Kurds get German Weapons

Rayak47

Time to find where I filed away CMSF NATO! Anyone have a good map representing the Kurdish controlled areas?

The shipments will include 8,000 G36 assault rifles and the same number of G3 rifles, as well as ammunition; 200 Panzerfaust 3 bazookas and 30 long-range MILAN anti-tank systems; and five heavily armored Dingo infantry vehicles.

I heard merkels speech today. Germany will only deliver weapons to one of the iraqi kurdish factions in Syria and Iraq, namely the peshmerga. Pkk and pyd are not going to get german weapons.

Also check out wikimapia, you might find some accurate info on the frontlines there.

This issue and the possibility that the Peshmerga may be using the german weapons against the iraqi government after their victory against ISIS are, according to Merkel, both less of a threat to Germany than ISIS taking over Iraq/Syria permanently.

The ISIS mess has a chance of strengthening the bond between the Kurds and the central government (especially with Maliki gone). What's that Benjamin Franklin quote? "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." An autonomous Kurdistan sharing a long border with an ISIS-dominated Iraq doesn't sound particularly appealing. ISIS has already staged several raids into Iran!

. What's that Benjamin Franklin quote? "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

"United we stand, divided we fall" - Aesop

The ISIS mess has a chance of strengthening the bond between the Kurds and the central government (especially with Maliki gone). An autonomous Kurdistan sharing a long border with an ISIS-dominated Iraq doesn't sound particularly appealing. ISIS has already staged several raids into Iran!

At the moment ISIS, as a common threat the iraqi government and the autonomous krudish regions share, certainly does strengthen the bond between the two, but what once the ISIS threat has been dealt with? Wont the Kurds still feel the need for having their own state? I think that after ISIS is defeated, the Kurds, having gained years of combat experience and lots valueable high-end weaponary, might be even more motivated than they were already before the war to grasp at their long wanted independence, especially given the weak iraqi central government.

As a different POV, I think ISIS could be the best thing that's happened to us as all the ME groups will end up fighting each other and no time to worry about the west.

Note how the ME countries are anxious to involved the west again in "boots on the ground" so that they can continue (in private) to assail us as "The Great Satan" etc.