Artillery Fire

err also called wooden bunkers? (more or less...)

Pretty much not. Wooden bunkers are more "death trap" than "protection". Rifle calibre bullets seem to penetrate unhindered, and occupants are easily suppressed and killed. More so than those in trenches, IME.

Rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd ask here.

I have a mission with off-map artillery (105mm) that has both HE and smoke ammo. If I order a long general purpose explosive barrage then the guns claim to be empty afterwards and I am no longer able to deploy a smoke mission (I have no problem in reverse: I can deploy HE after smoke). Is this intended behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

Rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd ask here.

I have a mission with off-map artillery (105mm) that has both HE and smoke ammo. If I order a long general purpose explosive barrage then the guns claim to be empty afterwards and I am no longer able to deploy a smoke mission (I have no problem in reverse: I can deploy HE after smoke). Is this intended behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

It's intended (albeit counterintuitive) behaviour. That smoke number is the number of shells that could be smoke, and comes out of the number of rounds, total. On-map assets track each separately, so if they've 100 HE and 10 smoke, you can blaze away with the HE and still have a smoke mission or two left.

Apparently, the offmap way of presenting it is accurate; that's how the real armies doled out their fire support.

Michael Emrys,

May I suggest you revisit the relevant FMs? Aiming stakes go into place long before overhead cover is built, as in right after the foxhole is completed and before the approaches are "manicured" to make it easier to shoot attackers. Aiming stakes are an essential sector of fire control measure for night and reduced visibility. Inter alia, they keep friendlies from shooting each other under degraded vision conditions.

Regards,

John Kettler

Of course it is empty space, nothing would live in that area that long. I cannot beleive how much arty you have dropped there. You have a Ton of it.

As for shredding you, I beleive you deserve it.

I was pleased with how many fireflys I have taken out without losing too many Tigers. So yes the battle is very enjoyable from my side at the moment.

Of course you still have a few of them fireflys, why dont you bring them out to play, I am running out of things to shoot :)

Pics.

Pics, or it didnt happen

But that was the point. Nothing happened. I dropped a load of 105 onto what used by be my position but things were so bad, for me, that by the time they rain started to fall even @slysniper's guys were not there any more.

So, nothing did happen :D

Oh, it was not all that much of a waste. You did catch a few guys that I thought could ride out 3-4 minutes of arty, but they died somewhere along the way of the 15-20 minutes of rain you placed in that area.

Also, it was blocking me of moving some troops. so i risked a few trying to pass by the edges of the strike.

Needless to say, I dont need to worry about moving them troops anymore also

The funny one was with a kubelwagon with 3 guys I tried running up the main road along side the strike.

I figured they would not be in the strike zone long, maybe 15 seconds and only a poor round would fall out in that area seldom anyway. So I thought the odds were good. Note: Forgetting that the game likes to prove to me that I should never try luck as a solution for anything.

Needless to say, they drive pass the area I was concerned about but before totally clearing the area, A real stray round almost lands right on top of the car and two die instantly and the third so shell shocked, he runs back into the strike to do the job correctly. So he is likely not anything more than pieces of shreaded meat and hopefully someone finds his dog tags so that he is not a MIA.:eek:

Oh, it was not all that much of a waste. You did catch a few guys that I thought could ride out 3-4 minutes of arty, but they died somewhere along the way of the 15-20 minutes of rain you placed in that area.

Yeah but I was trying to catch that Tiger platoon under it. Great story about the kubelwagon. I feel better now - a little :)

Going back to the engineering question, I found this:Using the map editor to make fortifications. I remember reading that thread, and thinking "genius"!

I would also recommend reading FM 5-103 "Survivability", very inspirational.

It's amazing what you could make with shellholes, bushes and trees.