Can somebody answer some questions on Information Sharing?

Yes. I actually think buttoned tanks get information a bit too quickly. I have not noticed a significant difference (this means within 1 minute) between buttoned and unbuttoned but for realism purposes I try and unbutton tanks if I am trying to share info. I feel it works faster for units not close or in the same formation but being buttoned isn't preventative from my experience.

Some models of allied tanks did have a handset on the outside at the rear which enabled infantry to talk with the tank buttoned up. This is from memory and it is a bit scratchy.

Yes. I actually think buttoned tanks get information a bit too quickly. I have not noticed a significant difference (this means within 1 minute) between buttoned and unbuttoned but for realism purposes I try and unbutton tanks if I am trying to share info. I feel it works faster for units not close or in the same formation but being buttoned isn't preventative from my experience.

Some models of allied tanks did have a handset on the outside at the rear which enabled infantry to talk with the tank buttoned up. This is from memory and it is a bit scratchy.

Thanks. On one hand, I'm happy to have this info, on the other hand I'm a bit disappointed, since I was sure that you needed to unbutton (and risk your crew) to share spotting info. So it would be a risk/reward scenario.

Now I'll just keep the tin cans closed.

For me this is in the anecdotal area and I have never watched it systemically enough to be sure exactly what is happening. I tend to unbutton but once anything touches a tank I button and leave them that way.

To be sure you would need to have two isolated units and the spotted target out of LOS of the tank. This is actually relatively rare.

But I know I have had many situations where I am expecting to have to unbutton a tank at the end of a turn and they already have the information.

But I know I have had many situations where I am expecting to have to unbutton a tank at the end of a turn and they already have the information.

Could they have it through radio contact with their HQ tank?

Sorry for asking these newbie questions, but even after a year of playing this game, I still do feel like a bit of a newbie when it comes to the inner workings of the thing... I think I know how it works, but I'm never sure.

It could have been. Or another unit in the vicinity. That is why it is really hard to tell. It could have travelled up the chain to a senior HQ then across then down again.

But I have seen situations where I doubt that has happened. Playing Red Thunder the other day I am sure this happened as the units in question were quite isolated. But as I don't watch the video ultra closely (just once usually, or twice if it is a big a battle) I could have made a mistake.

And they are not newbie questions. The manual does not give specifics as to timeframes for this working. Search the forum for "command layer" and you will see the realism guidelines I have played with for the last couple of years now I think. Even playing like that it is difficult to quantify exactly how fast things occurs. I have not tested any of this in sandboxes using the editor so all this info is basically anecdotal (a lot of them).

At times information seems to spread ultra quickly, other times extremely slowly.

That said from experience HQs seems to be best and proximity helps. If I really want information to share then literally standing the HQ with the information next to the intended recipient for 1 turn (or 1:15 is a common pause time I use) will do the trick.

But more generally nothing but green lights and a good morale state should see information move around pretty quickly within a formation.

The information was horizontal, i.e. from an infantry unit to a tank not in the same C2 chain. Specifically I tested an MG42 HMG team with a Panzer IV. In fact, I think I have tested this on two occasions and the first time was with US infantry and Shermans. I probably still have those tests.

Just ran into a new one that I haven't seen yet (CW Buron battle). I had a platoon HQ literally right next to the squads for several minutes and the squads had no C2 to the HQ (yes, it was the correct HQ, no there were no obstructions, and they were not under fire. They didn't get a green light for the rest of the battle. Any idea why this would be?