Russian Recon scout teams

Bemused

I had that happen earlier today myself. I had a US squad that I detached a scout team from and both were armed with M4's. One of the scouts got hit, and I recombined the squad. Later I detached another scout team from the same squad but this time one of the scouts was carrying a SAW. I thought that was odd at the time but I really didn't give it another thought. I wonder if it has something to do with the rank of the soldiers being kicked out as scouts more so than what weapon they have?

Edited by apd1004

When the unsplit squad is small you sometimes don't have enough good scout candidates to choose from. In the case of the Russian recon squad there are six men, but only one of them is ideal for the job. You have 4 guys armed with AKs. Two of them are the squad leader and the assistant squad leader, and a third is the radio operator. So you have one AK guy as your first scout then take your pick between the SVD and the PKP.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

I had that happen earlier today myself. I had a US squad that I detached a scout team from and both were armed with M4's. One of the scouts got hit, and I recombined the squad. Later I detached another scout team from the same squad but this time one of the scouts was carrying a SAW. I thought that was odd at the time but I really didn't give it another thought. I wonder if it has something to do with the rank of the soldiers being kicked out as scouts more so than what weapon they have?

Rank in the game is purely cosmetic. Who gets assigned as a scout is exactly as Vanir has described it, and it's why, for example, you'll see the RPK-74 gunner in UKR squads assigned to scout duty.

Also keep in mind that dedicated recon units are the closest thing to special forces currently in the game so they are a poor source of expendables. My advice is that these small specialized teams are better utilized split into two 3-man teams, and that you should look elsewhere for "red shirts".

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

RPG-26 seems to be godawful in general. Along with the very underwhelming thermobarics (RPO with a LOS should be gameover for whatever unit is on the receiving end, easily levelling a small house in one shot).

Or the American 40mm is just overpowered. Full Russian section positioned in a building with 6xRPG-26s and 1xRPG-7 tube (+8 shots),  firing their AT assets liberally,  gets easily overwhelmed in a suppression contest vs a US team, also in a building, popping a few 40mm :(