Close assaulting bunkers

Kommissar

**Soviet campaign mission 1 spoilers ahead**

I was playing the first mission in the Soviet campaign recently.  I figured going up the middle would be dangerous, and kept my men to the flanks as much as possible.  This was a fortunate decision, since there are a lot of bunkers at the German second defensive line (and mines).  After some nasty fighting, my men were able to come in from the flanks and rear of the positons and take out most of the units in the trenches.  Somewhat surprisingly, it was taking out the bunkers - from the rear - where I took most of my losses in the battle.

I would have a platoon (in one situation two) covering the rear of the bunker with LOS on it.  One of my squads would throw a nade in the bunker and it would be knocked out, but most of the crew would survive and proceed to exit the bunker.  I was expecting a Saving Private Ryan-esque massacre of the crew retreating the bunker. The problem is that crew would still be "inside" the bunker from the game perspective because despite all my platoon opening up on them, the bullets appeared to ricochet off the back of the bunker.  This didn't work both ways, and the defenders were able to shoot my guys just fine.  If it happened once I could chalk it up to bad luck, but it happened on every bunker that I took out with infantry from the rear.  It got so bad that for the last couple of bunkers I sent in one or two guys to nade the bunker, and told the supporting squads to hold fire for a turn so that the defenders would actually leave the bunker tile and could be eliminated.  I don't know if this is a bug or intentional, but it certainly strikes me that troops who are in the same tile as the bunker that was just destroyed appear to benefit from it's complete cover from the rear (but are also able to shoot out of it).  I'd be curious to know if other people have experienced the same thing.

It seems there are a few 'dice role' variables going from what I experienced when I tested Funnies & engineers bunker busting in CMBN - After their shell was cracked some bunker crews would meakly surrender, some would fight like cornered rabid dogs, and others would be all the states inbetween.

It seems there are a few 'dice role' variables going from what I experienced when I tested Funnies & engineers bunker busting in CMBN - After their shell was cracked some bunker crews would meakly surrender, some would fight like cornered rabid dogs, and others would be all the states inbetween.

And I don't have a problem with some of the crews coming out guns blazing (and potentially defeating a smaller force).  It's just that when Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid came out shooting, they didn't still have the benefit of the cover from the room they were holed up in, which is what the problem/bug appears to be in CMx2.

I've reported the same problem in the past, and I completely agree with you that it is a design problem that should be looked at and changed.

When successful, a bunker assault should kill the occupants. That's the whole point of throwing in grenades after all. And if the defenders for some reason decide to come out fighting, they should be at a HUGE disadvantage against troops outside just waiting for them.