Which sound mods you guys using?

Georgemc's latest sound mod is great, whenever an MG42 opens up I find myself hiding under my desk!

:eek:

As for other must have mods I love Juju's most recent UI mod and, Aris terrain mods are great too! You have a lot to pick and choose from.

Which one of the arias terrain mod do i get 1 or 2 or do I get both? and where can I find juju most recent UI mod? I looked for it and couldn't come up with it.

Sort of on topic - I have more of a general question about using mods.

If I put a mod folder in my z folder, and that mod folder has sub-folders, will all the sub-folders get read into the game and used?

For example, I have Juju's TweakedUI v3 folder in my z folder. Within Juju's folder, there are sub folders, e.g. backgrounds, buttons, icons, etc. Will all this work correctly?

Same with my sound folder in z. There are many sub-folders containing the various sound categories.

I just want to make sure I am using the mod folder correctly.

how they get loaded depends on the name of the folder. For example in my z folder I have a folder called sounds mods in it I have different sound mods. I put each into a folder and named them to load in the order I prefer.

So the answer is yes, it will load sub folders. You can organize them anyway you like so long as you track the load order.

how they get loaded depends on the name of the folder. For example in my z folder I have a folder called sounds mods in it I have different sound mods. I put each into a folder and named them to load in the order I prefer.

So the answer is yes, it will load sub folders. You can organize them anyway you like so long as you track the load order.

So I have JorgeMC's sound mod. When it unzipped it unzipped a load of different sound files into my z folder. Could I make another folder within my z folder and name it sound mods and put all this unzipped files in there and it will still work? I was under the idea that the file had to be unzipped the way it was right into the z folder? PLease le me know. Thanks...

So I have JorgeMC's sound mod. When it unzipped it unzipped a load of different sound files into my z folder. Could I make another folder within my z folder and name it sound mods and put all this unzipped files in there and it will still work? I was under the idea that the file had to be unzipped the way it was right into the z folder? PLease le me know. Thanks...

In a folder is perfect. As you say just leave all your sounds in a folder marked 'sounds' in the Z folder.

You can easily add in or take out mods or whole a whole group of mods by simply having them in a sub-folder within the Z folder.

In a folder is perfect. As you say just leave all your sounds in a folder marked 'sounds' in the Z folder.

You can easily add in or take out mods or whole a whole group of mods by simply having them in a sub-folder within the Z folder.

But the ones that I want to use have to go in directly under the z folder correct? As the ones in sounds subfolder will not work until I move them into the z folder?

But the ones that I want to use have to go in directly under the z folder correct? As the ones in sounds subfolder will not work until I move them into the z folder?

No, everything in the Z folder will work/be loaded, even if in a subfolder within another folder etc.

-Z (folder)

--Sound(folder)

---Shots(folder)

Will work just as well as:

-Z (folder)

--Shots (folder)

What will happen is that the game will read the files in a specific order. So if you have two files that are identical, the game will read only one of them, and it will choose the one that is in a folder with the first letter further down in the alphabet.

ZSounds will be read before Sounds and so any file in the ZSounds folder will have priority to the ones in the Sound folder. You only have to worry about this if you have duplicates in your mod folder (which might happen down the road if you don’t keep it tidy and clean up once in a while).

Ok, I think I get this now. So the game loads mod folders in reverse alphabetical order? So, Zsounds will override any duplicate named files in Ysounds, or any folder starting with a letter before Z?

Then, does it matter what the specific files are named within each folder? Or will it just load all files in all folders, in the reverse alphabetical order?

Finally, different filenames and types, (vehicles, buildings, terrain), will all just load up regardless of filename, as long as there are no filename discrepancies, correct?

Ok, I think I get this now. So the game loads mod folders in reverse alphabetical order? So, Zsounds will override any duplicate named files in Ysounds, or any folder starting with a letter before Z?

Yes.

Then, does it matter what the specific files are named within each folder? Or will it just load all files in all folders, in the reverse alphabetical order?

The files must have the correct name, or it will not be loaded.

gun.wav can not be named zgun.wav. That file would not be loaded and any other gun.wav sound in the Z folder would be loaded instead, if no other present, then the game would load the original sound.

In several instances you can have more than one file used to create a random pattern (works for most sounds, battle loading background pics and for unit skins). Ex:

gun.wav

gun 2.wav

Would both be loaded, each time its used there would be a 50% probablility that either one is played. Its important that they are correctly named and that the number sequence is not broken or only the files before the error will be used.

Ex:

gun.wav

gun 2.wav

gun 4.wav

gun 5.wav

gun 4.wav and gun 5.wav would not be loaded as the sequence is broken.

Finally, different filenames and types, (vehicles, buildings, terrain), will all just load up regardless of filename, as long as there are no filename discrepancies, correct?

Yes.

If you want to cherry pick like I did I recommend making a folder for each gun sound and label it whose sound mod it is from. In this way you will not accidentally delete the same sounds if you want to compare. Here is my current gun sounds mix, and how it is organized.

sounds.jpg

If anyone has a particular sound they think is the best for a certain gun please post it. I am always checking out new sounds to compare. In some cases you jut have to pick one as more than one can sound very good, or distinctive.

I did a nice mix of voices too, but not organized like I did guns and some other sounds. I liked Mords, but having all Mord just didn't give enough variety. Mine mixes Mord, one from CMSF, some stock, and another one I found. What I think would be VERY cool if a sound mod grog wants a good idea is a movie line voice mod. Lots of cool lines from John Wayne movies to movies like "Saving Pvt. Ryan", "Band of Bothers" ect... It wouldn't need to be from just WW2 movies too.