AVRE reloading and range

I cannot find the post and I have not tested reloading myself but I remember reading that it can take between 2 and 4 minutes to reload.

If there is a disagreement between the manual and the game I suggest you take the behaviour in the game as correct :-) Even if it is a bug it will be the correct behaviour until it is fixed :D

If it takes that long to reload (main gun greyed out) that might explain why it didn't fire despite tageting order between 80 - 100 m. That why I thought the "Out of range" might be wrong.

But it seems like it's been more than 4 minutes now...

Good thing there is no incoming fire :D

About 3-5 turns and just using mortar can take several direct hits. Best dismount the onboard engineers and get them round the back to blow the bleedin' doors off. AVRE will then just use MG fire to suppress and generally force any remaining occupants to surrender. Also useful is flamethrower from round the back to suppress occupants before bunker itself is knocked out as they like to come out fighting...

My advice is after you fire the mortar pop smoke and back away immediately. The reload process is a bullet magnet and the chance that your (bow MG) loader will die is pretty high. And it does take a long time to reload. I think Sturmtiger in CMBB took less time.

Is this (my bold bit) because the re-load involves "breaking" (like a shotgun) the weapon *outside* the turret - not breech-loaded inside the turret - and the loader/bow MGer popping up out of his hull top hatch to do the re-loading?

If so, not surprising it is a vulnerable position if there are any unsurpressed defenders around ...

Not managed to play with one in game yet; but even if this process is not represented visually, perhaps the crewman protection levels are decreased (equivalent to being outside the tank) during the reload process??

In game the designated 'radio operator' just prior to firing pops up for a fraction of a second (blink and you'll miss him) to externally reload. it seems most of the waiting around reloading time in game is presumably the mortar round getting unstowed and moved through the vehicle to the relevent crew member.

Wicky,

The description of the reloading process given here would appear to indicate the way the process is depicted in-game may not be right. According to the piece, reloading required a) rotating the turret so that the Petard was above the co-driver/radio operator's hatch, B) sliding the hatch away; c) exposing that crewman head and shoulders to break open the Petard and position the weapon breech vertically over the hatch opening, d) lifting the ~ 18 kg Flying Dustbin projectile from the ammo rack, then vertically manhandling it into the barrel (nowhere nearly as easy and natural as heaving a shell into a more or less horizontal tank cannon), then pivoting the loaded Petard barrel back into its first position and making sure it's securely latched. After that, the crewman pops back inside and slides the hatch shut. That's when the AVRE is considered ready to start the target engagement. Given this, I see no way a split second exposure of the crewman could be remotely right.

http://worldwar2headquarters.com/HTML/normandy/HobartsFunnies/hf_petard.html

Regards,

John Kettler