Your System and CM beta demo

Ok

I have a P3 500 overclocked to 600 mhtz, and a Leadtek tnt2 card o/c to 160 mhtz. And I must say Cm is no sweat for my system to crunch - the scenarios in the demo take 3-6 sec for AI crunching and the framerate is smooth enough that I don't notice smile.gif

What sort of crunching times are other people getting? I can't measure fps with my card so I don't know - must be getting at least 60 fps by the llok of it.

Also I big bug I noticed playing the Last Defence scenario with FOW, the SHerman tanks are invisible to me! But my 88 still knocked it out and a plume of smoke appeared from nowhere smile.gif BTS I hope you haved noticed this wink.gif

I must say the game is diffferent everytime I play it - I saved a game and generted some different turns using the same orders, and everything happened in a different sequence, at a different location! Cool smile.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Homepage -

www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Beach/4448

Guest Big Time Software

Did you press shift-V by accident? It hides vehicles. Just press shift-V again and they will return.

Charles

Guest Mikeman

K6-3 450, 128MB, Voodoo3 2000, 1152x864

Don't know fps, but smooth as silk. Sound a little corrupted. Nothing major though.

Mikeman out.

also you can improve the sound and immersion a lot if you hva e a SOund Blaster live/Value by using the auto EAX setup aplet in the control panel and select the Combat Mission executable! :0 You get a nice 3d soundstage with nice ambient fx!! Highly recommended smile.gif SoundBlaster Live Value OEM cards are dirt cheap.......go buy one now only $100 in AUstralia, I think about $60 in the US?

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Homepage -

www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Beach/4448

We have three computers here. One is an NT server (thinking about dual-booting it), one is a _very_ old 133 with an ATI card that does not support DirectX (it's complete ISA, so no new cards are available), and: my laptop (a Compaq Armada 1541, 150Mhz, 2MB built-in video, no 3D accel).

So I'm running, for now, on the laptop.

Framerate is about .3 FPS (yup, 3 seconds for each refresh). 'Think time' is fine, at about 15 seconds.

With tremendous patience (esp. waiting for the cursor to appear after moving the mouse) CM is both playable and enjoyable on this machine - although it plays like a hex game because the visible movement is in quantum leaps. The Hellcats took out both STuGs, but were in turn destroyed by the Tiger. My infantry is now debarking to the west in preparation for rolling-up the south-west victory point. Looking good! Unfortuneatly, due to the lack of immersion on my slow system, I forgot about the 105 FO and wasted _all_ the ammo on a 60mm mortar (the allied team manning the mortar was especially sorry for this mistake).

It was worth the wait.

Intel Pent.2 400mhz cpu, 128mb ram, voodoo3 2000, 24x cdrom.

I don't what the fps is, but it looks really smooth with all graphics options on. No crashes or freeze ups. I wish some of the "finished" games I've bought in the past ran this well.

Played it on two different systems. An ibook with 96 megs of ram. Runs great little stuttery in battles but still enjoyable. A starmax 5000 Upgraded to a G3 333 throught the magic of l2 cache upgrade. 128 meg of ram and a rage orion card. Plays like a dream. Ok 1 more system a G4 400 sawtooth variant. Well lets just say its as close to real life that your going to get. Bravo BTS for making this game a great experience no matter where you play it!

CCJ, I have a SB Live Value and am getting no sound!

In terms of fps, mine are smooth (don't know exact number) even during intense fighting. Processing has taken on average 4-6secs. I've played only on my p3-450, 64Ram, Vodoo2 12mb, SB Live.

I'm on a P133, 48 megs of RAM. Viper v330 4 meg.

Although they recomend at least a P200 to play the demo, the P133 will work. I've only played a few turns and nothing too intensive has happened yet but the turn resolution doesn't take but a few seconds. The playback is choppy but I can live with it at this point. I'm happy to be able to run it.

• 2 weeks later...

CM runs as smooth as silk on my system: Mac beige tower G3 300/1MB L2 w/ ATI Rage PRO built in w/6MB SGRAM (waiting for 3dfx Napalm). I have 288 SDRAM @ 10ns with 64 MB being given to the app. I'm running MacOS 8.5.1

Is there a command to get a frame counter to pop up or some other way to know how many fps I'm getting?

PowerTowerPro 225 Mhz 604e, OS 8.1, Rage Orion card.

Works great. Frame rate might be a bit slow in that I don't see every mortar explosion, but I have no trouble tracking tank projectiles.

------------------

Laurie Nyveen a.k.a. Webs, member of the WarBirds training staff

Editor, Netsurfer Digest - http://www.netsurf.com/nsd/index.html

101 Sqn opus-in-progress - http://101.warbirds.org/

I'm using a G3/400mhz powerbook 128Meg ram OS9 with ATI graphics acceleration. Computes AI in a few seconds, and the framerate is great. I tried it over the weekend on my G3/300 128 Meg ram OS 8.6 beige tower with a microconversions Voodoo 2 12MB board, 3dfx reference drivers, and got terrible framerates, so something must not have been configured properly. The graphics did not look 3dfx enhanced... does CM support software rendering? Is there some way to determine which rendering method is being used?

Got a 200MMX 32 ram with a matrox millenium (it's soon turning 3).

With some patience the game plays quite well, even if scrolling, zooming etc. is a bit irretating sometimes. And even if the framerate is far from good, it's still enjoyable.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I tried it over the weekend on my G3/300 128 Meg ram OS 8.6 beige tower with a microconversions Voodoo 2 12MB board, 3dfx reference drivers, and got terrible framerates, so something must not have been configured properly. The graphics did not look 3dfx enhanced... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C C,

I had the same problem initially trying a Voodoo2 card and reference drivers.

First, do you have the "3dfx RAVE" extension enabled? (it comes with the reference drivers) You'll need that.

Next, set your monitor resolution to 800x600 or less. "3dfx RAVE" doesn't seem to work at higher resolutions.

OTOH, my ATI XClaim VR (8 Meg), runs CM in 1024x768 just great! smile.gif (7600 with 225 MHz upgrade)

Mark

Guest Tom punkrawk

I have a crappy 200mhz 64mbs of ram,generic video card w/ I dunno, sound blaster pro or soemthing,but my computer sucks,CM runs really really slow, there's like a 4 second diffrance from when I click on a squad and it highlites it.But I get used to it.

ANyways after christmas I'm going to buy a video card, maybe that;ll help a little

------------------

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>ANyways after christmas I'm going to buy a video card, maybe that;ll help a little<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially with a 200 MHz CPU, a 3D video card should help a LOT. 3D graphics cards are wonderful technological marvels. smile.gif

What screen resolution are you running at? 640x480 should significantly improve performance over say 1024x768, if your using just "software rendering".

Mark L

PowerMac 6500/250 12 meg V2 running 3dfx's reference drivers

Game runs smooth the only slowdown was when all then tanks were on fire zoomed all the way out with the unit on a huge size!

------------------

"I'm tired of quotes, tell me what you know"

-Mark Twain

Mark L:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem initially trying a Voodoo2 card and reference drivers.

First, do you have the "3dfx RAVE" extension enabled? (it comes with the reference drivers) You'll need that.

Next, set your monitor resolution to 800x600 or less. "3dfx RAVE" doesn't seem to work at higher resolutions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aha - I do have the RAVE extension, but I was at 1024x768. The 800x600 requirement rings a bell - I will look into this when I go home this weekend. Unfortunately, I have a really old (but nice) NEC monitor and I dont think that 800x600 is a selectable option, only 832x648(6??) (or something like that) with the adapter I have. I might need the software to set the resolution to 800x600 directly (as in Unreal and so on).

BTS: is there a way to set the resolution from the application that I didn't see?

Thanks Mark L...

My 300mhz Pentium2 (64meg RAM) with 2meg ATI graphics card does OK. I've got problems with seeing the LOS and command lines (they only show up when viewed at certain angles), but video speed is fine, all looks OK, and it only takes 5-6 seconds for turn resolution.

Just curious, after quitting CM, then starting up CM again (without rebooting), I often get bizarre red lines all over the screen (looks almost like a background grid where the terrain tiles would be laid, except the terrain is not there). The only fix I have is rebooting. Any idea if updating my drivers will fix this, or is it because I only have a 2meg graphics card?

I have trouble seeing the command lines when they are clipped by terrain. In particular, it occurs when the two points are lower than the intermediate terrain. Basically, the terrain is drawn over the line. It would be nice, and tedious I imagine after some of the shadow comments, to have this draw on top of all terrain. As it is, I'm used to it now.

Justin