Patches versus Updates versus Branches

Whatever happened to patches being separate from the upgrades? I was really excited to check out some of the new features in my version of CMBN, (I also own CMRT) but... apparently I need my game updated to the latest version to run said patch.

-------------

Battlefront always said that patches and upgrades were totally separate things; patches would always be available no matter what your version number.

Rough quote: "Patches don't include new features, they are free and mostly are for game fixes. They will be available for your version of Combat Mission" (IF you really, really... really need me to find a quote, I can spend an hour searching the forums).

------------

So unless I upgrade my game, which is purely optional (it wouldn't take me more than a minute to go back and grab one of those quotes)... I can't get the game fixes?

So the game needs to be patched, something is obviously wrong (let's use AI QB force selection as an example)... but unless I pay for the upgrade, I'm SOL?

-----

This isn't what Battlefront said when they changed their marketing tactics. While responding to people who were critical of the upgrade model, they continuously said that Upgrades were worth it because they added new content. Patches would still be around for people who bought the game and wanted it to be as fixed up as possible. This was one of the selling points of the upgrades, they add new material. Patches were supposed to always be available, because all they did was fix game mechanics.

-----

Trying to not "whine" here. Just laying out a few points and examples that I think illustrate my point.

The only patch option that wouldn't affect version 1.12... or whatever I have, would probably be :

Aircraft control returned to original method (observers have control)

----------

So can you please release a version for 1.0 and 2.0? Here comes the snark; if you don't release these patches, what's the point of keeping 1.0 or 2.0 out there at all, except only to get an additional $10 when someone buys a new copy of the game? Does it make sense to have 3 separate "branches*" of this game at all?

Will you ever reach a point where you release a _____ (need a thesaurus to come up with another term that you haven't used yet) that will bring up all "branches" to the same version number. Maybe after Black Sea is released?

+++++++++++

*Branches- this is the latest term I've read used to describe the different versions of the game. It's taken right from the Battlefront front page.

Battlefront: We are... it's an Upgrade. Patches are things that fix or make small tweaks to existing features. Upgrades are things that add new functionality or significantly change basic behavior. It is standard software terminology that has been used for about 20+ years.

- http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1545550#post1545550 for context. I am not trying to run a gotcha on Steve, I'm just backing up my point.

==============================================

All I'm trying to say is that the patch feature list (which I won't bother to repost here) is comprised of fixes that affect almost versions/patches/updates/branches of Combat Mission Battle for Normandy. At the very least, upping the price of rockets and improving tank behavior is enough for me.

------------

1.12, if I remember correctly, was a patch that included the fixes included in version 2.0 and was released a little while after 2.0 itself.

Are you going to release a patch for the 1.0 version and name it 1.3?

I was one of the early adopters of CMx2 and currently enjoy Red Thunder. Am I missing something here?

In case you haven't been following in some of the other threads, BF is working on implementing a new licensing system which will allow one player to play another no matter what either player as paid for. In order for this to work, both players (I'm assuming) will have to have all the same components installed (modules, patches, upgrades). For example, if you only have only paid for version 1.x but your opponent has paid for 3.x and all the modules & VP, then you and he can play together and you can use vehicles & units that you have not paid for.

The upside of this is you will have to have the 3.x patch installed. And I assume that you will benefit from the patch when you play single player games so long as the fix applies to what you've paid for.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question(s) in the OP, but it seems to be asking whether forthcoming patches will add 3.0-developed fixes to older versions of the CMBN engine (1.0 and 2.0). I believe the answer is no; BTS has made it clear that older engines are retired and no longer supported with patches.

However, the poster also brings Red Thunder (currently at 1.02) into the discussion. This makes me think that it's worth pointing out that all three WW2 games are independent for patching purposes. Red Thunder at 1.02 is basically equivalent (in engine and patching terms) to CMBN at 3.11.

In order for this to work, both players (I'm assuming) will have to have all the same components installed (modules, patches, upgrades). For example, if you only have only paid for version 1.x but your opponent has paid for 3.x and all the modules & VP, then you and he can play together and you can use vehicles & units that you have not paid for.

The upside of this is you will have to have the 3.x patch installed. And I assume that you will benefit from the patch when you play single player games so long as the fix applies to what you've paid for.

You sort of contradicted what you said in the first two sentences above. I'm not trying to be jerk, and I think I understand what you mean, but you are saying that the modules are interchangeable, not the updates. I think I'm following that thread as well.

-----------------------------

But my comment, or rather question is: will there be a 1.13 patch for CMBN? The fixes that are listed along with the patch can be utilized in the 1.x versions. I think maybe one thing is redundant, and one might not apply. I'm just looking for clarification on this. Furthermore, I am also expressing, if this is not the case, frustration. This was not the case when rolling out the "Updates" in the first place. We were all assured that the patches would not add new features and would available for all users. This was done with the last upgrade.

A lot of people were called out for confusing patches and updates. Now it seems that they are dependent upon each other, and no longer can it be said that game fixes would and always would be free.

----------

Edit: "when rolling out the 'Updates' in the first place" changed from "the 'Updates' in the future."

1.12, if I remember correctly, was a patch that included the fixes included in version 2.0 and was released a little while after 2.0 itself.

Are you going to release a patch for the 1.0 version and name it 1.3?

I was one of the early adopters of CMx2 and currently enjoy Red Thunder. Am I missing something here?

No worries, it is a complicated subject.

As I understand it 1.0 will never be patched again. BF had stated they would support the current version and one previous. They are at the 3.0 version on CMBN so that implies they might have a patch down the road for 2.0 versions, but I wouldn't count on it for the simple reason they are likely to hit 4.0 first.

I think it is important to remember that BF is forging a new path for themselves and the path isn't known in advance. Most of us remember when CMBB came out wishing CMBO had it's features. Eventually they came out with CMAK and someone modded it for the NWE theater. The commitment from BF to keep all game families current is an awfully big undertaking and we have already seen the time it can take to make that a reality. CMRT's release then meant a lag while CMBN and CMFI were brought up to speed and then all needed additional patches as issues with 3.0 became apparent. As there are more and more game families this becomes even more prohibitive for the team regarding time and resources. I appreciate their commitment to us as consumers but honestly I expect they will end up only being able to support the current version. Trying to maintain two versions of a family over 10 - 15 families is I think overly optimistic. Just my opinion.

They also have the additional and connected issue of trying to simplify the consumers confusion as to what patches they need, updating a game or adding a module and re-patching etc. It looks like they have come upon a solution to that, but I suspect that solution means there is only one version supported. Again just my opinion, I really have no clue.