How to overcome Tunguskas?

markh

Curiosity got the better of me. I picked a M107 .50 cal sniper rifle team (first time I've touched them in the game, I think) and went hunting for Tunguska. Sniper rifle will easily hole Tunguska and the vehicle seems to freak out, getting penetrations without knowing where they're coming from. I even got one crew to bail out in panic. M107 is supposed to be an anti-material rife. Holing Tunguska and Strella while remaining unseen is it bread-and-butter.

If you pay close attention, AD is firing at precise off map locations, if it strikes you will see the resulting explosion. If it is a fast mover there is even a chance of crashing on map. Makes a nice hole. I was able once to actually see a fast mover crossing a map when on max zoom out overhead. (No you don't get to see an aircraft, just a dot). UAVs are a whole other kettle of fish. I have very frequently seen missiles coming from attack choppers right down the bearing my AA just fired (and apparently missed).

Pretty sure per above the Longbow Apache just does a little BLOS alignment, and overlays radar target that is on line of bearing for Tunguska radar emissions at head of queue for radar Hellfire.  Poof!  No more Tunguska.  Doesn't work in our game, but IMHO the air and UAS is the least important part of the game.  They are significant abstractions of the real world capabilities they represent, whereas the ground forces are an actual simulation.

What is more fun and challenging is putting TG's into a scenario w/ no air at all and using them in a ground role.  They are serious whoop, and carry a lot of ammo.  Paper thin armor, but don't get one shooting at you.  See the 'robocop' vid in my AAR.  While this is not their primary role (nod to other comments above) it is what the ZSU-23-4 wound up doing in Grozny, and I would bet that it is part of a designated and prioritized role for TG's in latest Russian doctrine.  Now, try imagining what this thing could do if all those shells were 'precision airburst.'  ;-)

Curiosity got the better of me. I picked a M107 .50 cal sniper rifle team (first time I've touched them in the game, I think) and went hunting for Tunguska. Sniper rifle will easily hole Tunguska and the vehicle seems to freak out, getting penetrations without knowing where they're coming from. I even got one crew to bail out in panic. M107 is supposed to be an anti-material rife. Holing Tunguska and Strella while remaining unseen is it bread-and-butter.

I like they way you think MikeyD..."bring along a .50 cal sniper rifle and do the deed yourself" :)

Pretty sure per above the Longbow Apache just does a little BLOS alignment, and overlays radar target that is on line of bearing for Tunguska radar emissions at head of queue for radar Hellfire.  Poof!  No more Tunguska.  Doesn't work in our game, but IMHO the air and UAS is the least important part of the game.  They are significant abstractions of the real world capabilities they represent, whereas the ground forces are an actual simulation.

What is more fun and challenging is putting TG's into a scenario w/ no air at all and using them in a ground role.  They are serious whoop, and carry a lot of ammo.  Paper thin armor, but don't get one shooting at you.  See the 'robocop' vid in my AAR.  While this is not their primary role (nod to other comments above) it is what the ZSU-23-4 wound up doing in Grozny, and I would bet that it is part of a designated and prioritized role for TG's in latest Russian doctrine.  Now, try imagining what this thing could do if all those shells were 'precision airburst.'  ;-)

Tunguska is definitely some serious whoop with a lot of ammo...  with 'precision airburst' shells it would be savage... and it already bad. Something primal about the idea of dispatching a Tunguska with an M107 anti-material rifle. I can hear the boys whopping it up on impact ;)

Edited by Buzz

Just thought I'd post this pic here, too.  It shows an Igla-S being fired off at a nice, shallow angle as a turn ends.  I heard a helicopter arrive last turn, so I'm pretty sure that's what it's being fired at.

Interesting. Makes me wonder whether putting your TG at the back, in good defilade, will mean it can't shoot at the attack helos stooging around at low level behind the opposition's base line with its cannon. Edited by womble