Picking up SMG

It's worth remembering that the vast majority of WWII soldiers were not professional warfighters, but rather men who had been e.g., farmers, stock clerks, bus drivers just a few months before entering combat. They might have been taught the technical difference between a mag and a clip in basic, but that doesn't mean they considered the distinction particularly important and honored it in their word usage.

If you read actual period interviews, you'll find all sorts of technically incorrect terminology spoken by GIs. I have definitely heard "I emptied the entire clip into him," or "I loaded a fresh clip," when referring to a Thompson, even though the weapon technically uses a detachable magazine rather than a clip.

Sure, I understand that. What I was more getting at is gamers propagating bad terminology. I'm certainly not going to get into a semantics debate with someone who actually fought in that war.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certainly not going to get into a semantics debate with someone who actually fought in that war.

One of the most interesting war memoirs I ever read was from a guy whose name I forgot. He was one of Cortes soldiers.

This gang of about 500 mercenarys landed on an unknown coast finding a strange and in some aspects savage culure. They challenged an empire fielding a standig army in the tens of thousands and the ability to mobilize hundreds of thousand.

In the end they conquered the capital, built in a lake lying above 2.000 m and beeing the third largest city of its time, built in a strange and fascinating architecture. This resulted in the destruction of a whole civilization and spanish control over Mexico.

Cortes himself failed to find a place in this new world showing a surprising lack of understanding of political power.

Our hero sat down and wrote a book about this campaign which is great to read once you get used to the language, thanks to his rather modern style of storytelling.

The latter prompted a visit of the Spanish Inquisition complaining about the perspective of his storytelling as beeing too centered on the views of a single soldier. Surely Gods working did play a much greater role, completly ignored in the book. also his majesty in Spain doesnt get the credit he surely deserves.

Our valiant Konquistatore heraing their complaints stiffened slightly, leaned forward, unblinkingly fixed the chief Inquisitor and silently, but well audible and only slightly threatingly said: "Listen, Buddy. I fought more battles than Ceasar. If you want me to change my book, look in my eyes and call me a liar."

They were talking about the mexican climate afterwards and the inquisition guys after hastily finishing their Drinks left for good. Mr. big cojones still feeling some pressure inside sat down and added a chapter to his book about the visit of the Spanish Inquisition.

I guess this meeting happened in a veterans settlement in Mexico and not in some village on the Spanish mainland.

What did I want to tell with this completly unconnected and slightly meandering story?

Right! Luke, you remind me of the Spanish Inquisition. ;)

Sure, I understand that. What I was more getting at is gamers propagating bad terminology. I'm certainly not going to get into a semantics debate with someone who actually fought in that war.

Is it worth noting that PF was clearly quoting Webster directly?