Proposed - don't add tank riders to CMBN, save for Bulge instead

The latest updated CMBN should be as fast as CMFI. But then again CMFI doesn't have close-packed hedgerows to contend with (and neither does the AI while pathing). So CMBN still has a bit more thinking to do. CMFI is certainly faster than the pre-2.0 upgrade CMBN. Especially on slower machines.

The answer to that question is really really hard. I mean a Herculean task. A lot of work for very little tactically. In '44 Normandy nobody in their right mind would ride a tank into the teeth of the enemy, not with LOS distances as close as they are. Russia had their own tactical doctrine and specialized tank riding units. it wasn't mere a tax service for foot-wear GIs. I admit things change as we approach 1945, a lot of tactics and equipment changed when we hit 1945.

The above post is from the CMRT forum.  I post it here for reference.

It seems that retro-fitting tank riders to CMBN involves a very high cost in labor but prodcues low return in game value.  I would like to propose that Battelfront ignore our pleas and not add tank riders to CMBN.  Seems to me that this feature should be included in the Combat Mission "Bulge" game instead.  Let the riots begin!  :rolleyes:

I expect that actually is BFs plan.  They will develop the models for Bulge and then back port them to CMBN at some point.  It still requires work, but at least with Bulge, the product can be priced to accommodate that.  Same would go for CMFI.  The models that appear in all 3 games would be based off work done on Bulge.

...tank riders...should be included in the Combat Mission "Bulge" game instead.

I expect that actually is BFs plan.  They will develop the models for Bulge...

The way I read Steve's recent posts, there's no need to "expect"; he seemed quite clear that there would be tank riders in the Bulge base game.

...back port them to CMBN at some point.

That's the part that I think remains open to speculation. I certainly agree that it does seem logical that the work to backport common models and scoop up the exceptions for the earlier periods would be significantly less than adding rider spots and all the other details needed to support lazy dogfaces ( :) ) from scratch.

I cannot fully express my feelings when, testing CMRT, I noted my tank riders being machinegunned off the tanks and falling to the ground.

The way BFC implemented riders in the game was better than I'd hoped.

I preferred mine where a T 34 85 got hit with a PF and the bright crop of red crosses in order appeared over the tank.  Brought back memories of Elvis and JonS beta AAR in Bois de Baugin when the hand grenade got tossed into the truck.  Seems you can never have too many reminders of the dangers of troop transport.  I expect to see a lot more with CMBS.