Analysis of RT senario loading times

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to wonder if this issue is video card related. I recently "upgraded" my video card from Nvidia to AMD, and the loading times are quite a bit worse now. That's the only thing I changed.

Having looked through a bunch of threads about slow loading times, it seems most, if not all complaints were from people using AMD GPUs.

Yeah, highly suspect. While both the Laptop & New Tower's GPU's sport 2 GB of dedicated memory, the AMD 7870 is a much more powerful unit than the GT750M, as demonstrated with the 3DMark11 scores. Is it the manner in which OpenGL drivers are being handled by AMD?

That's why I was curious to know - without giving up any trade secrets - what's being loaded at 28%. It may provide a clue to what's going on here...

Tanks a lot - which video cards did you move from/to?

Yeah, highly suspect. While both the Laptop & New Tower's GPU's sport 2 GB of dedicated memory, the AMD 7870 is a much more powerful unit than the GT750M, as demonstrated with the 3DMark11 scores. Is it the manner in which OpenGL drivers are being handled by AMD?

That's why I was curious to know - without giving up any trade secrets - what's being loaded at 28%. It may provide a clue to what's going on here...

Tanks a lot - which video cards did you move from/to?

I went from an Nvidia Geforce 560GTX TI-448 to an AMD Radeon R9 280.

Tough call. I have no problem 'returning' to Nvidia, mind you, but my options are...

A) GTX 760 for $240 - no slouch, but a sidestep over from the AMD 7870

B) GTX 770, a nice upgrade, but carries a $320 price point.

What I'd really like to do is borrow a friends' card and see if that works or not... suppose I could buy one and return it if all fails.

Of course, it doesn't answer the 'why' part, but...

Good to know... normally, if I commit to something like this, I'll try to get something sorta future-proof (4K CMx3 capable - maybe a GTX 770 4GB). After all, the whole point was to build the fastest CM machine possible...

Still would like to post on AMD forums to see what they have to say for themselves; on Marthas Vineyard for a couple days vacation ("va-ca-tion - traveling to some other desirable location only to mind your children as opposed to doing it at home.") so it may have to wait. Could order the 770 from here, tho... tell the wife it's a, a microwave part...

I dont think the card is an issue, I have a Gigabyte R9 290 (full specs in post #4) and all CMRT scenarios work fine at best/best, 4xFSAA.

It looks like you were having slow loading times in post 4. Have things improved? Or are you talking about in-game play? I'm happy with the performance once the game starts, it's only the loading times that are lousy. I assume that's Hpt. Lisse's main problem too.

It looks like you were having slow loading times in post 4. Have things improved? Or are you talking about in-game play? I'm happy with the performance once the game starts, it's only the loading times that are lousy. I assume that's Hpt. Lisse's main problem too.

Hi, no just talking about in game performance, loading times are still an issue.

However, video card should have no impact on loading times since it only begins to work after the game is loaded. The most likely culprits are the SSD, CPU, operating system, drivers or the interplay between some/all of them.

what are your system specs?

edit - actually you may be on to something, maybe a conflict with the card's video drivers. Will have to look into that.

Yeah man, I cannot claim this to be a double-blind test with 50 separate systems, but we're getting down to GPU's and/or drivers; or Win 7 vs Win 8.1 factors, at least in my case. Tanks a Lot's example is just as indicative, it seems...

The AMD 7870 does fairly well in-game, not flawless but with x16 AF and 8xAA on, pretty good.

The game is installed on a Samsung 830 SSD in Windows 7 64, so my hardware should load the game without much trouble. You might be right about a driver issue, since the video card was the only change in my system, and it's a much faster card than what I had before.

Long loading times might not be that big of an issue for most people, since they probably don't load games all that often. Being someone who mods way more than he plays, I need to load scenarios dozens of times a day. It's starting to really take the fun out of it having to wait so much.

EVGA GTX 760 ACX 4GB GDDR5 RAM in the Hackintosh and in CMRT simply flies across any map with everything set to best.

If you can borrow a friends' card that is a safe way to test. Good Luck.

Hi Buzz

I have a MacBook and thinking about upgrading, but none of the Macs currently on sale really seem to do the job (or are super expensive). How tricky is it to build a Hackintosh, and could you point me in the direction of a site that could explain how? I have almost no knowledge of computing insides...

Hi Buzz

I have a MacBook and thinking about upgrading, but none of the Macs currently on sale really seem to do the job (or are super expensive). How tricky is it to build a Hackintosh, and could you point me in the direction of a site that could explain how? I have almost no knowledge of computing insides...

In general not that tricky to build and lots of options for how much you invest for your needs. PM sent.

Yeah, hedging my bet that I'll be playing at 1080p for awhile yet... it was either a GTX 760 with 4 GB or a 770 w/2 GB video RAM... I sorted through the usual benchmarks and the step up to the 770 GPU seems to be significant, so that's where I landed. I also have had good experiences w/EVGA hardware in the past, before I moved to ATI/AMD...

Let us know how the new Nvidia card works out.

I have looked at this from many angles, updating drivers, tweaking, changing options, but no improvement. Loading times for "Studienka" PBEM files as German after 30 minutes of game play hover around 4 minutes. OTOH, "Woroblin Bridgehead" PBEM files load in 1 minute. The size and complexity of the map seems to have the biggest impact on load times.

770 w/2 GB video RAM should work great. 4GB is probably more than needed (but gives you plenty of room for super hi res. textures / mods if you pack that z-folder) unless you are running 2 monitors... then 4GB GPU memory is very useful.

Loading times for "Studienka" Elite RT vs AI as German everything maxed to best, shadows, shaders, trees, at 2560 x 1440 = 39" on the hackintosh. This is just a start up file not 30 minutes into battle.

ChrisND's twitch feed now on CMBN/CMFI - UPGRADE 3.0 FEATURES

edit:

Improved load time for scenarios, especially larger ones with complex terrain

Improved responsiveness of 2D editing, especially for large maps

Improved load time for 3D Preview, especially large maps

Improved shaders

Has not mentioned CMRT patch yet.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I used Driver Fusion to uninstall all the AND/ATI stuff, and installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

The new GTX 770 2GB loaded 'Test 1' (best/best) in 0:56 seconds. That's a direct comparison with an AMD 7870 2GB (latest drivers) loading at 3:25; the new Nvidia card & drivers are almost 4x faster at loading times. Beats the i7-4700QM/Nvidia G750M laptop by some 17 seconds (1:13 sec) as it should.

More tomorrow,as warrants.