Your mortars are giving him no rest. I am looking forward to the one hour mark......

Still unable to open the files,I am waiting for your AAR Stonecutter to see how the battle was fought after I had to relinquish my Command. I think that as usual we are about to have a very well written AAR that will put us right where the actions were.

Cheer

Great show snake_eye and Stonecutter!

Curious of why Jerry is only  attacking the Allied positions with his weakest tanks (PzIII's & short barreled PzIV)?

I think that the enemy felt that the long barreled Pz IV gun gave him an advantage engaging opportunity target from an overwatch position from the far hill crest. However some mortaring earlier made him cautious and he did not use that to the full extent and even moved back to what seemed safer positions to him.

Following the hard fought victory at San Leonardo, the newly minted Captain Minna had been assigned to Delta Coy, RCR as they pushed forward in pursuit of the retreating German forces. The mud, mined roads and miserable weather made it nearly impossible to fully exploit the gains of the previous day. With their typical efficiency, the mixed force of panzer grenadiers and fallschirmjagers  had blown craters in the road, created obstacles and done everything possible to make life difficult for the Canadians. Notwithstanding these challenges, Delta Coy had advanced to the top of the river valley and now looked out over gently rolling terrain leading to the Cider Crossroads. Scanning the area with his binoculars, Minna made careful note of potential enemy routes of advance and began mentally planning potential fire missions. He watched the rather haphazard arrival of the battalion anti-tank platoon and their six pounders while Delta spread out over several areas and started digging in. The squawk of the radio grabbed his attention as the Delta company commander summoned him to orders at his new location. Minna looked nervously at the house where the Major had established his HQ. Located at the top of the rise near several buildings, he instinctively knew it would be a reference point for his enemy counterparts to shell. As he approached the area, he felt his insides tighten when he spotted the distinctive shell holes of what he strongly suspected were ranging rounds.  

Less than half an hour later, Minna and his remaining observer team members made their way to a rather non-descript clump of trees several hundred meters north of Delta Coy HQ. The speed of the German counter attack had come as a surprise as it caught several of the ATGs in the process of deploying with predictably fatal results for the gun crews. The two Shermans had been quickly picked off by the superior gun and optics of the Mk IVs from a range of over one mile. A cautious advance of infantry and armour had been supported by German artillery, the latter of which carefully targeted the surviving anti-tank guns. Minna's instincts had been confirmed when a corps level mission of heavy guns had nearly taking out himself and the rest of Delta HQ - he had barely managed to make his escape when the shells started falling. Grabbing a section of Delta company survivors as close protection, he had pushed forward to where he could better observe and aid in the battle. While German armour and machine guns were superior to those possessed by the soldiers in the RCR battle group,  Minna was keenly aware that those same soldiers were looking to him to exploit the allied advantage in artillery and air power to make up for these deficiencies.

Spotting several panzers and a couple half tracks assembling along the road to Casa Berardi, he plotted the grid on his map while his radio operator tuned the radio to the air frequency. For once, Minna was pleasantly surprised that the radio worked and quickly tapped into the close air support network.

"Kitty lead this is Golf Two Zero, target, over"

"Golf Two Zero, this is Kitty Seven in the rank, send target over."

"Kitty Seven this is Golf Two Zero Target. Golf November Three-Four-Six   Eight-Fife-Four. Panzers in woods along road, 700 yards north-east of Stirlin Castle. Destroy, over"

"Kitty Seven, roger, rolling in"

Minna watched as the Kittyhawk flew by at well over 4000 feet in altitude, a distance from which he would be unlikely able to spot an entire village let alone a group of panzers. Cursing to himself and at the pilot, he figured there was little hope of help this time. Most pilots were unenthusiastic about ground attack missions as they were far more dangerous and less glamorous than air-to-air combat but with the complete absence of the Luftwaffe, they were the only reason for air power in this battle.  

"Golf Two Zero, this is Kitty Seven, no target observed, heading to stables."

Shaking his fist in frustration, Minna continued to watch as several German vehicles closed in on Stirlin Castle, threatening the small group of RCR scouts occupying the area. Despite the complete failure of the last mission, Minna observed that the Germans were moving more tentatively with the knowledge that Allied fighter bombers were nearby and ready to strike. Activating the radio, he toggled the switch.

"Kitty lead, this is Golf Two Zero, target over."

"Golf Two Zero, this is Kitty Niner in the rank, send target over"

Pulling the pin on a smoke grenade, Minna tossed it ahead and let it billow for half a minute before continuing.

"Kitty Niner this is Golf Two Zero Target. Golf November Three-Four-Four   Eight-Four-Seven. Panzer and half track in open, 700 yards north east of purple smoke, 200 yards west of Stirlin Castle, destroy over."

"Kitty Niner, I have the smoke, rolling in - Tally Ho."

"Kitty Niner, bombs away, rolling out, explosion seen."

Minna watched the dark object fall from the Kittyhawk to land just beside the halftrack with a massive blast that rocked the vehicle.

"Kitty Niner, rolling in, going with guns."

At tree top level, the Kittyhawk screamed over the battlefield and unleashed a hail of 0.50 slugs into a previously disabled panzer but caught a number of stunned panzer grenadiers that were still recovering from the initial bomb attack.

"Kitty Niner, heading to stables."

Minna knew that the purple smoke was a clear indication of his presence and that the Germans would soon react. Far more quickly than he would have liked, he heard the sounds of an approaching MkIV and then spotted it along with a number of grenadiers jogging along heading in his direction. Waving to Sergeant Picard, the commander of one of the six pounders dug in several hundred yards south of him and his men, Minna pointed to where the panzer was coming from and observed the thumbs up from Picard through his binoculars.

As the panzer crested the rise, one of the new crews just west of Picard opened up and missed high in their haste, having obviously forgotten to adjust their sights to short range. The MkIV responded almost immediately, destroying the gun in a single shot. The sound of the tank engine drew ever closer and Minna and his men began to engage the accompanying grenadiers. Just as the panzer spotted them and was traversing its turret, the bark of a six pounder interrupted the movement and hammered the side of the tank with devastating impact resulting in an almost instantaneous detonation. The flame, shrapnel and blast ripped into the grenadiers and they quickly retreated away from the flaming wreck. The destruction of the half track and willingness of the allied pilots to strafe at low level was forcing the Germans to slow their advance even further.  Minna's mind raced as he thought how to exploit this gift of time. Spotting a collection of enemy vehicles in the same area where Kitty Seven had failed miserably, Minna again radioed the waiting fighters and prayed that he could help stave off the German advance until more reinforcements arrived.

KIttyhawk%20bomb.jpg

A 500 pound bomb from the Kittyhawk drops almost on top of the German halftrack.

Kittyhawk%20bomb%20blast.jpg

The ensuing blast destroys the half track and stuns nearby grenadiers who are soon cut down by the multiple 0.50 from the Kittyhawks carpeting the area.

MkIV%20hunting.jpg

The tell tale purple smoke draws the attention of a short barrel MkIV and accompanying grenadiers. Minna can see the panzer heading directly at him and hopes that Sergeant Picard is ready to engage before it arrives.

Picard%20hitting.jpg

The new crew takes cover after its gun is destroyed while Picard makes no mistake and his first shot penetrates the right turret of the MkIV.  

MkIV%20brew%20up.jpg

The steel penetrator immediately causes a cook off of ammunition and fuel inside the panzer, immolating the crew. The shock of the blast wounds some nearby grenadiers and the remainder beat a hasty retreat.